Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2DS...ugliest console of all time?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not a looker but it's better than the PS2 which looks like the unholy union of a radiator and an 80's CD player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wouldn't say the ugliest ever, but it does look pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Dear god, I thought it was a píss take.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

"It plays 3DS games in 2D!", also known as turning off the 3D on the normal 3DS. Seems it has all of the features of the 3DS, but much less portability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You can't hold a door open with a 3DS the same way you can with a 2DS, due to it's superior wedgey styling.

It occurs to me though that you can't play Phantom Hourglass on it, because you'll get stuck on the first island, unable to progress, or you'll snap your 2DS in half trying to touch the 2 screens together... Also, how's it going to spotpass? What happens if you buy something off the eShop and accidentally choose Sleep Mode Download? And are you expected to gouge 2 lines into the upper screen yourself for the authentic 3DS experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It looks like a V-Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I like it.

*edit*
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/7-reasons-the-xbox-one-is-better-than-the-ps4

HAHAHAHA
    >takes TrustedReviews off list of sites to take seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't see the point in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,360 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's designed for young kids that would normally break the hinges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Skerries wrote: »

And for parents concerned about the 3D melting their kids brains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭gambitthefirst

deathrider wrote: »
    It looks like a V-Tech.
    well it is aimed at kids 7 & under, so it makes sense to make it look and feel like something they have already grown up playing on. plus the cheap price will make it a more appealing option for parents with young kids.

But yes it does look pretty damn bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't see the point in it...

Its going to be cheap, thats the point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's Nintendo saying "The 3D was a silly idea, nobody actually uses it" - and then throwing a cheap lump at joe public and coming up with excuses as to why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

GTR63 wrote: »
    Its going to be cheap everywhere except in Ireland, thats the point

Fixed that for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If it was April I'd reckon that was a wind up. Horrible looking and pointless imo.

I've been enjoying Fire Emblem on the 3DS but it's shape gives you numb hands after a while. I was hoping any hardware revision would be a bit more ergonomic. The flip screen is an essential too, how is that bulky yoke portable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

This is not meant to fit in you pocket. But it can be put in the car or carried from the sitting room to the playroom or used in a buggy to keep you quiet while Daddy walks past the makeup stand for the 3rd time trying to get that eastern european lady to stop him and ask if she can ask him a question.

Personally I'd buy one to wear around my neck like Tweaky. Ninty should totally make a doctor Theopolis eShop title that can see the world through the 3D Camera, perform complex pattern recognition routines and dispense advice accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Skerries wrote: »
    Downlinz wrote: »
    And for parents concerned about the 3D melting their kids brains.

Thats the niche market they are aiming, nothing big like some people make out to be lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If its considerably cheaper than a normal 3DS then I would probably get it.

I have no need for the 3D gimmick.

noodler wrote: »
    If its considerably cheaper than a normal 3DS then I would probably get it.

No need for said gimmickry myself either, but I do need something that will fit confortably into my pocket. I don't currently have a 3DS, but I play the hell out of my regular DS as I travel quite a lot. The joy of it is being able to slip it into my pocket at a moment's notice. With soemthing this size, it would really defeat the purpose, in my oppinion. Ilooks about he same size as the rerelease PSOnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

noodler wrote: »

There are two main uses for 3D.
    • The gimmick feature (good example would be most 3D films and many 3DS games)
    • Using it as an integral part of gameplay.

Unfortunately the first use detracts from the whole 3D thing, but the second is great. Have you tried Mighty Switch Force 1&2 or Pullblox? All fantastic games which need 3D to function.

It's not an 'oooh! shiny 3D effects!' gimmick, it's part of the gameplay itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Banjo wrote: »
    It occurs to me though that you can't play Phantom Hourglass on it, because you'll get stuck on the first island, unable to progress, or you'll snap your 2DS in half trying to touch the 2 screens together... Also, how's it going to spotpass? What happens if you buy something off the eShop and accidentally choose Sleep Mode Download? And are you expected to gouge 2 lines into the upper screen yourself for the authentic 3DS experience?

It has a switch to enter sleep mode so I guess that switch will work for Phantom Hourglass too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wasn't the 2d version of the 3ds the DS? That handheld console that they originally revised to be smaller, then shortly afterwords they reluanched a bigger version. No surprise they went from 3d to 2d.

Wasn't the 2d version of the 3ds the DS? That handheld console that they originally revised to be smaller, then shortly afterwords they reluanched a bigger version. No surprise they went from 3d to 2d.

Not exactly, since you can't play 3DS games on the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I don't get the big deal about the appearance, looks alright to me. I don't think it would be nice to hold though, crappy ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No.

The DS predates the 3DS by 6.5 years.

You have internet. This means you have Wikipedia.
    Use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

o1s1n wrote: »
    Unfortunately the first use detracts from the whole 3D thing, but the second is great. Have you tried Mighty Switch Force 1&2 or Pullblox? All fantastic games which need 3D to function.

You can play Pullblox without 3D. Nintendo actually have a rule that games developed for the system must be fully playable with 3D switched off.

I think it's a nice feature when used well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No.

The DS predates the 3DS by 6.5 years.

You have internet. This means you have Wikipedia.
    Use it.

That was the point of my post. The rest of it there... Read it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think it's genius. It's robust, sturdy and solid - perfect for the toddler to pre-teen market it's aimed at. There's no 3D because it's not recommended for children under 10 and there are no hinges because they're usually the first thing kids break on them.

The 2DS isn't for us, we've already got the 3DS and 3DSXL. It's for parents who are looking for a first console for their kids and it'll sell millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think it's genius. It's robust, sturdy and solid - perfect for the toddler to pre-teen market it's aimed at. There's no 3D because it's not recommended for children under 10 and there are no hinges because they're usually the first thing kids break on them.

The 2DS isn't for us, we've already got the 3DS and 3DSXL. It's for parents who are looking for a first console for their kids and it'll sell millions.

I don't get that people don't see it more or less targeted at kids to put in the school bag and sad to say families on tight budgets.

Advertisement