Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men-would you take your wife's surname?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

i wouldnt, i wouldnt expect her to take mine either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

No no I'm a purebred, One of these days I'm going to walk up to Tara and take my rightful seat. :pac:

i have 3 lines of O'Neills in my family within 3 generations, you'll have to fight me for that Ulster seat

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Derrydoc

I wouldn't but I would be happy enough if she wanted to keep her maiden name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You mean, would I give up being a man? Ahh, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Derrydoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't but I would be happy enough if she wanted to keep her maiden name.

What would you do if you had kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Derrydoc

cantdecide wrote: »
    Not sure. Flip a coin for each one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I wouldn't be happy for my (imaginary!) husband to take my surname - that would just be weird, it's MY family name, not his!

I wouldn't take his name, either, I'm quite happy with my name just as it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Double barrel the shizzle outta that kidizzle.

Sorry have been messing around on gizoogle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Tlachtga wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy for my (imaginary!) husband to take my surname - that would just be weird, it's MY family name, not his!

I wouldn't take his name, either, I'm quite happy with my name just as it is. :)

C'mon like- what if he said he didn't want you taking his "because it's his name and that would be weird"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    i have 3 lines of O'Neills in my family within 3 generations, you'll have to fight me for that Ulster seat

I've the High King O'Connor family on my other side though, since we're related through the O'Neill Clan I think we should form an alliance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

C'mon like- what if he said he didn't want you taking his "because it's his name and that would be weird"?

Well ... as I don't want to take it anyways, it would be a non-issue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

My boyfriend is Spanish and if we got married in some parallel universe, I'd be tempted to take his surname only cos it sounds all exotic and fargnin compared to my own incredibly boring and mundane surname. I've no attachment to my surname and don't go in for all this clann stuff. I suppose I'd be pretty miffed if he expected me to change my name though but that's not his style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You would if her name was DRAGONHAWK

I've the High King O'Connor family on my other side though, since we're related through the O'Neill Clan I think we should form an alliance.

my gread-grandmother was a connaught woman, this 'who is the more gaelic' competition could go down to the wire.
    you may be a relative of the Southern Ui Neill clan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I think my last name is really nice and not very common at all. Easy to spell and pronounce. It's the name of a university in America so everyone has heard it I think.

I'd like to take my husbands name if I ever marry, unless its awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

my gread-grandmother was a connaught woman, this 'who is the more gaelic' competition could go down to the wire.
    you may be a relative of the Southern Ui Neill clan.

Slieve Bloom territory South Offaly and edging into North Tipp. Southern enough I suppose.

Slieve Bloom territory South Offaly and edging into North Tipp. Southern enough I suppose.

i think the southern ui neill were around the westmeath area, they split from the ulster clan in the 500's or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

No no I'm a purebred, One of these days I'm going to walk up to Tara and take my rightful seat. :pac:
    On the dart to Howth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No.

/closethread
    Did you read that, mods?! Close the fricking thread because someone said to do so!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Did you read that, mods?! Close the fricking thread because someone said to do so!!! :pac:

He said it wrong though. Forgot the capitals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

That's some serious fecking inbreeding right there, do you have webbed feet and a claw?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Only men who are confident in their masculinity would be okay with this.

So, no, then.

That's some serious fecking inbreeding right there, do you have webbed feet and a claw?

if you don't live in derry/tyrone/antrim then you don't know how many o'neills there are, different branches. most of the people in my parish are distantly related.

if you feel the need to insult me more, go right ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

honestly if the missus didnt want my surname , fine. double barrel surname fine, BUT our kids are not having a double barrel and are taking my name simple.

i dont understand kids names in their mothers maiden name before they are married. i know of a couple (idiots if you ask me) gave their kid the mothers maiden name while they werent married, they got married and the mother took the husbands name.....now the kid has a different surname to both of it parent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

No.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i dont understand kids names in their mothers maiden name before they are married. i know of a couple (idiots if you ask me) gave their kid the mothers maiden name while they werent married, they got married and the mother took the husbands name.....now the kid has a different surname to both of it parent!

Mommy's baby. Daddy's? Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Take her surname and leave your testicels at reception on the way out sir

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

I kept my surname when I got married as I felt it was an outdated, sexist tradition. My husband was fine with it, knowing I wasn't submissive or conformist. Likewise, I didn't expect him to change his surname to mine.

The problem is with our kids' surname - what were we to do? I don't like double barreled names & I felt that society would possibly think my hubby wasn't the children's father is they had my surname, not his.

So, they have taken his surname. I am okay with this as it was the best (not ideal) solution for us. But now I am the only one in our little family with a different surname! Would that be enough for me to change it? No, because I felt like it was a superficial reason to change it and I would be a poor role model for my children.

It was a big deal to me - so great question! Sorry for length of reply :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Haha, no.

I wouldn't expect her to change her's either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement