Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DISCUSSION] Let's just give a family a house.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'll do it if you employ boards trades people to build it and then make a tv show about it so at least I'll have got my moneys worth in entertainment value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

pharmaton wrote: »
    I'll do it if you employ boards trades people to build it and then make a tv show about it so at least I'll have got my moneys worth in entertainment value.
    dr.bollocko as foreman.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Not everybody without a house is just trying to scam money.
    I, for example am in full time education, trying to support my baby girl and my boyfriend is desperately searching for work and being turned down at every opportunity. We HATE looking like fools who just want everybodys hard earned money, we have pride and we just wish we could make it ourselves!

This thread, and the kind people who would actually do this for the poor, genuine families who really need the help, would have been of a huge help to us last year when we couldn't even afford milk!
    I would of course pledge €10. I'm doing a lot better and even though we still don't get much money, I would happily give what I can to help someone who is where I was last year!

Good on ya for starting this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Or give 10,000 homeless or unemployed people a €10 note to help them with their weekly shopping. Surely this is fairer than giving it all to one family.

But not lifechanging. You donate €10 and get to see the look of absolute amazement on a family's faces. Priceless.
    Perhaps posters could be sponsored for SSF photos? I'll donate €100 for MadsL.

Nope. €10 each is the limit. We all do this together in equal measure.

Thanks for pledging though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Why one family op how about a few families or else the setting up of a boardsie fund for helping people in need distributed how to people who donate see fit that is constantly open for donations and helping a wide variety of people and causes not just one of the thousands of families in need in Ireland today.

• Advertisement

Jennii. wrote: »
    Not everybody without a house is just trying to scam money.
    I, for example am in full time education, trying to support my baby girl and my boyfriend is desperately searching for work and being turned down at every opportunity. We HATE looking like fools who just want everybodys hard earned money, we have pride and we just wish we could make it ourselves!

This thread, and the kind people who would actually do this for the poor, genuine families who really need the help, would have been of a huge help to us last year when we couldn't even afford milk!
    I would of course pledge €10. I'm doing a lot better and even though we still don't get much money, I would happily give what I can to help someone who is where I was last year!

Good on ya for starting this thread!

Awesome!

€99,910 to go!

dr.bollocko as foreman.:D

I'd like to see Dev with a hardhat on

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I've a mortgage, family, and working, so paying a lot of tax.

Do I qualify for a handout as my disposable income is less then that of some of the "most vulnerable in society?

Why one family op how about a few families or else the setting up of a boardsie fund for helping people in need distributed how to people who donate see fit that is constantly open for donations and helping a wide variety of people and causes not just one of the thousands of families in need in Ireland today.

We have that already in SSF. And this is just a one off.

€10 you won't necessarily miss and the chance to be there to see a family walk into a house they now own. They'd be blown away.

it could be an housing project, build several eco friendly type units using the ingenuity and skillset available at boards disposal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MadsL wrote: »
    ...and we get to name the house Atari Jaguar :D

Troll Cottage has a nice ring to it.

it could be an housing project, build several eco friendly type units using the ingenuity and skillset available at boards disposal/
    I'll make the sandwiches, that's the only skill I can offer.

Nice idea alright, but there are already lots of Charities who could use the tenner to provide housing.

Social Housing schemes such as Cluid are always glad of donations, and they already have everything in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Awesome!

€99,910 to go!
    ahh right, my moneys no good to you. I had you at €99890..

Off you go organise it then, Fantastic idea, I can't help as I am in the US.

http://www.habitat.org/

These guys do just that.

Me, I just want to donate €10 and watch something amazing happen. I need 9,991 others who feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I lik this idea Mad, the country needs ideas like this to help us lift ourselves up.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm in if that phrase 'stand together' goes.

I'll make the sandwiches, that's the only skill I can offer.

we could hold Dermot Bannon hostage until he designs us something nice, with a courtyard. I'm good at tying ropes.

ahh right, my moneys no good to you. I had you at €99890..

No, you have me at €99900, I'm only letting you donate a tenner. :D Them's the rules.

€10 you won't necessarily miss and the chance to be there to see a family walk into a house they now own. They'd be blown away.

See, thats the bit, I dont like, ''the chance to see a family walk into a house they now own''

So everyone who donates gets to stand outside staring at the family move in, ?

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm in if that phrase 'stand together' goes.

Deal.

€99,880 to go.

Jake1 wrote: »
    See, thats the bit, I dont like, ''the chance to see a family walk into a house they now own''

So everyone who donates gets to stand outside staring at the family move in, ?

Nah, I'd say it'll be posted on boards as a video.

The location should be a secret I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This has to be a contender for 'wackiest idea of the year' award.

Roger_007 wrote: »

true, but in fairness, sometimes the wackiest ideas can work the best.

it is a lovely idea.

...but it might just work...are you in Mr Bond?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We Irish are a nation of begrudgers, give one family a house and future generations will be still talking about it in 800 years.

Op has had worse to be fair to him.

The house should be given to a family called the Peterson's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Facebook is that way
    >

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

We have that already in SSF. And this is just a one off.

I know this but I still think that the right charity could do so much more with €100,000 and help so many families in need rather than just giving it to the one family. There will still be thousands more who need help even though I would love if I could give a house or what ever these families need to them but that's just not feasible so I think that giving a couple of thousand or what ever will mean so much more that one house.

• Advertisement

Facebook is that way
    >

Username is apt.

I asked Zuckerberg for a tenner, he's a cnut, told me boards was this way.

Are you in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement