Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirect to pull out of PRO12 sponsorship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

I think it should be renamed the Magners league. Dont car who the sponsor is. Its what I still call it anyway. And that way they might have magners at the rabo games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

eire_lad wrote: »
    I think it should be renamed the Magners league. Dont car who the sponsor is. Its what I still call it anyway. And that way they might have magners at the rabo games

think a lot of people still call it that. I do as well.

Its not good for the profile of the league though when no-one really know what to call it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

vkid wrote: »
    think a lot of people still call it that. I do as well.

Its not good for the profile of the league though when no-one really know what to call it imo

The Pro12? Alá Top 14, Premiership Rugby, Super Rugby. Why is Pro12 so confusing to people??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ye it's the Pro12 to me. Not the Rabo Pro12 just the Pro12 so no fuss going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Ye it's the Pro12 to me. Not the Rabo Pro12 just the Pro12 so no fuss going forward

Same for me. It was a good idea that they started calling it the Pro12 instead of the Celtic League or Magners League. It will have the continuity with whatever new sponsor comes in and will just be called the whatever Pro12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pro12 all the way.

The Airtricity Pro12 is it so.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Airtricity Pro12 is it so.....;)

No. The John Hayes Ligind League! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Winters wrote: »
    It would be called the Pro12. Like the Top14 and the Premiership.

Premiership is known as Aviva Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Heard one of the reasons they pulled out related to the fact that direct competitor in Ireland sponsors 3 of the 4 professional Irish teams!

• Advertisement

RaboBank and BoI compete directly on very little.

Aviva Premiership was Guinness Premiership, operative word is Premiership as is Pro 12. Thats the core brand the celtic league need to push

Just lol'd at discovering the ITM cup (NPC) is Independent Timber Merchants (Co-Op). If that doesnt sound like an Irish style competition I dont know what does!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The ITM in NZ used to be the Air New Zealand cup before it became the ITM Cup. I'm not sure if it had a sponsor before that.

While they're leaving it sounds like they've left a pretty good reference for sponsoring the league:

“The partnership with the PRO12 has helped us achieve key business objectives and has been extremely beneficial, especially in terms of developing and communicating our brand values, connecting with rugby fans and giving us a platform to reward our customers,” said Tim Bicknell, General Manager at RaboDirect.

Not bad to hear especially when it used to be called the Magners Direct Pro Rabo League when they first came on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Anyone else going to miss the Rabo promos before/after ad breaks?

DGRulz wrote: »
    Anyone else going to miss the Rabo promos before/after ad breaks?

No more Moncrieff? Yay :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depending on what happens to the HEC things could get very interesting.

If HEC qualifications becomes merit based then the Rabo league takes a step up in importance.

If the HEC dissolves and there is no replacement then the Rabo takes a step up in importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,099 ✭✭✭✭phog

Doubts about the H/cup as we know it and now the league without a title sponsor, rugby is not looking too bright for the Celtic Regions :(

To be fair to RaboDirect they really riased the profile of the league, here's hoping whoever takes over the sponsorship takes the league to a new level again.

phog wrote: »
    Doubts about the H/cup as we know it and now the league without a title sponsor, rugby is not looking too bright for the Celtic Regions :(

To be fair to RaboDirect they really riased the profile of the league, here's hoping whoever takes over the sponsorship takes the league to a new level again.

Huh, they've months to negotiate a new title sponsor?

The Sky coverage is absolutely gold for Celtic Rugby, they'll have no problem getting a new sponsor.

Huh, they've months to negotiate a new title sponsor?

The Sky coverage is absolutely gold for Celtic Rugby, they'll have no problem getting a new sponsor.

We talk up the league because it's our bread and butter but what is it in reality, take Leinster, Munster and Ulster out of it and it's very average. What are the ticket sales for the Welsh, Scottish and Italian teams? Half empty stadiums. The Sky TV deal might increase viewers but it's not gold, not in it's current format anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Depending on what happens to the HEC things could get very interesting.

If HEC qualifications becomes merit based then the PRO12 league takes a step up in importance.

If the HEC dissolves and there is no replacement then the PRO12 takes a step up in importance.

You fell into the sponsor trap! Luckily I fixed it for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭OldRio

We talk up the league because it's our bread and butter but what is it in reality, take Leinster, Munster and Ulster out of it and it's very average. What are the ticket sales for the Welsh, Scottish and Italian teams? Half empty stadiums. The Sky TV deal might increase viewers but it's not gold, not in it's current format anyway.

Not to sure about that. At the moment it is free to air across these islands. Hiding it behind a pay wall will not help viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,308 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The 'wonga' league anyone??

:D

OldRio wrote: »
    Not to sure about that. At the moment it is free to air across these islands. Hiding it behind a pay wall will not help viewers.

One thing Sky do that most other broadcasters fail is hype, it's on that basis I said might increase viewers.

AFAIK, Rabo still have a year in their contract so are withdrawing a year early, no doubt the league will pick up a sponsor, the real question is what will the league get from the sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OldRio wrote: »

I don't know that making it FTA has increased viewership.

And also, most games will still be free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sky will increase viewership. It will open the league up to the UK market as well and sides like Leinster, Munster, Ulster and the Ospreys will generate interest. Remember there will now be more games shown live than there currently is and even if some of those are behind a pay wall the fact that its behind a pay wall that is very good at building hype and is doing so in front of a larger market will help.

It's actually probably the perfect time for a new sponsor to come on board. Changes to the HEC qualification may increase the competitiveness of the league (if done right), the Sky deal will open up an additional market and given the serious strides the league has made in the last few years it will have grown a good bit since Magners decision to pull out 3 years ago.

You can't know that Sky will increase viewership either.

If they don't like the way the ERC thing goes they may just decide to cut their losses, pretend rugby union doesn't exist, and stick it away in a corner on Sky Sports 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm putting my money on "Paddy Power Pro 12"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

You can't know that Sky will increase viewership either.

If they don't like the way the ERC thing goes they may just decide to cut their losses, pretend rugby union doesn't exist, and stick it away in a corner on Sky Sports 4.

If an Irish derby is shown on Sky,that derby will reach viewers outside Ireland for the first time but downside is that viewers in Ireland watching the game will be less than before as the derby will no longer be FTA.

One thing Sky do that most other broadcasters fail is hype, it's on that basis I said might increase viewers.

AFAIK, Rabo still have a year in their contract so are withdrawing a year early, no doubt the league will pick up a sponsor, the real question is what will the league get from the sponsorship.

It's still the Rabo Pro12 this year? Going by 'next season' I assume they mean 2014/15 no?
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/12633.php#.Uhj9UNLVCMU

It's still the Rabo Pro12 this year? Going by 'next season' I assume they mean 2014/15 no?
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/12633.php#.Uhj9UNLVCMU

Yes but I thought they originally signed for a 4 year deal, according to your lnk they are 2 years into the sponsorship deal and this season makes it their third, hence why I think they are pulling out with a year left in their contract.
    RaboDirect have sponsored the PRO12 for the last two seasons, in which time attendances have grown 4.3 per cent and last year broke the one million mark, hitting 1.2 million.

• Advertisement

Yeah they are pulling out of the deal a year before it ends. They're the Andrew Conways of sports sponsorship. So are Puma.

Advertisement