Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you shouldn't joke about?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 4:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Obviously it depends on the people you are joking with. If somebody is fat, then they probably aren't going to appreciate you making fun of obesity but, in general, when you are hanging out with a group of people and generating entertainment from joking about taboo subjects, are you crossing a line by doing so? Let's assume that whatever subject in question doesn't affect the people in your group when you are making these jokes and you are aware of this fact.

I'm not so much talking about jokes like the ones on Sickipedia but moreso if somebody says something witty concerning a topic of discussion. For example, if you are talking about Hitler and some hilarious person says 'he was a gas man'. (Pretty boring, overdone joke I know)

Is there any harm on getting kicks from shocking jokes? A lot of comedy these days relies on the shock factor. One of Ricky Gervais's DVDs got laughs from the subject of rape for instance.

Sometimes people will contradict themselves by laughing at a joke concerning one tragedy but get offended by one of a similar taste. How can you be okay with a tsunami joke but find a 9/11 joke too far?

In an episode of Scrubs they featured a bit about doctors making jokes surrounding death in the hospital. The tagline was that it was better to laugh at it than force yourself to deal with the horribleness.

I go along with this line of thinking. The world is a ****ed up place and if having a laugh helps you get through it then what's the harm? If I am hanging out with my friends and somebody says something witty and clever concerning a horrible part of life such as cancer, famine, death, etc then I will laugh and not feel bad. I don't think this makes me a bad person. Who am I hurting really? Maybe people disagree.

So basically, is there anything that you should absolutely, never ever ever joke about, even with your friends? Is there any subject, not directly affecting you, that you won't laugh at? And why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Laughter is a way of dealing with some issues.

Some people don't like jokes, especially if its on their door step.
    A good example of this would be the Irish Car Bomb drinks thread a few weeks ago.

If you can give it, you have to be able to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've a very open, liberal mind but sexual abuse of any nature, whether child abuse or rape, is just not "jokeable".

I hate rape jokes. I even hate the word to describe other things such as "I had to pay €300 to get the car fixed, they raped me on the labour!".

It just sounds cheap and nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

kraggy wrote: »
    I've a very open, liberal mind but sexual abuse of any nature, whether child abuse or rape, is just not "jokeable".

I hate rape jokes. I even hate the word to describe other things such as "I had to pay €300 to get the car fixed, they raped me on the labour!".

Obviously rape is a horrible thing but can you control yourself if somebody made a witty comment about something you find horrible? I can't think of an example and if I could, I wouldn't share it out of respect but what I'm getting at is how can you stop yourself from finding a certain remark funny, despite the subject matter and how strongly you believe in it? Maybe I haven't been affected by anything truly horrible in my life, nor do I know of anyone who has been so I can't truly empathise with how a certain subject could 100% be unfunny to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I remember, many years ago, I was watching "Match of the Day" one Sunday morning having missed it the night before.

The gf arrives in from the bedroom.

"Get in here. I'm horny."

So, having done the biz and satiated the harlot's needs, she goes into the bathroom to brush her teeth. I follow her in and sit in the bath, rocking forwards and backwards going, "I know it's not my fault but I just feel dirty"

Rape may not be funny but she spat her toothpaste all over the mirror.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I remember, many years ago, I was watching "Match of the Day" one Sunday morning having missed it the night before.

The gf arrives in from the bedroom.

"Get in here. I'm horny."

So, having done the biz and satiated the harlot's needs, she goes into the bathroom to brush her teeth. I follow her in and sit in the bath, rocking forwards and backwards going, "I know it's not my fault but I just feel dirty"

Rape may not be funny but she spat her toothpaste all over the mirror.:pac:

Not as dirty as yer GF, didn't even brush her teeth before she rode ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Child abuse. Joking about that can never be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I've always found jokes about dead babies/murdered kids to be very distasteful. Takes a certain kind of special sicko to crack them jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No, they're just jokes.

Though time and place and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

the mods sexual habits which I'm not doing just pointing out how probably unfunny it would be if someone did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Where's the line though? Murder is worse and torture is just as bad, but saying 'The traffic is murder/torture' and no-one would bat an eyelid.

There's a "joke" I thought of when in conversation with a paramedic about a regular call he'd get....

Week 1: "Oh dear God no! Don't jump! Wait! I'll talk you down...."

Week 2: "How could you? After what happened last week? Have you learned nothing?...."

Week 14: "Howrya John, wife at you again? You're going to jump then? Well, we'll be here if you do......"

Could never, ever think of an appropriate time to tell it. Reading it back I'm not finding it funny myself.

So maybe suicide is unjokable about.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Where's the line though? Murder is worse and torture is just as bad, but saying 'The traffic is murder/torture' and no-one would bat an eyelid.

The thing with "rape" entering the lexicon, is that it is used by those who want to push the envelope of acceptability, who either don't know, or actively hate, those who would get offended by its use, and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The thing with "rape" entering the lexicon, is that it is used by those who want to push the envelope of acceptability, who either don't know, or actively hate, those who would get offended by its use, and why.

I say rape all the time in front of friends, I don't say it to offend people, and if anyone got offended or annoyed about it I'd tell them to do one. No-one can answer why it's not as bad as murder or torture, people are just oversensitive (unless its a rape victim)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The short answer is No.

However a lot of people will use the word 'Joke' when actually what they just want to do is make a racist or mysoginist comment.....that there is wrong and not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I lost the plot and left another forum on account of a joke that I considered to have crossed the line. In hindsight, I probably laugh at jokes that other people consider to be highly offensive.

So, to answer the question, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

You shouldn't joke about Mary Harney...

She will track your IP address and she will f**k up your day.

I say rape all the time in front of friends, I don't say it to offend people, and if anyone got offended or annoyed about it I'd tell them to do one. No-one can answer why it's not as bad as murder or torture, people are just oversensitive (unless its a rape victim)

So basically you think people who get offended by using the rape word are scum/misguided/something between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

So basically you think people who get offended by using the rape word are scum/misguided/something between.

maybe he thinks he's hilarious and they just don't get his amazing sense of humour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 THT

It seems to be fairly acceptable to joke about murder or to use to term casually, such as " I'd murder a pint" or " I'll kill you if you're late again".

It's strange how some crimes are taboo whereas others such as murder aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I'd rape a praline pastry for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd rape a pint about now...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Threads merged.

On a side note lets try not and fill this with offensive jokes. There are other forums much better suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'd rape a pint about now...

its 8.45 on a Monday morning

get thee to an AA meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

People with disabilities. I find the term 'retard' really offensive whenever I hear people say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Drug Mules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Retard is the funniest word ever. FACT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How do you know none of your friends are rape victims? What if you told a friend who is a rape victim to do one?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

While I dislike crass jokes I don't see the issue with a word having a wider usage and definition than just one particular and nasty context. Given how old the term is its not reasonable to restrict it to our outraged 21st century specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In general, I think anything should be fair game for jokes even if some of of them wouldn't be to my taste.

Like anybody, I have some personal subjects that it irritates me to see jokes about but I just ignore it as I know that, conversely, there is stuff that doesn't bother me that bothers others.

Unless it's genuine;y hate-inciting stuff (which it very rarely is), thanks-whoring crusades to remove jokes from threads make me cringe.

Advertisement