Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

marno21 wrote: »
    The southern half of the Rathkeale bypass is being re-surfaced at the moment. Surprising enough considering it'll be used in this upgrade.

That could be 4-5 years off. That's a lot of journeys on a poorly surfaced road.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

The southern half of the Rathkeale bypass is being re-surfaced at the moment. Surprising enough considering it'll be used in this upgrade.

The Foynes to Limerick scheme includes an upgrade of the eastern half of the Rathkeale Bypass, whereas the resurfacing is on the western end of the bypass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick74 wrote: »
    The Foynes to Limerick scheme includes an upgrade of the eastern half of the Rathkeale Bypass, whereas the resurfacing is on the western end of the bypass.

Had a look at the route corridor in the meantime and noticed this, didn't get a chance to post in the meantime.

Will be nice coming off the DC onto an upto scratch road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This scheme is going to make such a difference to the village of Adare and it's tourist value. There was 2 buses worth of tourists on the street today at 3pm but they were extremely restricted at what they could do as both directions through the village were jammed with traffic, including several HGVs.

Should be information on this soon as the last update was that the comments on Preferred Route Corridor were closing on January 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

The Route Selection Report for the Foynes to Limerick scheme is up on the website www.foyneslimerick.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

So has the orange route being selected? If so my brothers home is gone as is the family home place. So sad......

So has the orange route being selected? If so my brothers home is gone as is the family home place. So sad......
    Yes, Route 3/Orange has been selected.

Have you been approached about the CPO yet? If not bear in mind that the corridor is 300m wide so not everything it's path will be flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Very true, depending on the detailed design and topograhy of the area the land take may only be 40m wide in places up to 100m max if the is a massive cut or fill. Those figures are rough estimates on minimum or maximum. The route corridor is 300m wide. But of course its a worry.I imagine people will not be contacted until a detailed design is done and through An Board Pleanala.

Yes, Route 3/Orange has been selected.

Have you been approached about the CPO yet? If not bear in mind that the corridor is 300m wide so not everything it's path will be flattened.

They were told last Feb that if the orange route is the choose one their house would be gone, the house below them may stay. My brother said he would prefer for the house to be gone than living right beside the motorway. Such a shame to see a fabulous home destroyed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They were told last Feb that if the orange route is the choose one their house would be gone, the house below them may stay. My brother said he would prefer for the house to be gone than living right beside the motorway. Such a shame to see a fabulous home destroyed.
    Do you mind us asking where the house is exactly?

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Do you mind us asking where the house is exactly?

Between croagh and Rathkeale.

From the R523 turnoff (the old N21 road through Rathkeale, the turnoff is just after Croagh going westbound) to the junction on the Rathkeale BP is all being done online so there will be little/no landtake.

Perhaps the house is in the path of where the tie-in will be from the new road bypassing Croagh to where it'll meet the Rathkeale BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I believe I know where this house is and understand why it'll be gone. And I used to be admiring it when I first saw it built - there was so obviously a lot of pride and joy around it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

More complaining.

In fairness, I think people are allowed to raise concerns if their livehoods/family homes will be affected. This route has the least affect on my family and relations so I am delighted with it but I think I would have a right to be annoyed if it was coming through my land.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Where's the complaining?
    All the article is doing is repeating the facts contained in the report.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=96925&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Tender has gone out today for a Topological Aerial Survey of the route to take place. Would seem to indicate route has been selected
    Tender for this was awarded today. Good to see it progressing.

Hopefully see alignment & junction details in the next 6 months

Two tenders gone out for Ground Investigation today:

First for the 'M518' element, Foynes-Rathkeale: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100800&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Second for the M21 element, Rathkeale-Adare: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100799&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Both close 04 August.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Where did you get M518 from?

Where did you get M518 from?

I say 'M518' (with the quotation marks) in the sense that it shadows the existing R518. We haven't heard yet if this section will be N69 or a national primary route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I say 'M518' (with the quotation marks) in the sense that it shadows the existing R518. We haven't heard yet if this section will be N69 or a national primary route

Surely it'll be N69. I don't think it'll be M anyway probably type 2 dual.

I reckon the N21 section to Rathkeale will be motorway, the AADT would be much higher if not requiring HQDC standard road. Still future proofing is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I agree, with it being TII funded and part of TEN-T, as well as being the future main road from Foynes and Askeaton to Limerick, it will surely be called the N69, and that road will terminate near Rathkeale where it merges with the new N21?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TEN-T does not require motorway despite a number of posts on here - the Larne A8 upgrade was TEN-T funded and is at grade DC with roundabouts.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Surely it'll be N69. I don't think it'll be M anyway probably type 2 dual.

I reckon the N21 section to Rathkeale will be motorway, the AADT would be much higher if not requiring HQDC standard road. Still future proofing is key.

Seeing as there's a national primary route to Waterford & Dun Laoighre port, neither of which are TEN-T core ports, it wouldn't surprise me if the new route was national primary, seeing as the main reason for the existing N69 being a national secondary road is seeing as it's a tourist/coast road; see all the N69 tour signs along the route. It doesn't really lead anywhere, bar Tralee which is already accessed by the N21. Listowel will be easily accessed by using the M21 to Reens Pike then the R523 to Listowel via Athea, Carrigkerry etc.
    L1011 wrote: »
    TEN-T does not require motorway despite a number of posts on here - the Larne A8 upgrade was TEN-T funded and is at grade DC with roundabouts.

It was mentioned here before that the N28 upgrade was motorway standard because it had to be so to meet TEN-T standards. The A8 upgrade is of very poor standard tho, at grade roundabouts, LILOs & median crossings, very surprrising it's upto the task especially for a route with lots of HGVs.

Seeing as there's a national primary route to Waterford & Dun Laoighre port, neither of which are TEN-T core ports, it wouldn't surprise me if the new route was national primary, seeing as the main reason for the existing N69 being a national secondary road is seeing as it's a tourist/coast road; see all the N69 tour signs along the route. It doesn't really lead anywhere, bar Tralee which is already accessed by the N21. Listowel will be easily accessed by using the M21 to Reens Pike then the R523 to Listowel via Athea, Carrigkerry etc.
    The more I think it through the more I think you're right - the new Foynes road will probably be assigned a new national primary number. There are many reasons to do it - retaining N69 Foynes-Limerick as a coast road means you don't have to change signs along there and you still have a coastal route from Limerick to Tralee. I think the next available number is N34 so that gets my vote.
    marno21 wrote:
    It was mentioned here before that the N28 upgrade was motorway standard because it had to be so to meet TEN-T standards. The A8 upgrade is of very poor standard tho, at grade roundabouts, LILOs & median crossings, very surprrising it's upto the task especially for a route with lots of HGVs.
    I prefer our approach - I think we're not scared anymore to build big when it comes to roads. The completion of the bulk of the motorway network in 2010 has maybe raised people's expectations. We've seen what a proper road network looks like and it seems to be agreed that this is the level the rest of the projects should aim for. Pity we haven't made the same conceptual leap for public transport, which still aims low.

The more I think it through the more I think you're right - the new Foynes road will probably be assigned a new national primary number. There are many reasons to do it - retaining N69 Foynes-Limerick as a coast road means you don't have to change signs along there and you still have a coastal route from Limerick to Tralee. I think the next available number is N34 so that gets my vote.

I prefer our approach - I think we're not scared anymore to build big when it comes to roads. The completion of the bulk of the motorway network in 2010 has maybe raised people's expectations. We've seen what a proper road network looks like and it seems to be agreed that this is the level the rest of the projects should aim for. Pity we haven't made the same conceptual leap for public transport, which still aims low.

Yep, N34 sounds likely. Possibly a short stretch of M34 approaching the M21 if TII haven't inherited the NRA gene of building **** underpowered junctions.

I hope we keep at the M roads instead of HQDC nonsense. No point in building motorway grade roads with 100km/h limits (speed traps) and free for alls of tractors, cyclists, pedestrians and animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

The documents outlining the preferred route presume motorway for N21 section and wide single-lane N road from Rathkeale to Foynes. Can't remember which doc but it's on the website somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭pajoguy

pigtown wrote: »
    The documents outlining the preferred route presume motorway for N21 section and wide single-lane N road from Rathkeale to Foynes. Can't remember which doc but it's on the website somewhere

If they go wide single they should really upgrade to dual. Which type not sure.
    The croom bypass is wide single and is like a rat race morning and evening. People bullying cars into hard shoulder and often seen people overtaking cars that are already overtaking cars in hard shoulder. Notbsure what accident history is on this road buts its not a nice road to drive at peak times.

pajoguy wrote: »
    If they go wide single they should really upgrade to dual. Which type not sure.
    The croom bypass is wide single and is like a rat race morning and evening. People bullying cars into hard shoulder and often seen people overtaking cars that are already overtaking cars in hard shoulder. Notbsure what accident history is on this road buts its not a nice road to drive at peak times.
    I presume wide single in this instance is modern day Type 1 Single Carriageway (2x 3.65m lanes, 2x 2.5m hard shoulders), compared with the Croom BP which is 2x 5.0m lanes & 2x 3.0m hard shoulders.

Regardless of the M20 being suspended, the Croom BP dualling should be done earlier simply for safety purposes

• Advertisement

Croom BP which is 2x 5.0m lanes & 2x 3.0m hard shoulders

You sure that's right? 2x 5.0 metres?

Advertisement