Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

happybob wrote: »
    P.S. Looks like UPC have had 12+ months to sort this out and still haven't. Expect attrition.

Closer to 2 years if you include the trial period - where you imagine the problems would have been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I just got rid of this box.

Had issues with the WiFi. Had the same issue with two different Horizon boxes - one laptop in particular kept having dropped/slow connections. Though it was the wireless adapter on it's way out or something but it turned out that the box and my laptop just didn't get on very well.

I have a new router from UPC (we ditched the TV package) and it running like a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What router did they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Ubee evw3226

EVW3226_1.png?itok=38xSZuh7
    Never heard of them before, but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

KungPao wrote: »
    I just got rid of this box.

Had issues with the WiFi. Had the same issue with two different Horizon boxes - one laptop in particular kept having dropped/slow connections. Though it was the wireless adapter on it's way out or something but it turned out that the box and my laptop just didn't get on very well.

I have a new router from UPC (we ditched the TV package) and it running like a dream.

Yeah, I had to do the same thing with the same results. Didn't get that router though. Used to get constant dropouts when connected to my work VPN, now have none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

I have the old bog standard UPC box. After being charged another tenner a month wondering if I should get Horizon because I feel I am getting not much bang for my buck. Is it worth it? I have a lot of recordings on old box that I would hate to lose too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

posy2010 wrote: »
    I have the old bog standard UPC box. After being charged another tenner a month wondering if I should get Horizon because I feel I am getting not much bang for my buck. Is it worth it? I have a lot of recordings on old box that I would hate to lose too!

I'm in the same boat! No chance I am willing to give Horizon a bash but feel I am getting screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cyrano54

well if you are used to make a lot of recording on your box, then Horizon might seems interesting. In particular I was lured by the ability to record 4 shows at a time, which is very handy (a bit overkill) to avoid having to sort out conflicts. But honestly, that advantage is completely offset by the poor experience of using the box to manage your recordings or your planner. It is just so counter intuitive in particular coming from the old UPC box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

posy2010 wrote: »

Don't touch it with a barge pole. It is beyond crap. Every day it throws up a new problem. Never mind the "record 4 programs" guff that they spin. The yoke struggles with one recording. It has stopped recording Top Gear for me even though i've had it on a "series link" to record every episode. Started off by recording it and the repeats during the week then gave up after 3 weeks.

Piece of junk - avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

So Seems UPC have done nothing to resolve the Horizon issues,

• Advertisement

hitbit wrote: »
    So Seems UPC have done nothing to resolve the Horizon issues,

Well they've increased the price.

They have fixed some things. And added new bugs.

Pity because if it worked properly it worked be a nice system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm moving and getting UPC as it's the only half decent provider in the area I'm moving to.

I want to get the Horizon Max TV package but I don't want the Horizon box, does anyone know if you can get the old bog standard UPC box instead of the Horizon one - it's nothing special but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

try the horizon box and see how you get on, there is a very large number of UPC horizon users who are perfectly happy with it. its not perfect, but Its also not the nightmare some few folk paint it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Horizon is the first UPC box I've had although I have had digital cable in the UK years ago. While I find the user interface frustrating (and not just because it's significantly different from Sky but because of the multiple reconfirms of each action), the functionality is good as regards recording, playback etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

I suspect the browsing would be quicker without the preview screen.

If it was possible to turn this off I would be happy with Horizon

but the preview doesnt slow down browsing at all! If you wait for a second the screen-in-screen pops up but it doesn't slow anything if you don't wait for it to pop up... Really confused as to what you are doing that this is an issue???

but the preview doesnt slow down browsing at all! If you wait for a second the screen-in-screen pops up but it doesn't slow anything if you don't wait for it to pop up... Really confused as to what you are doing that this is an issue???

So you don't think the browsing is slow?

You don't think it's loading before it pops up?

I've used the old UPC and sky and the browsing on horizon is slow.

Depends on what you are calling slow. On horizon teh transitions are quick, scrolling is fast but let down by no page up and down option. there is a lot of button clicks to get places but the UI is fast and responsive.

I should mention I have a SKY + HD box and an old UPC box at home. Horizon is by far the fastest of them.

Depends on what you are calling slow. On horizon teh transitions are quick, scrolling is fast but let down by no page up and down option. there is a lot of button clicks to get places but the UI is fast and responsive.

I should mention I have a SKY + HD box and an old UPC box at home. Horizon is by far the fastest of them.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

wally79 wrote: »
    Ok

First page of this thread makes for interesting re-reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Got Horizon a few months ago and it's been a massive pain. The easiest way to navigate the TV guide is through the Android app.

But the real problem is the god awful wifi speed. One of the reasons I got horizon was so that I could stream TV (ie, Champions League and other live sports) to my laptop. But I end up looking at the UPC logo more often than not, cos the speed is so slow.

Is there anything I can do to improve the speed of the wifi? Are there settings on the router that I could tinker with to improve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

tigger123 wrote: »
    Got Horizon a few months ago and it's been a massive pain. The easiest way to navigate the TV guide is through the Android app.

But the real problem is the god awful wifi speed. One of the reasons I got horizon was so that I could stream TV (ie, Champions League and other live sports) to my laptop. But I end up looking at the UPC logo more often than not, cos the speed is so slow.

Is there anything I can do to improve the speed of the wifi? Are there settings on the router that I could tinker with to improve it?

Channel the wifI channel to no 7 or 11. Or better still connect a lan cable to another router n use that for the wireless functions instead

also turn on 5ghz if you have a wifi card that supports it.

also turn on 5ghz if you have a wifi card that supports it.

That's a setting on the laptop then? Not the Horizon box?

Cheers for the responses :)

log into horizon web gui, http://192.168.192.1 admin/admin and in the wireless section got 5ghz on the bottom left and click on radio and enable it.

If your laptop can see that ssid you're laughing.

The Horizon box managed to randomly delete my series linked Match of the Day 2. Yaaaay. Missed the Liverpool v Utd highlights last wkd.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The Horizon box managed to randomly delete my series linked Match of the Day 2. Yaaaay. Missed the Liverpool v Utd highlights last wkd.

I was looking this up for someone the other day and found the following advice on UPC's facebook page.

Its from march 2014 so I'm not sure if its still relevant as my friend couldnt find the menu.

"I would suggest turning off your disc space management option. If you go to: Menu, Settings, Recordings and Reminders, then Disk Space Management and select: Never Delete Recordings, this will stop it from deleting your recordings."

wally79 wrote: »
    I was looking this up for someone the other day and found the following advice on UPC's facebook page.

Its from march 2014 so I'm not sure if its still relevant as my friend couldnt find the menu.

"I would suggest turning off your disc space management option. If you go to: Menu, Settings, Recordings and Reminders, then Disk Space Management and select: Never Delete Recordings, this will stop it from deleting your recordings."

Sorry, didn't explain myself very well, I had previously set MOTD 2 as a scheduled recording to take place every Sunday, and the Horizon box just decided to stop recording it last Sunday for no reason.

Basically it deletes the schedule you set. I had this for a while. It was also putting things back on the schedule/Planner I had deleted.

What I did was deleted all my recordings and all my schedule. I don't think I did an actually reset.

Then I re-input my schedule again. Seems ok now.

Its like the box has a restore point that it keeps going back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Does this on me as well. You set a series to record on series link then find out that 3 or 4 episodes in it decides not to bother recording it anymore. I've lost a few shows now because of this.

Advertisement