Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much have you lost in the financial troubles?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 1:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Personally I would say as a family we have lost about 200k, most of it on a boom time house.
    And we are close to not been able to pay the mortgage soon....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My livelihood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Doom wrote: »
    Personally I would say as a family we have lost about 200k, most of it on a boom time house.
    And we are close to not been able to pay the mortgage soon....
    Sorry to hear that man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

I lost my room, my things and my buddy's collection of old sunbathing magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭worded

Re can't pay mortgage soon .....

Are you getting advice anywhere re split mortgage / negot with bank etc ? I know Little on such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I would say that I have lost any chance of having a happy retirement in 30 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

worded wrote: »
    Re can't pay mortgage soon .....

Are you getting advice anywhere re split mortgage / negot with bank etc ? I know Little on such matters.

Yip....meeting on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Yip....meeting on Monday

Wishing you the very best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I would say that I have lost any chance of having a happy retirement in 30 years time.

That soon??? Mines about 69 years away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Being

F#@k off

• Advertisement

That soon??? Mines about 69 years away

Well get into position and try to enjoy the ride until you get there ;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

Came close on the mortgage arrears thing. Thank god I left Ireland. Still keep my head above board with payments but no chance hd I stayed home.

Good luck with the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Yip....meeting on Monday

Don't agree to anything you don't like. If its a foreign bank there is the possibility of a debt forgiveness( they want to get the **** out of Ireland ASAP). Take notes and remember tell them it's in their interest you continue to stay in the other. Otherwise if they repossess it, good luck finding the money for negative equity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I squandered my wages during the boom rather than invest it. So lost a fair bit in that regard but never lost what I didnt have so no mortgage or loans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I squandered my wages during the boom rather than invest it. So lost a fair bit in that regard but never lost what I didnt have so no mortgage or loans now.

Same, though I wish I'd saved a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I've lost nothing, in fact I'll be gaining lots of other peoples debt to pay off when I graduate. Thats if I even stay in the country although I'm sure it wouldnt be much different elsewhere except with me receiving more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

i was out foreign for the boom

been back in irl the last 3 years and now

i owe circa 16 thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Lost" a sizeable sum in the dotcom bust previously, paper profits mostly.

We figured out that if we had we bought a house instead of rented we would be approx €250-300k in the hole.

I lost the capability to continue to live in Europe however (18 months and 1000 job applications) and my daughter growing up through the year (school summer holidays are great though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Pension fund all but cleaned out. S/E all my life and had to come out here 3 years ago to start all over again at the age of 64. Will now have to work 'til I'm 74 (2023) to get the minimum old age pension. It kinda make you fatalistic but hey, every day above ground is a good one :D And you can't take it with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

4k.... ebay and credit cards.

Nothing compared to yourself OP, sorry to hear that, hopefully things pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

my my my wrote: »
    i was out foreign for the boom

been back in irl the last 3 years and now

i owe circa 16 thousand

I too was out fordin for the entirety of the "good times" came back the week the bailout was signed in 2008, so back almost 5 years now, have had work approx 25 months of the 60 ish, so I estimate a loss of possible/probable earnings of more than minimum 20K discounting SW payments paid to me in the time, and my contributions would have been much greater than payments to me.

but I suppose the megarich need/deserve the few pound more than me, shame on me for not wanting to live hand to mouth :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

My company which I had for about 17 years. On the hook for maybe 70k relating to that.

House now worth less than half what it was but as I never had that money anyway, I don't count that. Thankfully no arrears or negative equity, although both featured for a while.

Various jeeps, vans, boat etc.

All savings and pension.

Many so-called friends.

My wife.

On the plus side, I saved my health and my sanity - just. Fortunately I'm working in a different industry now.
    Also have a younger hotter nicer woman in tow. :D

All in all, it's been "interesting" but I'm happy and hopeful.

ps: @princesslala, I hope you get up and running again, I remember your inspirational story. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the country I was born and raised in. . .I wasn't sorry to leave it but it was long lost before I left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

I lost it, like a big feckin eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Couple of thousand on shares which I took instead of a bonus quite a few years back.

Other than that, I'd estimate my salary is down a few thousand every year on what it would be during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Absolutely none. Living abroad with a great salary, though I do miss home from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Lost my job, put a good chunk of savings in to a business that didn't work out. Kids are reared, house paid for, no debts, so I'm better off than many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Owe nothing, bought no house(s), did lose over 50% of my income which was small to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Siosleis

I've lost my joie de vivre.
    Áthas.
    Also, my cat:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pension fund -hard to swallow -60+k of savings gone in a casual letter from " investor"

My faith in any system or political party or promises

My trust in banks or statutory bodies/institutions built to support the " little man"

Advertisement