Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much have you lost in the financial troubles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My ability to believe in the future & to hope & dream -shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm doing well im up.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I've lost confidence in and respect for politicians, bankers, developers, estate agents, barristers, solicitors and certain media outlets...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Personally lost nothing as didnt invest in property

My father lost his job during the boom.he was with them over 40 years.....when he lost his job the government denied him dole because my mam has a modest public sector job...he was able to get disability as he has an iffy leg.his been struggling with bills lately so I givehim 150 a month.its not a lot but keeps him from not getting stressed which in turn makes both their lives easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My wages have gotten smaller and smaller, but thankfully I've never had loans, mortgages or credit cards, so I'm not in debt. I might not have my own house or car, which I'd love to have both of, but I'm a hell of a lot luckier than most because I'm not in debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 GRob1737

Thankfukly I was just outa college when the it all hit 5 years ago and my folks raised me with a value for money. So working away for crap wages. I guess coz i was young wheb the boom happened and just old enough to see th bad after it I an much more clever with money and investing. I want a house because to ne renting is a waste if money and in most cases a mortage is much cheaper but at least they dont just give iut 100% mortgages so me and my partner have to save our arses of to get a house so we wilk only buy what we can defo afford and wont be getting greedy so to speak. So i guess i kinda gained in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

zapata wrote: »
    I've lost confidence in and respect for politicians, bankers, developers, estate agents, barristers, solicitors and certain media outlets...:mad:

That's not a bad thing really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭worded

diomed wrote: »

Is it a really good read?
    Whats your opinion on property in Dublin at the mo? Is it a mini bubble about to pop and then dip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

worded wrote: »
    Whats your opinion on property in Dublin at the mo? Is it a mini bubble about to pop and then dip ?

Can't lose, best get on the ladder before it is too late. Sure property never goes down and anyway Ireland is special, it's the meeja talking it down. I can get you a deal if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seeing as how I am long term unemployed. I have lost quite a bit of money I should have been making :(

Don't know what I am going to do being honest. All I am looking for is a full time job. Doesnt matter what. You'd think it would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Things are pretty much the same, but that doesn't mean I'm loaded.

Tax increases probably offset by lower mortgage rates.

Still totally pissed off at the way country is being run. FG/Labour no different to FF/PD/GP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What did you lose 200 k on?

bigpink wrote: »
    What did you lose 200 k on?

Did you miss this bit?
    Doom wrote: »
    Personally I would say as a family we have lost about 200k, most of it on a boom time house.
    And we are close to not been able to pay the mortgage soon....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Well if its your home for life don't look at it as a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My pension was pretty much wiped out in 2008 and just last month it has returned to a level where my payments match the current balance.
    Negative equity of about 70k on my home but that doesn't make any difference to me. Wife was made redundant but opened a shop soon afterwards, has two shops now, although making bugger all money, she is happier now. My wages are higher now that pre-recession times, so all in all, I count myself very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nothing. Actually I'm better off than I was before they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm just about to graduate from university so I didn't lose anything I already had - but I think me and my generation all "lost" the future we'd been promised in school (recession hit when I was in 6th year). Came out of secondary into a very different society than previous years and some of them still haven't been able to get even a basic part-time minimum-wage job due to lack of experience and availability.*

So I guess we lost some career opportunities and the chance to be financially independent before our mid 20s...

(*Disclaimer: I am currently working, but earning nowhere near enough to move out of my parents home for quite some time yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

200k on mortgage free property! 345k now 150k or there abouts!

bigpink wrote: »
    Well if its your home for life don't look at it as a loss.

Pretty much fcuks any career where moving would be advantageous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

worded wrote: »
    Is it a really good read?
    No. It isn't a good read. The language is archaic. It can be difficult to understand. The message is this has happened hundreds of times in the last few hundred years.
    Read this and you can (imo) read the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm just about to graduate from university so I didn't lose anything I already had - but I think me and my generation all "lost" the future we'd been promised in school (recession hit when I was in 6th year). Came out of secondary into a very different society than previous years and some of them still haven't been able to get even a basic part-time minimum-wage job due to lack of experience and availability.*

So I guess we lost some career opportunities and the chance to be financially independent before our mid 20s...

(*Disclaimer: I am currently working, but earning nowhere near enough to move out of my parents home for quite some time yet.)

Most of my siblings are in that same situation.

They went to Uni, got degrees, now they are in their mid/late 20s and can't find jobs. Jobs that don't require degrees don't want them because they know they'll leave if they ever had the chance to do something that would pay them for their educational background. Jobs that do require the degrees are flooded with applicants, many of whom have years of experience but are willing to work for entry-level pay.

They all have *some* job, so we're grateful....but they can't afford to support themselves. They live with my parents....who keep working because they need to support their children....which, ironically, is part of why the younger generation can't find work.

But yeah - it's rough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The recession hit when I was on second or third year so haven't really lost anything. Probably won't be able to get a job in Ireland after college although I might have it easier than most as the career I've chosen (pharmaceuticals) seems to be doing ok despite the recession. Will be paying higher taxes though and earning less.
    Oh, and I also can't find a part time job to do during college.

Thinking of moving to France or Germany after college if things don't pick up before then (2016).

• I'm just about to graduate from university so I didn't lose anything I already had - but I think me and my generation all "lost" the future we'd been promised in school (recession hit when I was in 6th year). Came out of secondary into a very different society than previous years and some of them still haven't been able to get even a basic part-time minimum-wage job due to lack of experience and availability.*

At least you had a heads-up about the state of the economy before you started. I chose my subjects and went to college during the Celtic Tiger, only to graduate right when things turned to sh1t. That was really tough. :(

Still glad I didn't buy a house or anything, though. Could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Got cut to a 4 day week, before losing the job completely and have only this year gotten back to the same salary level as I was at 5 years ago.

Add higher taxes, my other half being unable to get work in this environment and I don't want to add up what this recession has cost me.

Certainly glad I never took up one of the pre-approved mortgages I was offered though.

EDIT: Forgot I also lost about 10k on BOI Shares.

Anyone know how those amazing deals on ski chalets in Bulgaria are riding out the recession ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I had more disposable income as a student working part-time throughout my undergrad (particurally in 2006 & 2007) than I do now, which is funny I guess.

I recall being in a lecture hall in 2008, the day after the Lehman Brothers collapse in the US. A lecturer for whom I had great respect for said "Guys, remember how much recruiters told you that you would be earning when you graduate? Well, you can half that now - if you are lucky."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Nothing really, I may have gained slightly. I didn't own property but was able to save enough to get there at a time when it was more recently affordable. I also probably benefited from a system which enabled me to raise a child single handedly to adulthood without suffering extreme difficulty or poverty and only just scrapped into the last straight by helping her get a decent education to boot. I don't think it would be possible to do that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

MadsL wrote: »
    Anyone know how those amazing deals on ski chalets in Bulgaria are riding out the recession ;)

Friend of mine bought a small block of 12 apartments in Constanta, Romania back about the year 2000. Shortly afterwards he developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome so had to retire from work (plumber). His kids were finished education, so he and his wife decided to head out there to live for 8 months of the year. Met him last November and he's doing pretty good. But he got in before the prices went astral.
    This is the only success story that I know of in those parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I made money. Not much but didn't invest in property

Advertisement