Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i40 fuel efficiency

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tuamroadgalway

Cheers Barryfitz,
    Best I ever got was 5.9 over about 100 km drive on motorway roads at less than 100 km/hr. That was driving it very easy.
    Point is every car I had before this I could horse them and get better consumption than that. Maybe its just my individual car but im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sorry i should have said it was
    €60 spent on diesel at 1.48 per/l = 40.54 litres

Works out at 4.54l/100km which is pretty good.

~62mpg in the old way of measuring things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Cheers Barryfitz,
    Best I ever got was 5.9 over about 100 km drive on motorway roads at less than 100 km/hr. That was driving it very easy.
    Point is every car I had before this I could horse them and get better consumption than that. Maybe its just my individual car but im not sure

Might be worth asking whoever you bought it from if you could borrow another one and try it for a couple of days against your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Makes me feel good about the 6.9l/100 I'm getting in my silky smooth petrol 1.4TSi Passat. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I have a 1.7 CRDi 136ps Blue Drive manual (U.K import).

I have been averaging between 58 - 62 mpg indicated per tank since i bought it.

Tank is 70 liters and i regularly get over 800 miles per tank before refilling.

This is with 80% motorway / 20% urban driving.

I have found the Hyundai i40 forum fairly informative. You will find that there are many i40 owners posting on that site who are not impressed by the fuel consumption they are achieving.

http://www.talkhyundai.com/hyundaiforumuk/forum/11-hyundai-i40-forum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I think the small diesels need to be driven in a specific manner to achieve decent mpg. And deviation and its only average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Barrowstreet

I also have an i40 and am very dissapointed with the fuel economy. It is far worse than my previous car, which was a 2L TDI Audi A6. I will probably get rid of the i40 early 2014. Published figures are not even remotely achievable. I feel cheated as i expected it to be at least a bit better than my A6, but instead its much worse. Again i have measured it every way possible (filling the tank and then measuring the amount taken to refill it is the most accurate method).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

My gfs father bought 5/6 of these as reps cars last year. He said never again as they are so heavy on diesels. He has about 60 vehicles on fleet ranging from small vans, large vans, Hyundai Tucsons, and a fair smattering of passat estates. He reckons the i40 is the thirstiest of the lot. And that is running the fleet exclusively on topaz fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sounds very dissapointing. They were heralded as a very green new car and look great. Too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Hi. I bought a 2014 i40 blue efficiency model 2 months ago (Irish model) and am averaging 50 and below m.p.g.
    Am very disappointed with this to be honest. The garage have offered to carry out a fuel efficiency test (????) Which I will get done but my question is this.
    Where do I stand from a legal point of view, as m.p.g. was a major factor in my purchase.
    Hyundai are quoting m.p.g. figures 25% more than are achievable in real world conditions.
    Surely my consumer rights are affected due to the provision of misleading information?

• Advertisement

They all do it to be honest but there's also many other variables such as driving style, type of roads, weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MPG figures are based on strictly controlled tests to EU standards which are rarely repeatable in the real world. If the car manufacturer doesn't claim them to be true life economy then there is nothing you can do if the tests comply with EU law.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle

Yep, I never expected to match the test figures but certainly a 25% overestimation figure has to be misleading.
    I have been nursing the car since I've bought it (I don't drive fast at all) and best m.p.g. was 50 according to my calculations, it's less now.
    So I've gone from 53 mpg on a 5 year old focus with no "eco" additions to less than 50 on a brand new car with all the bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Jaysis, my 1.6 Focus petrol gets 9.2L/100KM...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Dozz wrote: »
    So I've gone from 53 mpg on a 5 year old focus with no "eco" additions to less than 50 on a brand new car with all the bells and whistles.

But all the bells and whistles carry weight. You are driving a bigger car, more comfortable car with bigger engine, and your fuel economy almost matches your old Focus. 50mpg is not to be sniffed at. If great MPG was really such a major factor you should have bought a smaller car, or a hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

dutopia wrote: »
    Jaysis, my 1.6 Focus petrol gets 9.2L/100KM...

Thats pretty horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

iiiim in a 1.6 petrol focus and get 7.2/100klm. I drive fairly hard.
    think the above focus driver has a coilpack issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

hellyeah wrote: »
    iiiim in a 1.6 petrol focus and get 7.2/100klm. I drive fairly hard.
    think the above focus driver has a coilpack issue.

Hehe that one is fixed now but it's been like that for a while. Maybe because it's an auto & lots of city driving?

Sorry lads mine was the 1.6 diesel.

43 m.p.g. on the latest calculations. Worse it's getting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That's not good Dozz. I get 40+ (real not dash com) mixed in a petrol Laguna

Big car with an underpowered engine isn't helping it compared to the focus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ireland gets the i40 diesel in 115bhp only unless you opt for the auto. In the UK they get both the 115bhp and 136bhp versions in both manual and automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

But all the bells and whistles carry weight. You are driving a bigger car, more comfortable car with bigger engine, and your fuel economy almost matches your old Focus. 50mpg is not to be sniffed at. If great MPG was really such a major factor you should have bought a smaller car, or a hybrid.

I have a (15 year old design) 2ltr diesel saloon with all the bells and whistles, weighs at least 10% more than an i40 tourer, and I still get 40-42mpg with a faulty MAF.

That the OP is getting somewhere around 44mpg is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

What type of driving do you do?

In my experience driven normally modern diesels rarely give anywhere close to their claimed figures.

I love the way diesel is mentioned at the first whippet of discussion, its like its compulsory to own a diesel now in Ireland ffs.

Hachiko wrote: »
    I love the way diesel is mentioned at the first whippet of discussion, its like its compulsory to own a diesel now in Ireland ffs.

They don't sell petrol i40s here this it's a safe enough assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Hachiko wrote: »

The Ops car is a diesel though?

So do you guy think I have any comeback with the garage ( I have the car less than 3 months)?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Them fuel figures are shocking OP.

I use fuelio on my android phone to track mpg. Auto backup to drive with the pro version that can be easily found online for free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement