Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious fundamentalism as mental illness

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

How about those guys in the Phillipines who crucify themselves on Good Friday?

It's weird and stupid, but people are entitled to be weird and stupid if they want to be. It's an event which has been condemned by the Catholic church as far as I know.
    Or some of the weird stuff in Latin America? Or those weird parades in Spain?

Not sure what weird stuff in Latin America you are referring to, but the processions in Spain go back a long way and are cultural as much as anything else. I'd imagine it's good for the tourist industry too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No Wibbs, what I mean is within Protestanism you have a multitude of options, at least in the US, episcopalian, Anglican, Lutheran, etc eat...there a re hundreds.
    And as I said they're more likely to be literalists when it comes to their scriptures.
    And the Jews have options too. You can be reformed and not Orthodox for example.
    That's not a valid comparison. That's like saying Christians have options. After all they can be Catholic, Episcopalian, Anglican, Lutheran, etc
    Catholics don't do this. You follow or you don't.
    As Nodin said Catholicism is but one branch of Christianity and "you follow this or don't" applies to the other branches too. Actually one could argue that a la carte Catholics are more prevalent than say a la carte Lutherans, though Anglicans/CoI/CoE would be ahead of even them. Hell I'm old enough to remember such a la carte notions back in the last of the bad old days of Irish Catholicism.

Take the US. Survey after survey shows that basically half of all Americans polled believe in creationism and only 15% believe in evolution(what the rest believe is up for grabs and some headscratching). I'll bet the farm that the number of US Catholics that believe in creationism is low. Oddly nigh on 80% of Americans believe in angels. I would have thought that kinda thing more a catholic notion, but there you go. These are the same people who nigh on built the middle of the 20th century. They put men on the moon for feck sake and those that did weren't east coast intellectuals, they were corvette driving good old boys for the most part. Real giants of progress, yet today too many think fossils are remains of Noahs flood. WTF? I'm still holding out hope for the 30% of American folks who see this as bullshít.
    Transubstantiation. Are you kidding me?
    Sure it's daft, but it's an interesting philosophical/theological construct all the same. Most protestants would believe in the trinity and that's an even bigger fudge, though again interesting in how these guys in the early days worked that problem out.
    How about those guys in the Phillipines who crucify themselves on Good Friday? Or some of the weird stuff in Latin America? Or those weird parades in Spain?
    Local colour on the faith and while the church has had an uneasy relationship with such practices it usually chooses to ignore them. Again, less literalist. PLus as Benny_Cake said it's as much local culture as anything. Easter in Spain or Italy is bloody great for a knees up and simply having fun, very inclusive too. I know a couple of Italian agnostic/atheist blokes who dress up in the pointy hats and help carry the processional floats at easter. All part of the craic. Build a hangover for Jesus. :) Actually Irish catholicism is more akin to more puritan protestant thought in that respect. It's about the dourest Catholicism in Europe there was. Real vale of tears stuff, while the latins were busy getting pissed in the same vale.:D

The Catholic church was usually quite good at that local stuff. Incorporating existing "pagan" cultural stuff into the bosom of mother Rome. Not least in Ireland. The amount of "holy wells" a good example. Such wells were integral parts of the old Celtic religion and when christianity kicked off here they just brought them into the fold. They even turned a bunch of the existing warrior caste into warriors for christ.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Wibbs wrote: »
    And as I said they're more likely to be literalists when it comes to their scriptures.

That's not a valid comparison. That's like saying Christians have options. After all they can be Catholic, Episcopalian, Anglican, Lutheran, etc

As Nodin said Catholicism is but one branch of Christianity and "you follow this or don't" applies to the other branches too. Actually one could argue that a la carte Catholics are more prevalent than say a la carte Lutherans, though Anglicans/CoI/CoE would be ahead of even them. Hell I'm old enough to remember such a la carte notions back in the last of the bad old days of Irish Catholicism.

Take the US. Survey after survey shows that basically half of all Americans polled believe in creationism and only 15% believe in evolution(what the rest believe is up for grabs and some headscratching). I'll bet the farm that the number of US Catholics that believe in creationism is low. Oddly nigh on 80% of Americans believe in angels. I would have thought that kinda thing more a catholic notion, but there you go. These are the same people who nigh on built the middle of the 20th century. They put men on the moon for feck sake and those that did weren't east coast intellectuals, they were corvette driving good old boys for the most part. Real giants of progress, yet today too many think fossils are remains of Noahs flood. WTF? I'm still holding out hope for the 30% of American folks who see this as bullshít.

Sure it's daft, but it's an interesting philosophical/theological construct all the same. Most protestants would believe in the trinity and that's an even bigger fudge, though again interesting in how these guys in the early days worked that problem out.

Local colour on the faith and while the church has had an uneasy relationship with such practices it usually chooses to ignore them. Again, less literalist. PLus as Benny_Cake said it's as much local culture as anything. Easter in Spain or Italy is bloody great for a knees up and simply having fun, very inclusive too. I know a couple of Italian agnostic/atheist blokes who dress up in the pointy hats and help carry the processional floats at easter. All part of the craic. Build a hangover for Jesus. :) Actually Irish catholicism is more akin to more puritan protestant thought in that respect. It's about the dourest Catholicism in Europe there was. Real vale of tears stuff, while the latins were busy getting pissed in the same vale.:D

The Catholic church was usually quite good at that local stuff. Incorporating existing "pagan" cultural stuff into the bosom of mother Rome. Not least in Ireland. The amount of "holy wells" a good example. Such wells were integral parts of the old Celtic religion and when christianity kicked off here they just brought them into the fold. They even turned a bunch of the existing warrior caste into warriors for christ.

My guess as to what most Americans believe re creationism or evolution, is that they don't care either way. It doesn't really come up in conversation. Fossils are remains of Noah's flood? That's a new one on me. Don't know ONE single person who believes that.

As for angels, that's all the new agey market. Sucker born every minute. Snake oil salesman. Etc.

Catholics are a minority in the US, mostly Boston and Chicago. The Mexicans might tip the balance in California. I don't know. I reckon most Catholics in the west don't actually believe in transubstantiation, but that technically makes them non believers, not Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Cutting off your childs foreskin in the name of religion is pretty mental...

But if it makes God happy.

I'm off to kill a goat, according to the good book he loves that sh!t too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Cutting off your childs foreskin in the name of religion is pretty mental...

But if it makes God happy.

I'm off to kill a goat, according to the good book he loves that sh!t too.

I've never met a troll that was particularly mentally stable either..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

conorhal wrote: »
    I've never met a troll that was particularly mentally stable either..... :rolleyes:

I've never met an amature psychologist that was mentally stable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Amerika wrote: »
    "We've finally given liberals a war against fundamentalism, and they don't want to fight it. They would except that it would put them on the same side as the United States." - Ann Coulter

Oh, the irony of Ann Coulter talking about fundamentalism.

Advertisement