Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Renegades

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I fear for this. Low budget trek is not likely to look good on film. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It is ten years after Voyager’s return from the Delta Quadrant, and the Federation is in a crisis. The Federation’s main suppliers of dilithium crystals are disappearing. Space and time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any contact with outside worlds. And this phenomenon is not natural – someone or something is causing this to happen.

This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation’s normal jurisdiction. For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander Tuvok, Voyager’s former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized Section 31. Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew – mostly outcasts and rogues – even criminals.

This new crew is tasked with finding out what is causing the folding of time and space, and stopping it – at all costs. But will they be able to put aside their differences and stop trying to kill one another in time to accomplish their mission?

This sounds absolutely awful, I'm sorry but that has to be the most unimaginative, uninformed & stretched beyond belief synopsis I've ever read. I actually remember commenting on this before:

So at the age of 137, Checkov is still active & not only that but 'Head of Intelligence'? Lol, ok.
    Tuvok is still a Commander, ten years after Voyagers return? Ok.
    Tuvok is head or the 'reorganised' Section 31? Lol, ok.
    Nobody else can figure out what is happening, other than Tuvok's motley crue of outcasts, rogues & criminals? Ok.

God, they're really up against it if that's their starting block

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EnterNow wrote: »
    This sounds absolutely awful, I'm sorry but that has to be the most unimaginative, uninformed & stretched beyond belief synopsis I've ever read. I actually remember commenting on this before:

So at the age of 137, Checkov is still active & not only that but 'Head of Intelligence'? Lol, ok.
    Tuvok is still a Commander, ten years after Voyagers return? Ok.
    Tuvok is head or the 'reorganised' Section 31? Lol, ok.
    Nobody else can figure out what is happening, other than Tuvok's motley crue of outcasts, rogues & criminals? Ok.

God, they're really up against it if that's their starting block

Their ship, before the redesign was one of the most imaginative ship designs in recent memory.

Essentially, they cut the forward section of a Klingon Bird of Prey and stuck it onto the Defiant.

Actually, words do it too much justice...

b9881d75198b778f41f413930d5c178c_large.png?1347132497

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

give it a chance give it a chance givie it a chance....

Post_card_Indie_gogo2.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmnope nope nope nope nope nope nopenopenopenopenopenopenope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Overheal wrote: »
    give it a chance give it a chance givie it a chance....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmnope nope nope nope nope nope nopenopenopenopenopenopenope

But they've got a hot girl in it!!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

this is d future of star trek?,is this thread a piss take?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That poster is the worst photoshop job ive ever seen in my life haha, they didnt even bother fading in the characters correctly, someone just cut and pasted in the heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

this is the formula for a trek film,you need a bald and grey dude,a vulcan,a weird looking alien and a pretty face,
    bringing back old characters like checkov(at his age) smacks of desperation,
    im not that gone on tuvok but i suppose he's still relevant,is he gonna show some of his martial arts this time,he wasnt able to show it in voyager,he was afraid of his **** of d borg,
    worst vulcan ever imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They raised well above the 20,000 though so I guess it's going into production now?

I was thinking about how to make a new trek series and the thought just popped into my head that they need to spice it up, like a Spartacus or GoT version of Star Trek, with high production values. Maybe take a similar line, like a fed that's trying to maintain this utopian ideal but internally there's all this political intrigue and externally too with respect to the different galactic power blocs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Never liked tuvok myself, plus isnt that alien guy very similiar to a race of aliens in stargate? cant remember their names but they where the first ones to host Goulds.

• Advertisement

So many ideas that could be explored, I'm astounded at the desperation they've resorted to though. It's more about what high profile Trek stars can you find & mash together, than actually creating something engaging, fresh & new.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

keithgeo wrote: »
    Never liked tuvok myself, plus isnt that alien guy very similiar to a race of aliens in stargate? cant remember their names but they where the first ones to host Goulds.

The Unas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Teaser trailer posted last week:

Quality looks better than I was expecting to be honest.

That does actually make me pay this more attention. I still say it's a bit silly having Chekov in this. I know they want big names, but his canon age is ridiculous at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hmm not so sure how this is going to turn out...could be a disaster.

At least I can go back to my DS9 reruns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Haha this looks like the worst thing ever.

Chekov: Tuwok, you are now head of Section 31

Tuvok: Whaaaa?

Checkov: Yes, and our suppliers of dilithium crystals are disappearing and space and time is folding around planets mysteriously.

Tuvok: We have dilithium crystal suppliers now?

Checkov: We had all along, you should have known that.

Tuvok: Emmmm….

Chekov: That's right Tuwok, the Federation is in trouble… for some reason... We’ve tried our best people but it didn’t work, so you must assemble a team of renegades, a craic team of misfits, degenerates and failures.

Tuvok: You mean you want me to play Mass Effect 2 with the cast of Battlestar Galactica?

Checkov: Exactly, and make it all look deep and meaningful with cheesy dialogue, sideways camera shots and brooding music.

Tuvok: Eh, ok

Checkov: Oh, Tuwok, one last thing. That Transformers movie was cool, copy the title sequence of that for no reason.

Tuvok: Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

I must also check out "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men" once i have finished "Star Trek: Phase 2 (New Voyages)"

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That does not look good.

At least the title looks cooler than the transformers version they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

corkie wrote: »

I must also check out "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men" once i have finished "Star Trek: Phase 2 (New Voyages)"

That certainly does look better.

I was a little bit disappointed by "Of Gods and Men", but it wasn't the worst. I've watched the first of the New Voyages and will give the rest of them a look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think it looks awful.

Star Trek was about exploration and humanity. This is just phasers and figthing.

I'll say it again, having a 150 year old Chekov in it just screams of badly written fan fiction, which of course, it is.

Not terrible, but not fantastic seems to be the first review I've seen on it.

http://moviehole.net/201594127star-trek-renegades-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think it looks awful.

Star Trek was about exploration and humanity. This is just phasers and figthing.

So DS9 season 4 upwards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Goodshape wrote: »
    That does not look good.

Looks alright to me. Lots of well known faces. Nice looking ships, not an Abrahms-esque USS MacBook Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

IvySlayer wrote: »
    This is just phasers and figthing.

And Wrath of Khan was what? Aside from the best Trek movie ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

syklops wrote: »
    And Wrath of Khan was what? Aside from the best Trek movie ever.

Followed by First Contact as 2nd best and more shooting and gunning.

Generations and Insurrection are TNG through and through and they're rubbish.

The thing about Wrath of Khan & First Contact though, is that there is at least some long standing context behind the action (strong tones of revenge & personal hurt in characters we know & love). That separates mindless action, from contextual & meaningful action (DS9's action was never meaningless either, & also had the benefit of strong context). Renegades doesn't have the benefit of long standing context, & can only give context within its own run time, & in conjunction with several unknown characters means it will struggle to make any real impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I also find it very hard to believe that echeb would become a "renegade".

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    I also find it very hard to believe that echeb would become a "renegade".

It's great that there are characters from the canon shows, but the writing/plot is just typical of non canon fan fiction. I like Chekov, but he should only be in shows from the TOS/TMP era, or at most, flashbacks. Having him at 150 years old in a show is ludicrous. The whole Section 31 thing too is tripe.

Tuvok & Echeb being transported to the mirror universe in the very late pre-TNG era would have been a much simpler, more elegant solution. Or something along those lines anyway.

Advertisement