Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Agree with John. That Courtney Barnett is a great little bit of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

John would get you through any lockdown in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Neil Young, then Jackson Browne, then Donald Fagen, then some more Donald Fagen.

Pelvis is right; extend the lockdown so long as we have Creedo!

For me, the John Creedon Show is excellent, and it is an oasis in the arid desert of most RTÉ programming. I thoroughly enjoy the two hours he’s on. He’s entertaining, knowledgeable, has a light touch and it’s not all about him. There’s a great eclectic mix of music, he has a great voice, and there’s a sense of calm.

Such a nice way to end the day.

Adam and the Ants....there's a band you don't hear much on the radio anymore.

• Advertisement

Followed by the Radiators from Space....there's a band you can't hear too much of on the radio anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Followed by the Radiators from Space....there's a band you can't hear too much of on the radio anytime.

Philip Chevron's anniversary was last week. Did JC mention that?

Hardly ever get to listen these days unless I'm in the car for short periods. I usually have it on every evening on the outside speakers in the summer.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Philip Chevron's anniversary was last week. Did JC mention that?

Hardly ever get to listen these days unless I'm in the car for short periods. I usually have it on every evening on the outside speakers in the summer.

Might have done joe but must admit i only half heard his post song spiel as had kettle on the boil at the time! Phil is still sorely missed, must spin the album later now I'm reminded of it.

Might have done joe but must admit i only half heard his post song spiel as had kettle on the boil at the time! Phil is still sorely missed, must spin the album later now I'm reminded of it.

Yes indeed. Philip was one of the first musicians to come on the internet and interact with fans back in 2002/3. Well before Twitter and FaceBook there was a "Friends of Shane" site and a Pogues site with forum capabilities. As the years went on and the Pogues started gigging regularly again he was a great man to put forum members names plus 1, with aftershow passes at the door.

It would be worth anyones while to go pogues.com and read the interactions he had with people. He wouldn't be shy about tearing you to strips if he felt you deserved it either.

A wonderful wordsmith.

Ah the boys with the beards. Visualizing the video in real time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭RINO87

What was that glorious piece of guitar self indulgence either last or second to last tune? It was bloody fantastic but I missed the name of the track!

Yes indeed. Philip was one of the first musicians to come on the internet and interact with fans back in 2002/3. Well before Twitter and FaceBook there was a "Friends of Shane" site and a Pogues site with forum capabilities. As the years went on and the Pogues started gigging regularly again he was a great man to put forum members names plus 1, with aftershow passes at the door.

It would be worth anyones while to go pogues.com and read the interactions he had with people. He wouldn't be shy about tearing you to strips if he felt you deserved it either.

A wonderful wordsmith.

I remember he used to pop in now and again on the medusa forum where i posted a bit for a while and, like you say, he wasn't shy about giving lads both barrels when it was needed. But mostly it was the warmth and generosity that shone through, the sense of gratitude he had for what the business bestowed him. He never took any of it for granted.

He was great for the pogues but a part of me still feels he should always have been a band leader in his own right. But maybe it suited him best the way it worked out?

I remember he used to pop in now and again on the medusa forum where i posted a bit for a while and, like you say, he wasn't shy about giving lads both barrels when it was needed. But mostly it was the warmth and generosity that shone through, the sense of gratitude he had for what the business bestowed him. He never took any of it for granted.

He was great for the pogues but a part of me still feels he should always have been a band leader in his own right. But maybe it suited him best the way it worked out?

You probably know me so. :D

Phil put me in my place once or twice. Wrongly in 2010 and we never got on after that. That being said I'll appreciate the quality of the man till the day I die.

Pity Medusa is gone so dead these days. It was a madhouse one time.

Do you remember Celtic Dave? He died last march.

You probably know me so. :D

Phil put me in my place once or twice. Wrongly in 2010 and we never got on after that. That being said I'll appreciate the quality of the man till the day I die.

Pity Medusa is gone so dead these days. It was a madhouse one time.

Do you remember Celtic Dave? He died last march.

Ha! Don't worry...was more an occasional lurker there so wouldn't have known anyone. Actually had no idea it was still going...10 years probably since i last checked in. Was an entertaining place to say the least, some very deep philosophical debates interspersed with a lot of meandering rubbish. Very pogueish really! Did spider pay the odd visit too or did i only dream that?

Ha! Don't worry...was more an occasional lurker there so wouldn't have known anyone. Actually had no idea it was still going...10 years probably since i last checked in. Was an entertaining place to say the least, some very deep philosophical debates interspersed with a lot of meandering rubbish. Very pogueish really! Did spider pay the odd visit too or did i only dream that?

Do yio renember the oirish roiver who typed in Dublineese coise hoie always wanted toi be an OIrishman He used toi put Os besoide Is and Is besoide Os and Droive everyboidy mad.
    Philip gave him a lot of leeway but gave up in the end.

It was a great forum along with PRS. There were rivals on each site that used to snipe at each other. It's a s good as fizzled out now. Just memories and anniversaries these days. I made some great friends through both of those sites and am in regular contact all the time. Up to last year I've had visits from forum members from as far as Japan and Australia and met lots more at shows in the UK and all over Ireland.

Yes Spider and James Fearnley used to contribute . James's posts are well worth searching for too. Another wizard with words. Spider used to come on like a bull in a china shop and rear up on people as only spider can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Do yio renember the oirish roiver who typed in Dublineese coise hoie always wanted toi be an OIrishman He used toi put Os besoide Is and Is besoide Os and Droive everyboidy mad.

Sounds joost loike de Loiveline thread, caller.

I always thought Spider Stacey was a great moniker btw.

RINO87 wrote: »
    What was that glorious piece of guitar self indulgence either last or second to last tune? It was bloody fantastic but I missed the name of the track!

I think it was The Bluest Blues by Alvin Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are all fans of JC on this thread, but was wondering what other shows you'd recommend on Irish radio?

NIMAN wrote: »
    We are all fans of JC on this thread, but was wondering what other shows you'd recommend on Irish radio?

Er, um, I need to think about that. I may be gone a little while, to quote a phrase

It was a great forum along with PRS. There were rivals on each site that used to snipe at each other. It's a s good as fizzled out now. Just memories and anniversaries these days. I made some great friends through both of those sites and am in regular contact all the time. Up to last year I've had visits from forum members from as far as Japan and Australia and met lots more at shows in the UK and all over Ireland.

Yes Spider and James Fearnley used to contribute . James's posts are well worth searching for too. Another wizard with words. Spider used to come on like a bull in a china shop and rear up on people as only spider can do.

Yeah, remember that chap alright, a definite headwrecker. Actually just had a look in and amazed the forum is still going at all, just assumed it would have been long gone by now. First thread i opened some lad is berating Spider for coming across like a "pimply teener". I probably won't get any work done at all today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

NIMAN wrote: »

Roadhouse Cafe on Midlands Radio 3 should be up your street. 10PM on Friday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭RINO87

I think it was The Bluest Blues by Alvin Lee

Thats the one, cheers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Good man, John.

Steely Dan and Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Yeah, remember that chap alright, a definite headwrecker. Actually just had a look in and amazed the forum is still going at all, just assumed it would have been long gone by now. First thread i opened some lad is berating Spider for coming across like a "pimply teener". I probably won't get any work done at all today!

I went back there a few weeks ago looking for a quote of my own and spent 2 evenings reminiscing. James' stories from the road are worth a look up.

Sorry for hijacking the thread folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

JC palyed a version of 'Dirty Old Town' on wednesday night that I didn't recognise. I checked on the playlist on website but is only listed as PRS. Anyone recall who it was?

Ta mucho.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Was it Ewan McColl's version?

jimmymack wrote: »
    Was it Ewan McColl's version?

Yeah, think it was. With Peggy Seeger, the best version imo, love the clarinet in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Didn't think it was the Ewan MCColl version but I hadn't a clear listen but there was clarinet!!

Will go for a right listen.

edit

Yep. Was Ewan and Peggy alright...got a right listen. Great clarinet alright...had forgotten that!!!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Roadhouse Cafe on Midlands Radio 3 should be up your street. 10PM on Friday evenings.

Is that Midlands 103?
    Thats the only similar sounding station on my Irish radio app.

Edit: yip, found it online. Sadly seems to be no LISTEN BACK option for that show.
    https://www.midlands103.com/on-air/ann-marie-kelly/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Never heard that song by The Band before - good stuff :)

Advertisement