Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest ending to a videogame/character?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Reading the thread in After hours about the saddest ending to a flm/series I thought that videogames were just as emotional and a lot of the characters were just as developed. So whats your saddest ending to a videogame/character?

Mine would have to be FF9 and Vivi... he was definitely my favourite character in the seres and then for him to end just as every one else seemed to have their own stories resolved just made it worse...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The Walking Dead......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Red Dead Redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ariel in FF7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Silent Hill 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Silent hill 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

MOC88 wrote: »
    Reading the thread in After hours about the saddest ending to a flm/series I thought that videogames were just as emotional and a lot of the characters were just as developed. So whats your saddest ending to a videogame/character?

Mine would have to be FF9 and Vivi... he was definitely my favourite character in the seres and then for him to end just as every one else seemed to have their own stories resolved just made it worse...

What? I though Vivi got closure, he comes to terms with his mortality and learns to live for his friends etc.

Soap in MW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Ezio in that short film after AC Revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Dizzy.
    There was one jump about 25 minutes in to Fantasy World Dizzy up in the clouds that I kept missing and he'd just fall and fall and fall... it was like the end of Angel Heart mixed with Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Time would slow down, if you squinted the smile on his face would falter a little as he twirled...
    Technically that wasn't his end, but I only made that jump once so as far as I was concerned that was the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

enda1 wrote: »
    Ariel in FF7
    Who?

Zulf from bastion. Betrayed by his own followers and left for dead. Makes your decision that bit tougher. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The Last of Us was probably the most depressing ending I've ever played imo.

Also, in Shadown of the Colossus, the
    death of Argo
    was my saddest video game moment of all time, even more so than the ending of the Walking Dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This thread needs spoilers.
    Mordin Solus
    - Mass Effect 3
    Shepard
    - Mass Effect 3 *destroy the reapers ending

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Walking Dead for Sadness.

Silent Hill 2 for devastation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

To The Moon, really squeezes at the heart :(
    BioShock Infinite, will say no more.

Btw think they mean Aerith, not Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Aeris/Aerith Gainsborough in FFVII and Zack Fair in Crisis Core

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Walking Dead
    As much as the ending is incredibly sad, the bit that really tugged on my heartstrings was when you were rubbing the zombie guts on Clem after killing The Stranger. Her wincing and trying not to cry... the feels.... THE FEELS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Who?

Zulf from bastion. Betrayed by his own followers and left for dead. Makes your decision that bit tougher. :(
    SimmerDean wrote: »
    Aeris/Aerith Gainsborough in FFVII and Zack Fair in Crisis Core

Damn it, that's who I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Penn wrote: »
    The Walking Dead
    As much as the ending is incredibly sad, the bit that really tugged on my heartstrings was when you were rubbing the zombie guts on Clem after killing The Stranger. Her wincing and trying not to cry... the feels.... THE FEELS!

Leeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mordin - Mass Effect 3
    Joe - Mafia 2
    The Walking Dead
    Bioshock 1 - good ending

Shocking and emotional ....but probably not sad, I'd definitely say

Spec Ops : The Line
    Arkham City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Limbo's ending is messed up.
    The whole game didn't inspire rainbows and unicorns tbh, and I really wound up sympathising for the poor spider.

I second Silent Hill 2, heavy stuff.

It's all just trotting after other media in terms of the willingness of the creators to sucker punch the audience/participant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Spec ops the line - The whole game makes you sadder and emotionally broken. In the end its even worse.

Heavenly Sword - game never got popular and was slated for being God of war clone, but I really loved it. Was a very sad ending. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Surprised nobody mentioned this before now.

Half Life 2, Episode 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 duffyman

I am surprised only one person has mentioned the tragic death of Zack Fair from FF VII crisis core. Without doubt the saddest and most prolific death I have ever seen. I have watched that clip about 50 times and it still hurts to watch it. I will always remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

MGS3- The Boss
    The Walking Dead
    Lee
    MW3-Sandman and Soap..especially how Price left the pistol that Soap had kept and given back to him years before.

The entire of Walking Dead. One of the most heart breaking games I've played in a long time. As I've said before, what I loved most is that at the end of each chapter, it gives you a breakdown of percentages of people that made the same decisions as you did - it always made me feel good that I wasn't the only evil-hearted bastard out there!

Gears of War 3 -
    Dom's death. It was such a tragic turn of events, especially since you get to see his hope in GoW1, his heartbreak in GoW2 after discovering Maria, and then pretty much his downfall into depression in GoW3. His death, with the piano version of Mad World, was extremely sombre

Bioshock Infinite -
    When you discover who Elizabeth really is and what Booker DeWitt did to her as a baby. So so heartbreaking

Mass Effect 3 -
    Alas Mordin died at the end of ME2 for me, so I didn't have the moment that others had in ME3 with his death, but just so many moments in that game were extremely touching - the Asari recounting her story at the hospital, entire civilizations being wiped out, soldiers listening to the radio broadcasts telling the death count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

What? I though Vivi got closure, he comes to terms with his mortality and learns to live for his friends etc.

Soap in MW3.

Yeah but he got closure but what about mine??? Himself and Eiko were meant to get together way down the line. The fact he's saying farewell makes me like him more and makes it worse!!!

Surprised nobody mentioned this before now.

Half Life 2, Episode 2.
    +1

Buzz Kill it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

enda1 wrote: »
    Damn it, that's who I meant.
    I know, jst screwin with ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Mario Bros -
    When his princess was in another castle... That tearjerker

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Big Boss saluting the Boss's grave in MGS3.

Being such a huge fan and knowing the background of big boss and snake; For them to go back and show why he turned rogue against governments, was outstanding, For me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Soap in MW3 was a hard one to take. The End of FFX always gets me right in the old tearducts. The start of TLOU
    when Joel's daughter gets killed
    is heartbreaking too.

Spec Ops: The Line was depressing enough alright.

TWD final scene; in our house reduced 3 men in their twenties to the verge of tears.

Advertisement