Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2DS...ugliest console of all time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Radiosonde wrote: »
    You can play Pullblox without 3D. Nintendo actually have a rule that games developed for the system must be fully playable with 3D switched off.

I think it's a nice feature when used well though.

You can and you can also play Mighty Switch force. However as far as I'm concerned it's integral to the gameplay in both games. They're built around the concept of having 3D switched on to play them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's actually not as bad looking as I thought
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/08/30/nintendo-2ds-unboxing

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's kind of growing on me. The colour design on the black one with the red stripe kind of reminds me of the Wii mini. I guess that's not accidental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can and you can also play Mighty Switch force. However as far as I'm concerned it's integral to the gameplay in both games. They're built around the concept of having 3D switched on to play them properly.

Not integral though :) Mechanically, Mighty Switch Force functions identically with or without the 3D - at very best, it's a neat flourish, not a vital element of the experience but one that adds extra aesthetic oomph. In fact, I'm pretty sure Nintendo have always had a rule that 3D can't be vital (the puzzle rooms in Mario 3D Land push it, though). 3D might add to Mighty Switch Force, but it doesn't define it.

This is my problem with 3D generally - it can removed, and the game / film will still be basically identical. Sure, it can occasionally enhance the images, and something coming at the screen looks ridiculous in 2D (the ending of Amazing Spider-Man is he worst case I've ever seen). But no one - game developer or filmmaker - has convinced me that 3D is 100% integral to the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Not integral though :) Mechanically, Mighty Switch Force functions identically with or without the 3D - at very best, it's a neat flourish, not a vital element of the experience but one that adds extra aesthetic oomph. In fact, I'm pretty sure Nintendo have always had a rule that 3D can't be vital (the puzzle rooms in Mario 3D Land push it, though). 3D might add to Mighty Switch Force, but it doesn't define it.

This is my problem with 3D generally - it can removed, and the game / film will still be basically identical. Sure, it can occasionally enhance the images, and something coming at the screen looks ridiculous in 2D (the ending of Amazing Spider-Man is he worst case I've ever seen). But no one - game developer or filmmaker - has convinced me that 3D is 100% integral to the experience.

Could say the same about colour in a lot of cases (actually, the brown/grey palette of many games makes me think a lot of developers have decided colour is redundant!)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You know what I mean, they're not 100% integral to the gameplay, but the gameplay itself was created around the concept of having 3D on. So for me, it's integral to the creator's vision of how the game should play/look.

Similarly, I don't like playing games in 50hz/RGBless/black and white as it's not what the creators intended.

Have you tried finishing the auto switching final level in Mighty Switch Force with 3D off? Tis a right pain in the arse.

Have you tried playing Pullblox properly with 3D off? I find it turns it into a very messy and far less enjoyable game.

Sounds like there's a couple of 3DS games that I physically can't play then. I can't see the 3D effects so I keep the 3D disabled all the time.

Master of the Universe

Ah, I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from a few eShop games like that, I'd say I keep it off 95% of the time.

Was a novelty when the console first came out, but now I much rather the extra battery power!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 faultytool

Definitely aimed at young kids, and once you look at it from that point of view the design is fine.

Give a parent the sell about 3D effecting the kids eyes, the price, the durability...they'll fly out of the shops come Christmas. It'll even fit in a Christmas sock!

Advertisement