Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new full suspension under €2K

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I'm not going to post a lot of usual questions. And apart the obvious MTB, what are you looking for in a bike? Can you give some background and usage profile for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Right we for starters, why do you think you need 160mm of travel, this is Ireland not the Alps!
    ;) I love my 160mm/180mm travel bike for Ballyhoura! I spent two years on a hardtail, then a year on a 130mm/150mm Reign until that was nicked, and the ReignX I have now I use everywhere from Mont Pleny Black runs in the Alps through to riverbank cycling here in Limerick. I find that there is nothing that it isn't suitable for except for racing, and I don't race so that's not much of an issue for me. I'd say that if the OP finds a design that works for them, at a price they like, then they should not rule out the newer enduro designs as they are closest to "jack of all trades/master of some" amongst the current bike designs.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Vitus has a better fork, and the suspension design looks like a Trek design with its 4 bar linkage.. Though i would say you'll wear through those pivot bearings every month!
    That Vitus frame is a single-pivot design - not a four-bar link. The rear axle is on the strut that is connected to the frame, so will ever only move in a semi-circle around the front bottom pivot. To be a true four bar link, the axle would have to have a pivot between itself and the pivots on the frame on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Popoutman wrote: »
    That Vitus frame is a single-pivot design - not a four-bar link. The rear axle is on the strut that is connected to the frame, so will ever only move in a semi-circle around the front bottom pivot. To be a true four bar link, the axle would have to have a pivot between itself and the pivots on the frame on each side.
    Leaving aside your poor understanding of what a four-bar link is, the Sommet is not a (linkage-actuated) single-pivot frame. The frame member the wheel is mounted to is not directly attached to the front triangle. Even if it were a single-pivot design, it would not have enough travel to allow the wheel to move through a semi-circle. A 'true' four bar link must have four bodies joined in a closed loop - that is all.

Additionally, it doesn't look or function anything like any design Trek currently markets.

Ended up getting the Canyon Nerve Al+ 7...outstanding bike! Cruises over and through anything.

Advertisement