Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Kyle Fuller is now his top ranked CB too.

That's his only noticable changes since last time.

Hope he's right, my 66/1, would be a nice winner. (16/1 still available and Gilbert 4/9 so still looking unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I reckon he knows something we don't know, I can't imagine he'd allow himself to be swayed solely on his pro day.
    Paully D wrote: »
    I agree, I'd always look out for Mayock's stuff first.

I can see why he'd have Manziel above Bridgewater, though I personally wouldn't myself, but how he can have Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo above Bridgewater is beyond me. I think he's put a bit too much stock in the pro-days and allowed himself to start doubting what he had initially seen on tape because of it.

Brigewater does almost everything needed from a NFL QB better than the others on tape. He's also on another level in terms of the stuff that can't really be taught. Reading blitzes, manipulating defenses etc. Easy choice for me to have Bridgewater #1 QB.

What are all your top 5 rankings on the QB's lads? I go:

1) Bridgewater

---Big Drop

2) Carr
    3) Manziel
    4) Bortles
    5) Mettenburg

They're the main guys for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kiper reporting that after speaking to several teams, Lewan is ranked better than Matthews and he expects him to be a top six pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9398/taylor-lewan
    After talking to "several NFL clubs," ESPN's Mel Kiper stated Monday that he expects Michigan OT Taylor Lewan to be a top-six pick in May's draft.
    Think what you want about Kiper as a "talent evaluator;" he's one of the most accurate mock drafters in media, posting a top-five cumulative mock score on The Huddle Report over the past five years. Kiper believes Greg Robinson is the No. 1 tackle on most teams' boards, Lewan is No. 2, and Jake Matthews is No. 3. "If he doesn’t go (No. 2 to St. Louis)," Kiper said of Lewan, "he could go to Oakland at five, definitely to Atlanta at six. I don’t think he gets past six."

I was hoping he might drop to the Ravens with Matthews and Robinson going before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Judging by his Mayocks history with QB's having Manziel first is a pretty bad omen for Johnny's career.

Cracking article on how to create a respectable NFL mock draft. It's a bit too long to copy and paste but here's the link, contributions from McShay, Kiper etc. Well worth a read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140428/nfl-mock-draft-how-to/

On another note, the above article makes reference to keeping a mock draft ranking. The top five from that ranking are below:

95ac202f382d815ab8a08bc4fe616c04.png

An interesting point is that the most accurate draft gurus can "only" match around 10 or 11 picks to the correct team, but get around 27 of the first round guys correct. Just proves how difficult it is for those outside teams to know what is going to happen on draft day.

Boris doesn't release his mock draft until the day of the draft.
    McGinn doesn't release his mock until during draft week.
    Standig's mock is available here
    Kadar's mock is available here
    Kiper's mock is available here (ESPN Insider access needed to view full mock)

And a cracking read from the aforementioned McGinn on the scouting buzz around Peyton Manning prior to the 1998 draft:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/peyton-manning-defied-some-predictions-b99190928z1-241988471.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree, I'd always look out for Mayock's stuff first.

I can see why he'd have Manziel above Bridgewater, though I personally wouldn't myself, but how he can have Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo above Bridgewater is beyond me. I think he's put a bit too much stock in the pro-days and allowed himself to start doubting what he had initially seen on tape because of it.

Brigewater does almost everything needed from a NFL QB better than the others on tape. He's also on another level in terms of the stuff that can't really be taught. Reading blitzes, manipulating defenses etc. Easy choice for me to have Bridgewater #1 QB.

What are all your top 5 rankings on the QB's lads? I go:

1) Bridgewater

---Big Drop

2) Carr
    3) Manziel
    4) Bortles
    5) Mettenburg

They're the main guys for me.

I'd take Manziel off the list personally. Agree with Bridgewater 1 and the big drop off. I'd probably add Fales to the list at 5.

Good Christ, another 10 days of this shit:

1c50b6f6f90062e907b1465293f4f876.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Can we just hibernate for ten days or collectively build a time machine. What you get from that Clowney/Manziel match-up is that Johnny will be milled if he extends plays with his feet a little bit too much in the Pros. He played hurt towards the end of his college career and that's a shorter schedule. I'd have serious durability concerns drafting Johnny for a 16+ game season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm waiting for articles like

Why Bridgewater will be a success in the NFL............. as a WideReceiver

Why McCarron will be better than Brady

Tom Savage as the No.1 overall pick, not as crazy as it sounds

Bill Belichek is actually not part of the Dark Side (probably the hardest one to believe ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

only 8 days left i should be more excited than i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nerd69 wrote: »
    only 8 days left i should be more excited than i am

They dragged the arse out of it this year, bit of draft fatigue setting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyone else book the Friday May 9th off work due to staying up for the draft :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nope, I'll be hungover and half asleep on my bosses time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Am I right in saying NFL network's coverage of the Draft was free last year on Gamepass?

Pre draft conferences can be lies and smokescreens

Ozzie Newsome Baltimore GM looking to draft a late round QB as current backup Tyrod Taylor is in the last year of his deal

I doubt they draft a QB before the 5th round but it probably will happen

Just need to find a gem is all

I can't wait for it now, I'm really looking forward to it.

The only thing I dislike about draft night is having to stay off social media during it as there's always a few media guys who have to try and show off by telling people the pick a few seconds before it happens, even though there was an agreement in the media I think. NFL Network ruined the #1 pick announcement last year FFS :pac:

Hopefully there'll be a gentleman's agreement between us on here not to spoil the picks either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The only thing I dislike about draft night is having to stay off social media during it as there's always a few media guys who have to try and show off by telling people the pick a few seconds before it happens, even though there was an agreement in the media I think. NFL Network ruined the #1 pick announcement last year FFS :pac:

Hopefully there'll be a gentleman's agreement between us on here not to spoil the picks either. :)

Was it last year or the year before that Mike Mayock was there with his crystal ball and explanation prior to every pick (when he's clearly been told who is being picked in his ear)? That was really really annoying.

Agree with that, no point spoiling it. Mayock threw out a few of the picks a minute or two before they were announced which was annoying

Was it last year or the year before that Mike Mayock was there with his crystal ball and explanation prior to every pick (when he's clearly been told who is being picked in his ear)? That was really really annoying.

Snap, it was last year

Rich Eisen on NFL Network pushed hard to stop showing the drafted players on their mobile phones before the pick was announced.

And he succeeded

I don't remember Mayock with spoilers but I'd say that wont happen again

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Pre draft conferences can be lies and smokescreens

Ozzie Newsome Baltimore GM looking to draft a late round QB as current backup Tyrod Taylor is in the last year of his deal

I doubt they draft a QB before the 5th round but it probably will happen

Just need to find a gem is all

He said we were trying to move up last year as well as a player he liked kept on dropping. Any ideas who? I was looking through the players that seemed to fall a bit last year but can't put my finger on it. I was thinking maybe Eric Reid before the 49ers got in there but I don't think he fell at all at #18 really.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Agree with that, no point spoiling it. Mayock threw out a few of the picks a minute or two before they were announced which was annoying

Yep, he was doing my head in. I was delighted and very smug when he got the Dolphins pick trading up to #3 to take Jordan and not Johnson as Mayock thought though :pac:

He'll probably be at it this year too. The NFL, NFL Network and ESPN came to an agreement that they would not spoil the picks visually (eg, showing a draft pick on the phone) but have not stopped on-air people making "predictions."
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rich Eisen on NFL Network pushed hard to stop showing the drafted players on their mobile phones before the pick was announced.

And he succeeded

I don't remember Mayock with spoilers but I'd say that wont happen again

They did inadvertently spoil the first pick though. They had Fisher on camera and his phone lit up :pac: Not really their fault though so I'll let them away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

infacteh wrote: »
    Am I right in saying NFL network's coverage of the Draft was free last year on Gamepass?

Yeah, it was. Hoping they do the same again this year rather than searching through dodgy streams.
    Will probably advertised on their site in the coming days, if they are giving out free gamepass again.

They may as well make it free since their Week 1 to Week 17 game pass package spluttered, froze and crashed every week!! :mad:

They did inadvertently spoil the first pick though. They had Fisher on camera and his phone lit up :pac: Not really their fault though so I'll let them away with that.

The 1st pick doesn't bother me as usually it is known the day before the draft (Clowney to Texans is a lock IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

il be watching nfl network anyway i love that they petitioned to keep the draft picks a surprise it made last years draft a lot better and it should be better again this year late first to early 4th should be very very hard to call this year.

also rich eisen is possibly my favorite sports presenter so theres that.

Sammy Watkins' tweets over the last couple of days:

0e7192f801a1e919a59d5aeb703d81a9.png

2acd1b96ab5b0e1b7264a8f732a7040c.png

06115f8e4ce0d8118517d4fed1d29c50.png

You'd imagine the Cali visit would be for the Raiders at #5, but considering the 49ers have a mountain of draft picks in the near future and Watkins is talking about a team trading up for him outside the top 10, maybe? You'd also expect the Raiders to have met with him sooner than a week before the draft too considering they pick so early.

There's been plenty of talk about the 49ers wanting to move right up in this draft and they're searching for a WR too.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't think the 49ers would trade up that far, but there are rumours they have an arrangement with Baltimore to move up for OBJ if he is still there when Baltimore pick.

Not convinced on that but a lot more believable than moving up to number 5.

comes from the same source that was talking up SF taking Eric Reid last year.

The Falcons gave up 2 firsts, a second and 2 fourths to move from 27 to 6 for Julio Jones.

If the niners want to move from 30 to the top 5 they will have to pay dearly

I could definitely see the Ravens trading from 17 down to 30 as per Adrian's post ^^^

Pick up Morgan Moses, offensive tackle :)

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The 1st pick doesn't bother me as usually it is known the day before the draft (Clowney to Texans is a lock IMO)

Yeah, that's true. I was a bit disappointed last year as I didn't know whether it would be Fisher or Joeckel for sure though.

Clowney's gone down to 8/11 to be #1 now. He was 6/4 a few weeks ago. I think I recall a couple of posters saying they got on him at 6/4 so if you're one of them best of luck with it mate :)

I agree I think he's going to go #1 now too. I'd still take Bridgewater over him if I were Houston though. Clowney's a beast, going to be a great player in the NFL, but they had the player who should have been defensive player of the year and was head and shoulders above anyone on the defensive side of the ball last year in JJ Watt and they finished with 2 wins. They need a QB and Teddy's the best of the bunch by a distance.

I could end up looking very foolish in a couple of seasons time with my championing of Bridgewater, but whoever gets him will reap the rewards in the near future if not straight away IMO.

Advertisement