Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Good stuff! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Just discovered the Favourites mode on Horizon through this thread. But it's acting bizarrely. I had a number of favourites set up before the last box update. They used to appear at the top of the channel list in the TV guide. After the update that stopped happening, until I found the new Favourites mode.

So I've set up my favourites again. I have 28 favourites channels. But when I switch on Favourites mode and bring up the TV guide, I see 44 channels listed. Four of them are non-favourites. The rest of the extras are just duplicates of other ones in the favourites list. And the list isn't sorted according to the numbering I've set. The top left of the TV guide still says "All Channels View" although that's clearly not what it is since I've got 44, not a couple of hundred, channels.

Any ideas how to fix this? I've tried adding one of the offending non-favourites to favourites, and removing it again, but that had no effect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

steveon wrote: »
    I beg to differ Upc has had the horizon in development for yrs,

Design discussions maybe. The actual silicon the box runs on didn't even exist 8 years ago nor was it actually practical 8 years ago either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

ps200306 wrote: »
    Just discovered the Favourites mode on Horizon through this thread. But it's acting bizarrely. I had a number of favourites set up before the last box update. They used to appear at the top of the channel list in the TV guide. After the update that stopped happening, until I found the new Favourites mode.

So I've set up my favourites again. I have 28 favourites channels. But when I switch on Favourites mode and bring up the TV guide, I see 44 channels listed. Four of them are non-favourites. The rest of the extras are just duplicates of other ones in the favourites list. And the list isn't sorted according to the numbering I've set. The top left of the TV guide still says "All Channels View" although that's clearly not what it is since I've got 44, not a couple of hundred, channels.

Any ideas how to fix this? I've tried adding one of the offending non-favourites to favourites, and removing it again, but that had no effect.

Try a factory reset, choose keep recordings and reset to defaults. Prob will sort it. Just a guess BTW, but worth a try. Let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I've just ordered my horizon 'upgrade' this morning. Then I came across this thread. Yikes!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

crustybla wrote: »
    I've just ordered my horizon 'upgrade' this morning. Then I came across this thread. Yikes!!

Meh, don't worry about it. Horizon is grand, I've no problems with it.

Thanks Former legend! Puts my mind at rest a bit. I'm sure I'll be on here giving out if I've problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably better if you didn't read the "Talk to UPC" thread then...

True! I cancelled it this morning. Didn't fancy chancing it. With my luck with these things I could see in my future lots of frustrating phone calls to UPC and I told you so's from hubby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I dunno I knew about the problems. But I still think its a good deal despite that.

If you have the money then sky is less featured but a much more pleasant experience. But if you are on a budget you get a lot for your money.

That said I'm not a heavy user of tv if I miss an episode I don't care. But in like watching stuff in HD.

• Advertisement

We've pretty much stopped watching tv from we got UPC.

It's a rubbish product tbh. I recorded a few programs about a month ago. One has kept recording, as in every episode over various channels, despite me pressing record "this episode" only. One was a 30 minute program which stopped recording after 12 minutes - who wants to see all of a program!!

I was talking to a Sky installer last tuesday and he has assured me that Sky can be installed in a garden area, so the rule of "no satellite dishes" on houses can be bent easily now!! Counting down the months until the contract is up and then UPC can take this hopeless piece of junk back and dump it in the nearest skip...

Recorded the first episode of Glue earlier this week and set up the box to record the full series. Every subsequent airing of the first episode has been recorded from both the channel and the +1. Set up Metal Evolution to record the series and the same issue, every time that show is on it records meaning that we get both a HD and SD version of it ever time.

You must be driven demented Darko...

I've read your comments in the talk to UPC thread - i'd have the box smashed to pieces by now if I was you.

Can you get Sky Darko?

Can get Sky which we will be doing soon as our contract is up. UPC reps here and on the phone have stated that UPC will not terminate the contract easily and if we do then they will pursue us through the courts. It's a ridiculous situation, I'm paying for a service which is fundamentally flawed and no one from UPC cares. We have reps telling myself and many others on here that they are working on all the issues but that it took them almost two years to fix issues highlighted during the beta says it all.

Horizon aside, I have the bog standard box, when I press series record most times it doesn't record. You know the scenario, chillin out, nice and settled and you go to watch your program and hey presto. it's not even recorded! Still, I'll avoid horizon, narrow escape. The broadband is fine though, even though I'm paying 37 euro a month for 30mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

We had Sky installed on Thursday, part of the cpw deal. Can't believe how much quicker the Sky box is compared to the Horizon box. Channel navigation is much more user friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

As I mentioned earlier all settings are correct on my box. And I set it up on my friends to. UPC told me that it was a known issue.
    It is a problem with the Horizon box. We suffered the same problem.

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

True! I cancelled it this morning. Didn't fancy chancing it. With my luck with these things I could see in my future lots of frustrating phone calls to UPC and I told you so's from hubby.

I switched from Eircom and Sky to UPC a couple of weeks ago, mainly for the broadband. I was a bit concerned about some of the negative stuff on here but on closer examination I realised that a lot of the negativity came from a very small number of repeat posters.

So for a more accurate picture I went and asked a few of my neighbours and work colleagues. Apart from minor niggles they were all happy so I went ahead.

There were two minor delays in getting everything up and running but otherwise I'm glad I made the switch. I have the latest Horizon box which I like and the broadband is very fast and reliable.

Talk to real people in your area and don't base decisions on a few keyboard warriors.

I switched from Eircom and Sky to UPC a couple of weeks ago, mainly for the broadband. I was a bit concerned about some of the negative stuff on here but on closer examination I realised that a lot of the negativity came from a very small number of repeat posters.

So for a more accurate picture I went and asked a few of my neighbours and work colleagues. Apart from minor niggles they were all happy so I went ahead.

There were two minor delays in getting everything up and running but otherwise I'm glad I made the switch. I have the latest Horizon box which I like and the broadband is very fast and reliable.

Talk to real people in your area and don't base decisions on a few keyboard warriors.

So people having genuine issues with horizon are 'keyboard warriors' now are they? Good lord.

Have you read any of the "talk to UPC" threads - it's more than a few.

I've never used a more backwards piece of technology. It's 2014 -how can this box not be able to do the simple tasks that it claims?

• Advertisement

The fact that there are thousands of customers with issues would kind of show that the issues are very real and not something made up by people online. We've had two Horizion boxes and both have failed to work as advertised, that UPC sent out a second box would also be an indicator that there are known issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The fact that there are thousands of customers with issues would kind of show that the issues are very real and not something made up by people online. We've had two Horizion boxes and both have failed to work as advertised, that UPC sent out a second box would also be an indicator that there are known issues.

I'm not suggesting that anyone is inventing problems - your own experiences seem to be particularly awful. I probably could have phrased it better but internet forums will attract people who have issues whereas those for whom the product works are unlikely to post.

I agree with this. Spent a dozen years with Eircom broadband and Sky TV before switching to UPC a couple of years ago. Upgraded to Horizon a year ago. It would take more than a few niggles to make me forget what a desperate experience Eircom was. Yes, the UPC TV functionality has a few glitches, and the wireless broadband coverage is poor (fixed with a network extender). But it's fairly flawless 120 Mb broadband (compared to a maximum of 2.5 that Eircom could provide even when I was paying for 8), and I've got HD TV which Sky wanted extra per month for. It's not cheap and it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything I've ever had.

ps200306 wrote: »
    I agree with this. Spent a dozen years with Eircom broadband and Sky TV before switching to UPC a couple of years ago. Upgraded to Horizon a year ago. It would take more than a few niggles to make me forget what a desperate experience Eircom was. Yes, the UPC TV functionality has a few glitches, and the wireless broadband coverage is poor (fixed with a network extender). But it's fairly flawless 120 Mb broadband (compared to a maximum of 2.5 that Eircom could provide even when I was paying for 8), and I've got HD TV which Sky wanted extra per month for. It's not cheap and it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything I've ever had.

Do you really not see a real problem with a piece of new technology that requires a network extender - that the user has to pay for - in order for the broadband signal to be acceptable?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

FWIW, I signed up to Sky for TV and kept UPCs broadband and phone. I'm paying the same amount as I was for regular HD TV & broanband with UPC but I'm getting all of the sports and movies and all in HD from Sky for the year. The box is much less flaky and the navigation is nicer too.

Everyone has different experiences but please don't excuse the obviously poor wi-fi signal in the Horizon box by saying people can just get a signal booster to fix it.

SteM wrote: »
    So people having genuine issues with horizon are 'keyboard warriors' now are they? Good lord.

Just like no-one rings Joe Duffy to talk about a pleasant experience, the problem is that people are far more likely to come on the internet to complain than to talk about satisfactory service, so who knows what the actual scale of the issues is?

The advice to anyone should be to go and view the actual technology in action before you get it; relying on internet forums for reliable info on anything is pretty stupid.

Just like no-one rings Joe Duffy to talk about a pleasant experience, the problem is that people are far more likely to come on the internet to complain than to talk about satisfactory service, so who knows what the actual scale of the issues is?

The advice to anyone should be to go and view the actual technology in action before you get it; relying on internet forums for reliable info on anything is pretty stupid.

Complaining about an issue is not being a keyboard warrior in any sense of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Doing it continually when you're not even a user of the product anymore is!!!!

Do you really not see a real problem with a piece of new technology that requires a network extender - that the user has to pay for - in order for the broadband signal to be acceptable?

Huh? Yeah, of course -- it's rubbish. On the other hand, it was a once off cost to fix a problem, which is a lot better than a problem which has no easy solution. Also, I previously switched off the Horizon wireless and bridged to it from the wireless router I had used problem free for years with Eircom's broadband. That didn't work either, so my strong suspicion is the problem was not solely, or perhaps even mainly, UPC's. I suspect it is wireless interference stemming from the fact that my own router used to be the only one I could see -- now there are regularly more than a dozen neighbours' visible.

To put a question back to you -- how many broadband services have you come across that work flawlessly for all users all the time? I certainly haven't come across any. So I am pragmatic about any service I buy. UPC is by far the best combination of functionality, performance and price I have come across. Not perfect. Not even very good in some areas. But far, far, better than the available competition. To keep things in perspective, two years ago I was paying more money than I am now, for one FIFTIETH of the bandwidth.
    FWIW, I signed up to Sky for TV and kept UPCs broadband and phone. I'm paying the same amount as I was for regular HD TV & broanband with UPC but I'm getting all of the sports and movies and all in HD from Sky for the year. The box is much less flaky and the navigation is nicer too.

Yes, the TV controls are one of the weak links in the UPC offering. I'm not that fussed about TV myself. I don't have, or want, sports or movies. I only have TV at all because another person in the household wants it. Sky fitted my needs just as well. That said, UPC TV is not unusable and the higher number of simultaneous recordings avoids some household conflicts. By the way, the Sky box had some equally niggling problems, such as losing all the manually tuned satellite channels every now and again. I still use Sky for subscription-free Freesat in a holiday home, though, and am satisfied with it.
    Everyone has different experiences but please don't excuse the obviously poor wi-fi signal in the Horizon box by saying people can just get a signal booster to fix it.

Where did you get the idea I was excusing it? It's cr*p. It's also one of the less problematic compromises I've had to make with broadband providers, and I've tried pretty much every type. The actual cable signal into the house is stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What are you paying in total for BB, Phone and TV

For UPC only before VS UPC+Sky now.

• Advertisement

Complaining about an issue is not being a keyboard warrior in any sense of the term.

Where did I use the term? I'm just pointing out that you don't get balance on internet forums.

Attributing arguments to other people that they did not make, well that's a sure sign of a keyboard warrior.

Advertisement