Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SantryRed wrote: »
    Anyone been to Blackrock or DL to see if the prices have risen there yet?

it will probably be reported on their facebook pages first, by punters, I doubt they will be shouting about it. No reports yet.

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oblivious, are you suggesting that Cute Hoor and HH13 are Craft Beers? your post definitely suggests you are suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oblivious, are you suggesting that Cute Hoor and HH13 are Craft Beers?
    Here we go again... What is your definition of craft beer? its not like its some scientific term set in stone, maybe there are legal definitions in some countries, there will be loads of variants.

Here is one I found for the US
    The Brewers Association (B.A.) merely requires that a brewery produce fewer than six million barrels a year to qualify as “craft.” That’s 1.98 billion bottles, a volume achieved only by the world’s largest international mega-conglomerate brewers. So, size clearly isn’t everything.

even if there is too much cute hoor brewed I can understand why people would call it craft beer, or "craft-like beer" like how denny might have homestyle ham or butchers ham or similar terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Oblivious, are you suggesting that Cute Hoor and HH13 are Craft Beers? your post definitely suggests you are suggesting it.

mmmh no, its was a response I got to a new/refurnished local when I asked what Irish craft they had. The pub just felt they need to "fill a space" and that what the marcos had. in short it summed up the pubs mentality.

Any way craft is an amorphous term. Keep trying to define it just pays into the macros hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ah, lads - can we stay on topic please.

The whole argument issue of what is or is not a craft beer can be taken to another thread if needed.

Thanks,

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

These huge price increases are very disappointing. Most places now have pubs with cheaper drinks than those offered here. I mean 4 euro for Tuborg is a bit of robbery, its usually anywhere between 3 - 3.50 in the majority of pubs.

I guess this is their action plan to try and not attract certain clientele, hike the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Its 4.8 % or 4.6% Tuborg, must be bringing it in from Carlberg in Northampton.
    I'd be surprised if these prices are uniform across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Its 4.8 % or 4.6% Tuborg, must be bringing

The carlsberg is uk alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its 4.8 % or 4.6% Tuborg, must be bringing it in from Carlberg in Northampton.
    I'd be surprised if these prices are uniform across the country.

It'd make a bit more sense if the prices were higher for booze in the new Blanch location alright. Keep food prices low, but booze prices high, to ensure a less rowdy crowd. Might be a wise precaution given the slightly rougher area than their previous locations.

Has anyone been in the 40ft / TTT this week to see if the new menus have been applied there as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd make a bit more sense if the prices were higher for booze in the new Blanch location alright. Keep food prices low, but booze prices high, to ensure a less rowdy crowd. Might be a wise precaution given the slightly rougher area than their previous locations.

Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ffs.

Do you disagree with my statement? Blanchardstown is statistically a lower income, higher crime area than Blackrock. I thought I phrased that relatively tactfully in my post.

Given Wetherspoon's stated desire to avoid developing a 'rough' reputation in Ireland I think it would make sense for them to have higher alcohol prices in areas with more potential for trouble. It'd pay for increased security, at the least, even if it didn't also have customer profiling benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Seemingly the prices haven't changed in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe they're not expecting to shift as much food \ coffees \ breakfasts in the new locations so need to balance the books with higher prices on drinks?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Seemingly the prices haven't changed in Dun Laoghaire.

Yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I hit the €2.45 Bengali in the Forty Foot last night like it was going out of fashion.

Jeebus but that place is badly managed. It wasn't by any means full and there seemed to be loads of staff milling about, but there was an hour wait for food and bar service was painfully slow; only Hobgoblin on cask and by 8pm they had almost run out of Curry Club curries. I'd have thought they'd have got their logistics nailed down after six months, but it always seems to be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

dun laoghaire seems to be the most badly run, i see young fellas packing crisps and bottles while there's loads of people standing waiting, another chap robbin from the till :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    I hit the €2.45 Bengali in the Forty Foot last night like it was going out of fashion.

Jeebus but that place is badly managed. It wasn't by any means full and there seemed to be loads of staff milling about, but there was an hour wait for food and bar service was painfully slow; only Hobgoblin on cask and by 8pm they had almost run out of Curry Club curries. I'd have thought they'd have got their logistics nailed down after six months, but it always seems to be like this.

When I was there last month it was much the same. I ordered a curry, only to be told that they didn't have it, so I ordered something else instead. They came back to me several minutes later to tell me that they did have the one that I originally ordered and that it was the replacement that was, in fact, out of stock. When the food arrived they were extremely apologetic about the earlier mix up but the curry I actually received was neither of the two. :eek: Ultimately, it made little difference to me but it was really a comedy of errors.

When friends arrived later the kitchen then shut down altogether due to some fault, only to spontaneously re-open 5 minutes later, albeit without anyone being informed.

The beer was cheap though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I assume the price was the reason all those guests kept going back to Fawlty Towers too. That, and no TripAdvisor in the 1970s...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

its not the most organized pub for sure, but that can be said of the vast majority of pubs in ireland that ive been to. The people didnt help either. Rather than use the bar, they all queued up in front of the till, which just seemed crazy to me.

Aside from that though i think its a nice pub.

-Fairly clean & i dont hate the styling.
    -great selection of drinks.
    -amazing prices.
    -awesome location.
    -security staff very good at keeping skumbags out. Saw them stop a lot of people, and there was absolutely no trouble in the few hours i was there.

That its a nice location and not horrible to drink in and is secure is nice, but that we could get a double jameson, pint of cider for less than 8 euros is staggering. Same round in any irish pub is over 16 euros.

Either they have insane buying power, or the publicans of Ireland have been shafting the public for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    but that we could get a double jameson, pint of cider for less than 8 euros is staggering. Same round in any irish pub is over 16 euros.

Either they have insane buying power, or the publicans of Ireland have been shafting the public for a long time.

3.95 for Jameson + 2.00 for double = 5.95

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf

Draught cider is 2.95?

= 8.90?

• Advertisement

That its a nice location and not horrible to drink in and is secure is nice, but that we could get a double jameson, pint of cider for less than 8 euros is staggering. Same round in any irish pub is over 16 euros.

Over 16 in Dublin?

In Galway city centre Jameson would be 4.00-4.50, so say maybe 8.60 for a double.

Draught cider would be 5.00????

So 13.60 for that round, approx.

Geuze wrote: »
    Over 16 in Dublin?

In Galway city centre Jameson would be 4.00-4.50, so say maybe 8.60 for a double.

Draught cider would be 5.00????

So 13.60 for that round, approx.

5.50 for a single spirit in Dublin city centre. Pint is anywhere from 5.10 to 6 quid depending on where and when you go.

Geuze wrote: »
    3.95 for Jameson + 2.00 for double = 5.95

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf

Draught cider is 2.95?

= 8.90?

3.95(single whiskey) + 2 euro (double up price) = 5.95 + 2.95 (cider price)= 8.90

Your maths checks out!

40 foot prices < regular prices, by a lot.

If you add in a mixer which is (being generous again) at least 2 quid in a regular pub, but free in Witherspoons the difference increases further.

5.50 for a single spirit in Dublin city centre. Pint is anywhere from 5.10 to 6 quid depending on where and when you go.

Thanks.

I don't go out in Dublin much at all, maybe once per year.

So whiskey is 5.50 - I would have guessed maybe 4.70.

I'm guessing Guinness is available within the canals for 4.60-4.80? [Not Temple Bar]

I presume lager is over 5.00 everywhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both.

Go to an area where the publican knows if he shafts his customers they simply won't come back (real rural countryside); and has lower costs and they'll be close - enough - to Wetherspoons. But JDW will inevitably be paying less for the raw product than said country pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Blut2 wrote: »
    Do you disagree with my statement? Blanchardstown is statistically a lower income, higher crime area than Blackrock. I thought I phrased that relatively tactfully in my post.

Not sure where income fits into it does the income include deductions made for money left for nama and nalm to deal with or wifes assets of guys in receivership.

Do you have a link to the crime stats for the two areas and do these stats include the cases where daddy paid to keep their kids out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Right that's enough of that. This is a discussion about Wetherspoons not socio-economic politics.

Back on topic purrrlease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Stevek101 wrote: »
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavern2015.pdf

The old menus, while they are still there... It looks like the prices have gone up a fair bit. Bottles are now 3.25 instead of 2.45.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

New menu and a quick comparison, price increases across the board.

TSsgp1C.jpg

Bengali Tiger and Sweet Action still €2.45 per can makes me a happy bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Just don't head out to Blanch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

All the main draught ales (Hogoblin, Adnams Ghost Ship and Broadside) have gone from €2.50 to €3.75 in Dun Laoghaire?! :eek:

I can understand inflation given the Euro crisis, but f*ckin' hell. Any chance that this is only temporary?

Advertisement