Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious fundamentalism as mental illness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Should we lock them all up in asylums?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/351347

Or just arrest them if they break laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's it again? 'The bigoted defamation of an opposite opinion rather than a willingness to pay any attention to it. Liberal Bigotory is the worst of all as it thinks it's so enlightened.'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should we lock them all up in asylums?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/351347

Poor aul Kathleen looks like she could do with locking up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You know,

I had a good point for here, but im so hungover I can barely function.
    All I will say is that this article is about as useful as sandpaper to wipe your ass with.
    Very similar to that other nonsense of an article about Atheists having a disorder. Some journalists/writers just love trying to wind people up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Earthwalker

What do you think we should do with 'em OP?

Personally, I'd like to stick that woman you linked to in am asylum, but that just me. Can't stand up their own arse fcukers with superiority complexes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

You know,

I had a good point for here, but im so hungover I can barely function.
    All I will say is that this article is about as useful as sandpaper to wipe your ass with.
    Very similar to that other nonsense of an article about Atheists having a disorder. Some journalists/writers just love trying to wind people up.

Actually I can't stand religious fundamentalists of any order or variety, and agree they are crackpots, but I don't know about this idea. Psychs are the only people who can lock you up without a trial.

It reminds me a bit of what soviets did with their dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Actually I can't stand religious fundamentalists of any order or variety, and agree they are crackpots, but I don't know about this idea. Psychs are the only people who can lock you up without a trial.

It reminds me a bit of what soviets did with their dissidents.

And the British army did during internment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Yes, I'd go along with the general gist of the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Psychs are the only people who can lock you up without a trial.

Is there no right of appeal/review of detention in US? Had a quick look and all I can see are references to due process, rather than review of process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Ah great, another attempt to pathologise beliefs and behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Frito wrote: »
    Is there no right of appeal/review of detention in US? Had a quick look and all I can see are references to due process, rather than review of process.

Ah I found it, there is a review process legislated in mental health procedures act 1976. I thought an absence of review unusual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 zachaus

I wonder do boards.ie Ltd. tolerate similar OPs on gay people or Jews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

zachaus wrote: »
    I wonder do boards.ie Ltd. tolerate similar OPs on gay people or Jews?

Well religious people can be one of the most intolerable and oppressive bastards on earth. Gay people are not oppressive, and considering how ironic it is that most religious fundamentalists can actually be very much evil, why should they be put on the same level? They're not victims of anything, in fact they're usually the ones creating victims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As long as they're not committing crimes, I don't think it would be ethical to treat them in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

thread feels kinda condescending to actual mental illness.
    I dont think people with mental illness deserve to be locked up, the majority of the time anyway.

Not trying to be that usuall high horse pc no fun allowed arsehole. I wouldnt say it is, maybe the behaviours of one fit another mental illness like OCD or something (not sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

When you see a grown-up man dropping off his heavily pregnant wife to a maternity hospital, and two days later indulge himself in a suicide bomb that would kill many ordinary men, women and children and the father to the child his wife is due to deliver? Religious fundamentalism/ mentally disturbed?

I've come across a very good argument for Jesus being a malignant narcissist. It's rational and convincing. Not sure if I can link it here. Never too sure on boards offensiveness meter/Ireland blasphemy laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

Must say I've encountered a hell of a lot more fundamentalist atheist than fundamentalist religious people and the majority of them were bigoted, rude, sneering a**holes.

I don't believe in any gods, afterlife etc myself but I'd happily take a Jehova any day over someone who loves telling everyone how atheist they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Most insane people don't actually hurt anybody. Most fundamentalists do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Must say I've encountered a hell of a lot more fundamentalist atheist than fundamentalist religious people and the majority of them were bigoted, rude, sneering a**holes.

I don't believe in any gods, afterlife etc myself but I'd happily take a Jehova any day over someone who loves telling everyone how atheist they are.

I have to say that the myth of the 'Fundamentalist Atheist' seems to be very much in the eye of the beholder. Another case of the shouty minority claiming to be the silent majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

to quote the article
    What we perceive from our perspective as our legitimate self-defensive reaction to the psychosis of the enemy, is from the perspective of the same enemy our equally malignant psychotic self-obsession.

I believe this is going to be a circular argument.

Speaking of mental health, believers are more likely to lead healthier lifestyles and have better mental health than bitter, nihilistic atheists. Believers also have a happier family life and live longer.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Well religious people can be one of the most intolerable and oppressive bastards on earth. Gay people are not oppressive, and considering how ironic it is that most religious fundamentalists can actually be very much evil, why should they be put on the same level? They're not victims of anything, in fact they're usually the ones creating victims.

Did you even read the article I posted? You'd think twice about mental illness then.

By their fruits ye shall know them. You're a bigot plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

If one person suffers from delusions, it's called mental illness.

When a large group of people suffer from delusions, it's called religion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Most insane people don't actually hurt anybody. Most fundamentalists do.
    Utter and complete nonsense. So a fundamentalist Quaker or Jain is likely to hurt you? Read more. Seriously.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Utter and complete nonsense. So a fundamentalist Quaker or Jain is likely to hurt you? Read more. Seriously.

Is there such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I have suffered from mental health problems for many years, and have got to know many people with mental health issues. In my experience people with mental health problems are often very flexible about their beliefs, having to confront issues and re-evaluate beliefs in the course of recovery. In my experience fundamentalists are extremely inflexible about their beliefs an propagate this inflexibility by indoctrinating people, especially the young. You may not consider this harmful, but I do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is there such a thing?
    Of course there are. You're making the usual mistake of conflating "fundamentalist" with aggressive xenophobia. Hell some conflate fundamentalist almost exclusively with Islam. Often those who do so are fundamentalist Christians. The irony is delish.

A fundamentalist is simply someone who rigidly follows the teachings of a religion(or sometimes a political system). A fundamentalist Jain would be about the safest human being you could find yourself in a room with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

zachaus wrote: »
    Speaking of mental health, believers are more likely to lead healthier lifestyles and have better mental health than bitter, nihilistic atheists. Believers also have a happier family life and live longer.

Believers in what?

Advertisement