Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you shouldn't joke about?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I dunno - your attitude seems unsympathetic to me that I could imagine a scenario where a friend just didn't say something especially for fear of being told to do one.

I'm sorry if I seem brash, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I certainly wouldn't tell a rape victim to do one. And just because I say rape, doesn't mean I condone it or I'd treat victims any worse than anyone. I am a good friend when people confide in me, I'd like to think.
    Esoteric_ wrote: »
    But people will always defend their right to make rape jokes. This argument has been going on for god only knows how long.

You cannot give out to people for saying rape, and then casually use another word like torture and say it's justified because it happens to less people. There's no logic to that.

btw I'd like to make a point, I don't make rape jokes, I just use the word rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

My Rape Joke. Patricia Lockwood.

'The rape joke it wore a goatee. A goatee.

Imagine the rape joke looking in the mirror, perfectly reflecting back itself, and grooming itself to look more like a rape joke. “Ahhhh,” it thinks. “Yes. A goatee.”'

http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/rape-joke-patricia-lockwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I seem brash, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I certainly wouldn't tell a rape victim to do one. And just because I say rape, doesn't mean I condone it or I'd treat victims any worse than anyone. I am a good friend when people confide in me, I'd like to think.

That's the point that some people are trying to make - you could very well be telling a rape victim to 'do one.' My friends sure as hell don't know about what happened to me, and they never will, because I won't tell them. It's an extremely difficult topic to talk about, and the shame and self blame that goes hand in hand with it often prevents people from talking about it. I have the most kind, supportive, trustworthy friends I could ask for, and I'd still never even dream of telling them. You simply do not know who you are speaking to if you make rape jokes (or in your case, use the word rape in other contexts).

You cannot give out to people for saying rape, and then casually use another word like torture and say it's justified because it happens to less people. There's no logic to that.

I haven't used the word torture, just to point out.

I haven't said one is okay, either. I'm pointing out that, on a forum site like boards, rape jokes will tend to offend quite a large number of people, whereas words like 'torture,' not so much. As I said in an earlier post, it's all about having a bit of cop on when it comes to your 'audience.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

IvySlayer wrote: »

btw I'd like to make a point, I don't make rape jokes, I just use the word rape.

Jaw-dropping empathy there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 THT

Maybe read my post properly? I never said 'rape jokes aren't funny.'

I said I do not, have not and more than likely will not find them funny.

Ok fine, but to me a the quality of a joke is more about it's structure rather than the superficial content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I wouldn't say there's anything that should't be joked about, just depends on the scenario. Especially if there were unknowns in the crowd.
    What I always find amusing is the celebrity death jokes-they're barely gone cold yet the place is running with jokes about them. You can be sure there are some who are repulsed at the inhumanity of this carry-on. I find them funny.
    So both sides to the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

its 8.45 on a Monday morning

get thee to an AA meeting

monday eve in NZ though, perfect way to finish off a monday :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Humour is subtly and is influenced by context, timing, audience etc etc........ or in other words i would so No there is nothing you shouldn't joke about but there are times, people, places and circumstances you shouldn't crack certain jokes about or to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I was on a supermarket queue while a radio ad came on over the speakers. It was from a nearby pet shelter seeking homes for "fifty cats with special needs." I burst out laughing. I didn't make the joke but my laughter was offensive, or misunderstood. Not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

In my last job someone asked the difference between medium and large. I said one was bigger than the other in a jokey laughy voice and then showed her the cups. She asked someone on the floor who the manager was to complain me. I was the manager that day.

Another time there was a water mark on the inside of the cup, no big deal. A customer starts pawing at it and asked for a new one. I joked and did the laughy voice while handing her a new cup that her cups would be dirtier at home. She was the only one at the till and was a 'regular'.

I told a girl I would smash a glass in her face if she didn't go faster making drinks. She told her mother. This was her first few days so my humour hadn't sank into her yet.

There was a group of us wanting to go play on a playground on the way to the beach, kids were playing on the swings. I told one girl to go say to the mother that she must inform her she is a sexual predator.

Some people need to just get over themselves and have themselves a good finger bang in the car park.

For more serious jokes, rape and illness it is best to do it in the company of others who appreciate it or join reddit

• Advertisement

lkionm wrote: »
    I told a girl I would smash a glass in her face if she didn't go faster making drinks. She told her mother. This was her first few days so my humour hadn't sank into her yet.

I see nothing humorous about that, especially if you are a manager and she is starting out.

You could be sacked for saying something like that. No doubt your defence would be "it was just a joke".

In my last job someone asked the difference between medium and large. I said one was bigger than the other in a jokey laughy voice and then showed her the cups. She asked someone on the floor who the manager was to complain me. I was the manager that day.

Another time there was a water mark on the inside of the cup, no big deal. A customer starts pawing at it and asked for a new one. I joked and did the laughy voice while handing her a new cup that her cups would be dirtier at home. She was the only one at the till and was a 'regular'.

There was a group of us wanting to go play on a playground on the way to the beach, kids were playing on the swings. I told one girl to go say to the mother that she must inform her she is a sexual predator.

Some people need to just get over themselves and have themselves a good finger bang in the car park.

For more serious jokes, rape and illness it is best to do it in the company of others who appreciate it or join reddit

your laughy voice sounds a bit rapey.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I see nothing humorous about that, especially if you are a manager and she is starting out.

You could be sacked for saying something like that. No doubt your defence would be "it was just a joke".

Supervisor, coffee shop, we were the same age and had joked previously.

At that stage I had been there so long I was becoming bitter about the place and training people. She didn't tell me until months later that she didn't realise it was a joke, I didn't even remember saying it it was so off the cuff. I would have ended up stabbing a customer or smashing my managers face down on the grill if I didn't leave. Retail workers will understand the hatred and resentment you can harbour towards other people.

Was pretty busy and hectic behind the counter so I hated people moving slow. It was like slow motion.

Check ou the cries of retail in ranting and raving forum to understand

Muise... wrote: »
    your laughy voice sounds a bit rapey.
    It's that fake customer voice and when a customer makes a stupid joke.

Top tip; a retail worker either is eye raping you or has thought of 27 different ways to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

It's that fake customer voice and when a customer makes a stupid joke.

Top tip; a retail worker either is eye raping you or has thought of 27 different ways to kill you.

That's just you.
    You're falling into the everyone thinks the same as me trap.

kiffer wrote: »
    That's just you.
    You're falling into the everyone thinks the same as me trap.

RETAIL WORKERS ASSEMBLE.

Wait until their 15 minute break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

danniemcq wrote: »
    Threads merged.

On a side note lets try not and fill this with offensive jokes. There are other forums much better suited.

just so I'm not missing out, can you point me to the offensive forums so I can have a laugh, thanks.

RETAIL WORKERS ASSEMBLE.

Wait until their 15 minute break.

if you were making drinks for customers you were working in the service industry, not retail, garcon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

you shouldn't joke about is islam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Pang wrote: »
    Child abuse. Joking about that can never be justified.

It can if it's funny.
    The only requirement for a joke on any subject is that it be funny and seeing as humour is subective, it means pretty much anything and everything is on the table.
    If you start saying one thing is off limits then it's only a matter of time before everything is off limits because something is going to offend some busy body somewhere, no matter what it's about and then all we'll have for comedy is Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre.

As long as the main aim of a joke is to be funny and not to hurt someone, I fail to see the problem. If you dont like it, dont laugh but neither should you climb up into your ivory tower and start preaching morality to everyone when all they're trying to do is raise a giggle.
    At my last stand up gig I opened with a joke that could be deemed offensive in certain situations but in a comedy tent where it's accepted that what we say here is for fun and bears no relation to our views out there in the real world, it went down quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Thread is full of people that need to get over themselves. If you're offended by something, that's your problem, not anyone else's.

I've often been offended by a joke in college or something but I don't go up in arms about it! I just don't laugh and I carry on. People shouldn't have to watch what they say just because someone somewhere might get offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it can if it satirises poor sentencing for abusers and public hysteria etc...

Thread is full of people that need to get over themselves. If you're offended by something, that's your problem, not anyone else's.

Thats simply not true.

If it were true then there wouldnt be Racial Hatred laws throughout the world.

You disagree with this? Then thats your problem, not anybody elses.

it can if it satirises poor sentencing for abusers and public hysteria etc...

yep, I lolled at this before lolling was a thing:

Muise... wrote: »
    if you were making drinks for customers you were working in the service industry, not retail, garcon. :)

Extremely similiar environments though.

Dealing with retarded customers thinking they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brass Eye did an entire episode about it and it was fcuking hilarious.

krudler wrote: »
    Brass Eye did an entire episode about it and it was fcuking hilarious.

:mad:
    that was MY inappropriately fcuking hilarious link!
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Dead baby jokes aren't off kilter because they are controversial.

They should be off because every single one of them are ****e. Not even controversially "ohoho ****, that's bad" funny, just, actually, ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Considering one in four people will be raped/sexually assaulted in their lifetime, and I'd imagine the stats are a hell of a lot smaller for torture victims, there's a much bigger likelihood of a rape victim seeing rape jokes than a torture victim seeing torture jokes (if jokes is what they are, they could just be using the word torture for all I know).

But people will always defend their right to make rape jokes. This argument has been going on for god only knows how long.
    Nice try. If you have to work that hard to justify using a word, the word isn't worth using. Like I said from the very beginning. ..a murder victim isnt around to decide whether your joke is funny or not, a rape victim very well could be. If a torture victim was sitting in front of me and I used they word, causing them to take offense. ..I wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell them to do one. I would apologise and chose my words more carefully next time.

I'm sorry but this setting up of a hierarchy of offensiveness about words that relate to serious crimes against the person is just Bullsh*t.
    For example, yes the murder victim themselves is no longer around to be offended but you can bet that crime impacts a much wider circle of people severely than the crime of rape (not getting into an argument about which is worse just that one is more of a hidden crime).

The whole idea of it smacks of the idea "privilege", nobody has the right to say what is or isn't offensive to another person, but this isn't what happens instead the some of the same people who mock old dears for getting offended by things will jump on a high horse when they get offended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

lahalane wrote: »

So basically, is there anything that you should absolutely, never ever ever joke about, even with your friends? Is there any subject, not directly affecting you, that you won't laugh at? And why?
    Rape and Child Abuse for a start.
    Neither are the least bit funny ...ever.

Advertisement