Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i40 fuel efficiency

Options
  • 01-09-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,
    I bought a Hyundai i40 last year.
    I have spent a huge amount of time, differing driving styles, calculating actual fuel efficiency by filling tan up the limit and clocking how much km travellled before the next fill up to the limit etc.
    I can only conclude that this car, despite all the advertising regarding fuel economy, start/stop etc. is very hard on fuel. It is certainly the most thirsty i ever owned. I struggled to get 6.2l/100km on very easy driving.
    I know the published figures are not achievable, but by 50%?
    Anyone else any experiences?
    I note Hyundai in the US were fined massively for 'overestimating' their fuel economy.
    Tuam road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What type of driving do you do?

In my experience driven normally modern diesels rarely give anywhere close to their claimed figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to be clear, the US overstated mpg was as follows

1mpg out 580,000 cars
    2mpg out. 240,000 cars
    3-4mpg out 80,000 cars

Hi All,
    I bought a Hyundai i40 last year.
    I have spent a huge amount of time, differing driving styles, calculating actual fuel efficiency by filling tan up the limit and clocking how much km travellled before the next fill up to the limit etc.
    I can only conclude that this car, despite all the advertising regarding fuel economy, start/stop etc. is very hard on fuel. It is certainly the most thirsty i ever owned. I struggled to get 6.2l/100km on very easy driving.
    I know the published figures are not achievable, but by 50%?
    Anyone else any experiences?
    I note Hyundai in the US were fined massively for 'overestimating' their fuel economy.
    Tuam road

Is it petrol or diesel ?

The NEDC test is to blame most of the time as the test is ridiculous and in no way reflects real life driving and should be abolished.

SO if the cars are released with NEDC consumption figures then they are to blame and the manufacturers will simply go along with it.

Yes in the U.S a lot of people get together and sue car companies, that will never happen in Europe.

Ford recently had to send out cheques to owners of their hybrid models because they over stated the economy.

OP, what does your trip computer say you're getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tuamroadgalway

Its a 1.7 diesel, my driving is about 80% motorway, the remainder is decent secondary roads.
    My trip computer varies, but on a very good day i am getting 6.2 - 6.4 l/100km. On a bad day it would be 7-7.4l/100km.
    I have treid other ways of measuring it and it works out around the same.
    I have had 3-4 other cars over the last 8 years approx and each one delivered better fuel economy (passat, volvo v50, insignia, 408). Even driving the above cars hard would beat the i40 being driven like a baby.
    I realise those fuel economy tests massively overestimate the economy, but in any real world test versus any of the cars above, the 140 is rubbish.
    Incase anyone says the trip computer is inaccurate, i realsie that so i use the following test.
    Fill tank to absolute lip. Drive for any length while recording kms. Fill to the lip again while recording the litres required. Divide one by the other to calculate l/100km.

• Advertisement

My petrol civic is getting those figures. Do you buy your fuel in any particular garages, have you spoken to the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I am driving a i30 1.4L diesel. I easily get about 6.2L/100km driving mostly on good primary roads, motorways and occasionally some regional roads. I would certainly not drive in a fuel efficient way! It's probably not a very fair comparison given the smaller car but I'm quite happy with the fuel efficiency I'm getting giving my driving habits.

I buy fuel mainlyt in applegreen, but have done the test with fuel from other garages. I have spoken to the dealer and got the usual guff, driving conditions, wind resistance, driving style etc.
    Its not that its 10% off, its way off and as said before worse than any car i have ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

I have an i40 estate with the same diesel engine as yours that I've had since the end of May. I also keep an eye on the fuel economy using an app on my phone and since new I'm averaging 6.4 litres/100 km (43.85 mpg). I'm also driving in mixed conditions but I'm also a little disappointed with this, my old 2.0 litre diesel Skoda Superb was better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I get diesel in one of the cheapest garages in county Waterford. Running up and down from Dublin on Saturday, trip computer said I did 5.7L/100km for the whole trip in the 1.6 TDI Octavia. Car was filled with a mattress and all sorts.

So it's definitely not the fuel.

Anyone know who actually makes the Hyundai engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

my wifeys polo 6r 1.6 tdi, with 75 horses mostly m50 plus lil city drive on computer shows 5.7 l ./ 100 km.

Once i was going to Limerick with it, in supper dooper eco mode .. . 4.0 l /100 km ... but thats very boring trip tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

People should not take the trip computer as a basis for calculating what the mpg is. In my experiance these are very often, way off.

My opinion is that you should fill the tank to the brim, drive it until virtual empty and then calculate based on distance travelled. I know my trip computer is a waste of time - it tells me I am geting 48mpg when I am actually getting about 35mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

sasol wrote: »
    People should not take the trip computer as a basis for calculating what the mpg is. In my experiance these are very often, way off.

My opinion is that you should fill the tank to the brim, drive it until virtual empty and then calculate based on distance travelled. I know my trip computer is a waste of time - it tells me I am geting 48mpg when I am actually getting about 35mpg

My opinion is your slightly wrong. Calculate after filling again. The amount put in, the 'second time' is the amount used over the distance traveled from the first fill. Thus it can be done at any stage over the tank, not necessarily until nearly empty, though the emptier the tank the less any slight variance of the top up level will effect the results. Thats why some only go to the first click etc. I tend to brim it till i see the fuel.

& while im at it trip computers are always a bit out alright but certainly not by that much, the trip computer or yourself is doing something wrong.

pajor wrote: »

Anyone know who actually makes the Hyundai engine?

They make it themselves, its a development on the older 1.6 crdi engine from the i30/kia ceed

I average 6.2 - 6.5 out of the 2 litre crdi in the sonata, the i40 should surely be doing alot better.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They make it themselves, its a development on the older 1.6 crdi engine from the i30/kia ceed

Does that not explain something then? Or am I just being cynical? :rolleyes:

pajor wrote: »
    Does that not explain something then? Or am I just being cynical? :rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but its not like they've never made engines before. We have the 1.6 crdi 116hp and its a little cracker (not bought in from another manufacturer either btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

This is something ive been looking into myself lately,
    I've a Audi A3,1.6TDi, 7 speed S Tronic
    driving carefully everywhere i go, but not annoyingly so i'm getting between 4.2L/100km to 4.5L/100/km, on the cars display,
    on a tank full of €60 Diesel i'm getting just over 900 km travelled, good or bad ?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My opinion is your slightly wrong. Calculate after filling again. The amount put in, the 'second time' is the amount used over the distance traveled from the first fill. Thus it can be done at any stage over the tank, not necessarily until nearly empty, though the emptier the tank the less any slight variance of the top up level will effect the results. Thats why some only go to the first click etc. I tend to brim it till i see the fuel.

& while im at it trip computers are always a bit out alright but certainly not by that much, the trip computer or yourself is doing something wrong.

Your calculation technique makes sense.

I have my car 7 years now and from day 1 , the trip calculator has been way off , so I tend to treat them all with a sense of distrust.

sasol wrote: »
    Your calculation technique makes sense.

I have my car 7 years now and from day 1 , the trip calculator has been way off , so I tend to treat them all with a sense of distrust.

I'd be curious to see where your big trip computer difference is coming from. Your not using u.s. gallons for your calculations by any chance? When the tank is nearly empty are you using the volume figure of an completely empty tank or estimating what could be left....because say for example my fuel light comes on when the trip computer says over hundred km's left, but in fuel terms thats could be up to 7 litres still in there, thats a fair bit, & impossible to truly quantify in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/hyundai/i40-saloon-2012

1.6 GDi 42.8 mpg - -
    1.6 GDi Blue Drive 47.1 mpg - -
    1.7 CRDi 115ps Blue Drive 65.7 mpg - -
    1.7 CRDi 136ps 55.4 mpg 47.8 mpg 86%
    1.7 CRDi 136ps Automatic 47.1 mpg 45.0 mpg 95%
    1.7 CRDi 136ps Blue Drive 62.8 mpg 48.5 mpg 77%

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but its not like they've never made engines before. We have the 1.6 crdi 116hp and its a little cracker (not bought in from another manufacturer either btw)

I do mean mostly in terms of fuel economy, but I do think I'm just being cynical. :D
    Looking at figures in the past though for Japanese and Korean made diesel engines, in terms of economy and emissions they weren't exactly up to scratch with European diesels.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see where your big trip computer difference is coming from. Your not using u.s. gallons for your calculations by any chance? When the tank is nearly empty are you using the volume figure of an completely empty tank or estimating what could be left....because say for example my fuel light comes on when the trip computer says over hundred km's left, but in fuel terms thats could be up to 7 litres still in there, thats a fair bit, & impossible to truly quantify in any case.

I'm using the uk calculation . 4.55 liters per gallon.

When the 'distance to empty' reaches 0 , then I fill up.

Just totally inaccurate. I gave up on it a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I buy fuel mainlyt in applegreen, but have done the test with fuel from other garages. I have spoken to the dealer and got the usual guff, driving conditions, wind resistance, driving style etc.
    Its not that its 10% off, its way off and as said before worse than any car i have ever owned.

I find applegreen fuel to be muck

OP here.
    Are there any other i40 drivers who experience such poor fuel consumption. Mine is worse than any other car I owned previously, so much so that I am thinking of getting rid of it.
    The reason I bought it was for fuel economy, if it can deliver better (r at least the same) as previous cars I don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Hi OP, could you post your own calculation versus the trip computer?

My old man got an i40 back in Jan or Feb, 1.7 diesel saloon. He certainly seems to getting better fuel economy that the figures you have stated. Any time ive sat into the car the Average figure is around 5.5-5.8, he resets it on most fillups and does a decent bit of mixed driving

He had the 1.6 diesel i30 (5 speed 2010 model) before the i40 and he only recently commented on how much better on fuel the i40 is Vs the i30. All his observations are based on trip computer, not sure he has calculated manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

This is something ive been looking into myself lately,
    I've a Audi A3,1.6TDi, 7 speed S Tronic
    driving carefully everywhere i go, but not annoyingly so i'm getting between 4.2L/100km to 4.5L/100/km, on the cars display,
    on a tank full of €60 Diesel i'm getting just over 900 km travelled, good or bad ?

'€60' means nothing in the context.

How many litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Caliden wrote: »
    '€60' means nothing in the context.

How many litres.

Sorry i should have said it was
    €60 spent on diesel at 1.48 per/l = 40.54 litres

OP here, I don't want to get into the question of whether the trip computer is accurate or not to take over the thread: in my experience it consistently underestimates the consumption by 10-15% minimum, but then it depends on what distance it is doing the calculation over (since reset of trip meter).

What I want to focus on is whether the i40, by manual calculation or by trip computer uses more fuel than other average cars (given that it is supposed to be much better).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

My question about trip computer Vs manual calculations was just curiosity...

To answer you initial question based on the ould chaps car, your consumption is respectably higher than his. The figure of 5.5-5.8 given earlier is with him driving normally. Ive taken his car on an "eco drive" of about 100 KMs (50/50 motorway/backroads) and averaged 4.4 l/100KM, that was sticking to 110 KM on the motorway sections. Seems to be something a bit off with yours.

Whats the best you have gotten out of it? over what distance? and what types of roads were you on?

Advertisement