Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DISCUSSION] Let's just give a family a house.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Noble idea but I'd have a horrible feeling that doing it that way will only cause the lucky family all sorts of grief from the taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I know this but I still think that the right charity could do so much more with €100,000 and help so many families in need rather than just giving it to the one family. There will still be thousands more who need help even though I would love if I could give a house or what ever these families need to them but that's just not feasible so I think that giving a couple of thousand or what ever will mean so much more that one house.

Charities have staff.

This way, one family gets the most amazing gift. Not the a proportion of it after the staff have been paid.

This is a one-off experiment in manifesting an idea that everyone has thought "could it work?" at some time or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Jake1 wrote: »
    true, but in fairness, sometimes the wackiest ideas can work the best.

it is a lovely idea.
    Lovely, but impractical.
    How does anyone know this is not a scam.
    Where would the money be donated to.
    Who would be accountable for it,
    How would you choose who would receive the gift and on what basis.
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

P_1 wrote: »
    Noble idea but I'd have a horrible feeling that doing it that way will only cause the lucky family all sorts of grief from the taxman

I'm sure we can figure out how to do it, plenty of brains on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

MadsL wrote: »
    I'm sure we can figure out how to do it, plenty of brains on boards.

That there is, sadly there are also plenty of brains in the revenue who I'm sure would do everything in their power to make sure they get their 'cut'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Can we give an Afghanistani family a house?

Cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jake1 wrote: »
    true, but in fairness, sometimes the wackiest ideas can work the best.

it is a lovely idea.

It will be very easy to see if this wacky/lovely idea works. The deadline is Christmas so around mid November we will see how much is in the kitty. If it is not going too well the OP might want to lift the rather bureacratic ruling that the maximum donation allowed is €10. If it is looking like a non runner at that stage some generous individual could step in with a substantial donation. After all we have to think of the children, they are the most important people in the equation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Charities have staff.

This way, one family gets the most amazing gift. Not the a proportion of it after the staff have been paid.

This is a one-off experiment in manifesting an idea that everyone has thought "could it work?" at some time or other.

Then cut out the huge charities with staff. I'm talking about the volunteer organisations helping to feed, house and help the homeless. I'm sure giving and organisation like this a house would help houndreds of people rather than one family.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Lovely, but impractical.
    How does anyone know this is not a scam.
    Where would the money be donated to.
    Who would be accountable for it,
    How would you choose who would receive the gift and on what basis.
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

I'm on boards over 10 years, if I'm scamming I would be playing a hell of a long game. DeVore knows who I am if that means anything to you.

I don't plan to go anywhere near the money.

I think we can set up a beneficiary of some sort at http://www.fundit.ie where the pledges only activate once you hit goal, so no money moves until we are ready to buy the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

What'll we do when the family uses the equity in the house to put deposits on 10 apartments and then comes back to boards looking for a bailout ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'll make the sandwiches, that's the only skill I can offer.
    Oh now stop..you have other "skills" missy.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,844 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If we buy them this can we wrap this thread up early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

There's a show from America where they do something similar. Build a house for families with sob stories and no pot to piss in. 1 out of 10 are still in the houses. 2 out of 10 sold the house and blew the money on drinks drugs and Vegas, and 7 out of 10 sold the house cause they couldn't afford the property taxes,heating/utility bills etc.

P_1 wrote: »
    That there is, sadly there are also plenty of brains in the revenue who I'm sure would do everything in their power to make sure they get their 'cut'.

idk - but even if was lending the family 100k at 0.0001% interest with a 10,000 year repayment period I'm sure we could find some way to go with our will.

Come on folks, dream aloud, let's do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think we can set up a beneficiary of some sort at http://www.fundit.ie where the pledges only activate once you hit goal, so no money moves until we are ready to buy the house.

Buy the house for whom?

Why do you keep ignoring the question about how such beneficiaries would be selected?

Why not just help out with; or give money to the people and causes you respect?

Quazzie wrote: »
    If we buy them this can we wrap this thread up early

does it come with the Snow?

Calibos wrote: »
    There's a show from America where they do something similar. Build a house for families with sob stories and no pot to piss in. 1 out of 10 are still in the houses. 2 out of 10 sold the house and blew the money on drinks drugs and Vegas, and 7 out of 10 sold the house cause they couldn't afford the property taxes,heating/utility bills etc.

Did you just make up those statistics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Calibos wrote: »

Read about this too here's a link to the article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304017404575165840903285032.html?mod=rss_media_marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

idk - but even if was lending the family 100k at 0.0001% interest with a 10,000 year repayment period I'm sure we could find some way to go with our will.

Come on folks, dream aloud, let's do this.

In your American case a construction company paid for the house. There are private companies here able to pay their executives up to €15 million a year so one of them could do it. Instead of calling on the hard pressed denizens of Boards to put their hands in their pockets again. You know, property tax, TV licence etc.

Buy the house for whom?

Why do you keep ignoring the question about how such beneficiaries would be selected?

Why not just help out with; or give money to the people and causes you respect?

I'm not choosing the family.

I'm sure we can figure that out, someone somewhere will have a proposal.

We'll start a closed forum, get proposals and vote.

Done.

Next problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm in for a tenner.

Maybe create a crowd-funding page on something like indie-gogo or fundit, set a goal, people can pledge, if the goal is reached, we give our tenner, if not, we lose nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    What'll we do when the family uses the equity in the house to put deposits on 10 apartments and then comes back to boards looking for a bailout ?
    Up the limit to €50 per person for that fund - only decent thing to do really, we'd only have ourselves to blame.

In your American case a construction company paid for the house. There are private companies here able to pay their executives up to €15 million a year so one of them could do it. Instead of calling on the hard pressed denizens of Boards to put their hands in their pockets again. You know, property tax, TV licence etc.

Christ.

That is the most depressing post I have read in a while.

You don't want to contribute, by all means don't, but please stop making the begrudger stereotype come true in spades.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm on boards over 10 years, if I'm scamming I would be playing a hell of a long game. DeVore knows who I am if that means anything to you.

I don't plan to go anywhere near the money.

Lets say you hit the target amount. Explain what happens then? Where would this €100k house be located? Can I apply to be the beneficiary? If I do how will I be assessed vis-à-vis all the other applicants? How do you ensure the applicants are genuine? Who will audit the process to ensure there is no funny business?
    We need some details here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'm not choosing the family.

I'm sure we can figure that out, someone somewhere will have a proposal.

We'll start a closed forum, get proposals and vote.

Done.

Next problem.
    Everyone will pledge, then, when you go to collect, mobiles will be turned off, curtains drawn, teeth sucked and lies told. You have caught "The Yank", you've gone native Madser.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm in for a tenner.

Maybe create a crowd-funding page on something like indie-gogo or fundit, set a goal, people can pledge, if the goal is reached, we give our tenner, if not, we lose nothing.

Awesome! Legend for ignoring the moaners.

That's the plan. No funds get transfered till we make target.

€99,870 to go. Almost a house in Detroit already.

Everyone will pledge, then, when you go to collect, mobiles will be turned off, curtains drawn, teeth sucked and lies told. You have caught "The Yank", you've gone native Madser.

Once you pledge on sites like indie-gogo or fundit you give your card details.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Lets say you hit the target amount. Explain what happens then? Where would this €100k house be located? Can I apply to be the beneficiary? If I do how will I be assessed vis-à-vis all the other applicants? How do you ensure the applicants are genuine? Who will audit the process to ensure there is no funny business?
    We need some details here?

KPMG? :D

I'm sure we can figure something out...

Where would this €100k house be located?
    Wherever suits the beneficiary

Can I apply to be the beneficiary?
    No, has to be nominated and is unknown to the family.

How do you ensure the applicants are genuine?
    Ask for details from the nominator, get someone to check they pan out.

Who will audit the process to ensure there is no funny business?
    Who would you like to audit it? Are you volunteering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I can appreciate/respect the motivation behind this thread but....

It's pretty rare that you can give someone something of value and have a lasting impact. There are endless charities all over the world that try to feed starving people in X...but it's been decades and there are still starving people in X.

If you give someone a fish, they'll eat it. And they'll need another fish.

Most people who experience an unexpected financial downturn, bounce back pretty quickly. People with serious sob stories, even with a house, are unlikely to have a happy ending.

Take an extreme example; use myself. I have a good enough job, live in a tiny apartment, ride a bicycle. Let's say you felt bad for me and my lack of a car; so you buy me a brand new BMW for 40k.

The thing is, as great as that is; I couldn't afford it. Even though you GAVE it to me, I would need a license, insurance, a place to park it, money for petrol and money for maintenance and....naturally....money for taxes.

And, even if I managed to afford it for a few years, in five years I'll have a five year old, poorly maintained, frequently dinged up, vehicle. And I could *never* afford to replace it with an equal car. I'd have grown accustom to a very high standard that I could never expect to match. Had I slowly improved my financial situation, and gotten a used car, it would have seemed great compared to my bicycle. But now, I'd turn my nose up at a used car - I'm used to 40k BMWs.

Maybe, in very specific cases, you could find someone who needs money *now* but who will make a complete financial 'recovery'. But mostly, you are treating a symptom of something else.

There are studies on people who receive large prizes - like winning a > million euro lotto - and the vast majority of them end up as poor, or poorer, than they started in just a few short years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Awesome! Legend for ignoring the moaners.

That's the plan. No funds get transfered till we make target.

€99,970 to go. Almost a house in Detroit already.

I don't want to move there. Can you get me a house in Hawaii instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement