Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest ending to a videogame/character?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Nathan Hale of Resistance, couldn't believe what happened at the end of R2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Dom in GOW3

only character in that whole series i even slightly cared about.

And i remember Mona Sax leaving me a bit upset too, now that i think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

C14N wrote: »
    Also, in Shadown of the Colossus, the
    death of Argo
    was my saddest video game moment of all time

It was really sad,
    but if you finished the game it turned out he/she was fine, just a wee limp for the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The Boss - MGS3 and that whole ending in general would break your heart.
    Leo - FF6, senseless death for the one good man in the Empire. Damn you Kefka
    Tassadar - Starcraft, what a way to go but damn it was sad to see such a badass meet his end.
    Trish -inFamous, no matter what you can never save her. Poor Cole.
    FFXIII-2s ending is very grim.
    System Shock 2 - "Don't you like my new look?" *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It was really sad,
    but if you finished the game it turned out he/she was fine, just a wee limp for the trouble.

I know, but at the time it was devastating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

LA Noire was a bit depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I know, but at the time it was devastating.

True, I hardly sympathised with the main character at all but I cared loads about the horse.

Felt really bad for many of the early Colossi aswell since they hardly fought back and you had to pretty much bully them to death, especially the second or third one with the sad look in it's eyes that seemed more like it was attempting to befriend your horse than fight you (sure most of them after that clearly wanted you dead but by that point it was perfectly reasonable).

Depressing game in general really.

For an addition to the list I'd have to pick
    baby metroid in Super Metroid, little screentime, no dialogue, not remotely humanoid and I sure as hell cared more when it died than for most characters we're supposed to give a damn about in plot-heavy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I completely forgot
    Paul Denton
    from Deus Ex, my cowardice weighed very heavily on me. I eventually had to junk my progress and go back to that moment in the apartment, and this time leave by the door rather than scurry out the window.

Also,
    Anna Navarre
    - she deserved better than the killswitch phrase. Or the cheap sniper-rifle-plus-air-ducts death from my alternate timeline.

That game really valued it's NPCs and made you do the same. Such a shame the sequel was pants. Must get around to playing #3...

True, I hardly sympathised with the main character at all but I cared loads about the horse.

Felt really bad for many of the early Colossi aswell since they hardly fought back and you had to pretty much bully them to death, especially the second or third one with the sad look in it's eyes that seemed more like it was attempting to befriend your horse than fight you (sure most of them after that clearly wanted you dead but by that point it was perfectly reasonable).

Depressing game in general really.

For an addition to the list I'd have to pick
    baby metroid in Super Metroid, little screentime, no dialogue, not remotely humanoid and I sure as hell cared more when it died than for most characters we're supposed to give a damn about in plot-heavy games.

I kind of felt like that was the point of the game, and it worked well. The main character was selfish and willing to do terrible things because he couldn't deal with the death of the girl, Agro was just there because of her loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Silent Hill 2 for me...
    Finding out your dead and stuck in limbo is still one of the best twists I've ever witnessed in any game. That game truly messes with your perception and understanding of the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also regarding the Last of Us I would say
    the intro was the saddest part really. Although there's plenty of tear jerkers in the game, the acting and finality of his daughters death is superb, had a lump in my throat and wasn't sure how the game would be approached afterwards. Great bit of story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Banjo wrote: »
    I completely forgot
    Paul Denton
    from Deus Ex, my cowardice weighed very heavily on me. I eventually had to junk my progress and go back to that moment in the apartment, and this time leave by the door rather than scurry out the window.

Also,
    Anna Navarre
    - she deserved better than the killswitch phrase. Or the cheap sniper-rifle-plus-air-ducts death from my alternate timeline.

That game really valued it's NPCs and made you do the same. Such a shame the sequel was pants. Must get around to playing #3...

3 is not much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Schwiiing wrote: »
    3 is not much better.

Human Revolution is fantastic, bar the boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The dog in Call of Duty: Ghosts.

You know it's going to bite the bullet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The dog in Call of Duty: Ghosts.

You know it's going to bite the bullet.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kiith wrote: »
    Human Revolution is fantastic, bar the boss fights.

And the "flick a switch" ending :( Still really enjoyed it however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

.ak wrote: »
    Silent Hill 2 for me...
    Finding out your dead and stuck in limbo is still one of the best twists I've ever witnessed in any game. That game truly messes with your perception and understanding of the mind.

Eh? But that never happens and it's not what the game is about at all.
    The game was a journey through James guilty conscience. He's constantly torturing himself over killing his wife. He thought he was doing the right thing by euthanising her until he got that letter from her and he started to beat himself up about it because he realised the real reasons he had were selfish. He was sick of looking after her, she had become a burden on her life and he had not sexual attraction to her anymore. It's all about him trying to come to terms with that and depending on the ending you get he comes to terms with it in his own way. The ending you got wasn't him stuck in Limbo it was probably the ending where James continues with his guilt trip unable to let go. In others James moves on while in the one I got James committed suicide as he thought it was the only way to deal with it. Hard to commit suicide when you are already dead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Zack in crisis core

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zack in crisis core

Thought they ruined that. They took a cutscene in the original FFVII that was quite simple but heartfelt and turned it into an over the top ridiculous mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

MGS - Sniper Wolf

The battle was pretty Epic, a test of two master snipers, one of them had give..

I'll always remember this being quite sad even as a teenager rushin to get to the end of this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

platinums wrote: »
    MGS - Sniper Wolf

The battle was pretty Epic, a test of two master snipers, one of them had give..

I'll always remember this being quite sad even as a teenager rushin to get to the end of this game.

Yeah that scene and her as a character were pretty class

One I had actually forgotten about was in Bioshock Infinite when
    Elizabeth kills the Songbird. I know he was supposed to be an enemy but I felt really sorry for him, he was really just a slave. I felt bad about killing Big Daddies in the previous Bioshock for the same reason but the fact that the Songbird was a recurring character as well as the fact that he was trying to protect Elizabeth too and since he had just helped with the final battle made it sadder in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

One I had actually forgotten about was in Bioshock Infinite when
    Elizabeth kills the Songbird. I know he was supposed to be an enemy but I felt really sorry for him, he was really just a slave. I felt bad about killing Big Daddies in the previous Bioshock for the same reason but the fact that the Songbird was a recurring character as well as the fact that he was trying to protect Elizabeth too and since he had just helped with the final battle made it sadder in my opinion

I thought he/it was an absolutely useless character. Never felt any emotion towards him one way or the other, and was never scared either.
    Same for the Handyman,

On the other hand, the big daddys were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sniper Wolf in MGS came to my mind too.

I'd also say
    the death of Gray Fox
    from the same game.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I thought he/it was an absolutely useless character. Never felt any emotion towards him one way or the other, and was never scared either.
    Same for the Handyman,

On the other hand, the big daddys were brilliant.

I wasn't scared of him either,
    mainly because you never actually have to fight him. I did feel kind of sorry for the Handmen, not like the Big Daddies but that's probably because they were way more infuriating than the BDs. It still felt a little messed up though after you see the first one at the fair and hear the recording from the wife of another one after the Vox Populi take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

MGS 2 just after EE dies. This scene gets me every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeUhmtIUg7Y

Otacon crying has to be some of the worst voice acting in videogame history.

Advertisement