Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirect to pull out of PRO12 sponsorship

Options
  • 23-08-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Being reported in the Irish Times here; and by Michael Corcoran on Twitter. Not ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well that's a bit sh..!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

A bit sh1te but with the sky deal they may actually be lucky in getting something better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sigh...

Hopefully this works out to our benefit - the league must surely be worth more now than when Rabo signed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

BT Sport Pro12?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Crap. Big blow. The Sky package will hopefully ensure that someone steps in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Yeah they always struck me as a strange fit as a sponsor - they're only active in Ireland out of the 3 countries the league spans, Their product (savings plans) doesn't exactly correlate well with Sports/Leisure Activities, and lets be honest, the Branding was a mouthful, which led to people shortening it to Rabo/Rabo league/PRO12..

Still, looking for a 3 title sponsor in 6 years doesn't send out a good signal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Winters wrote: »
    BT Sport Pro12?

Actually wouldn't surprise me at all! I wonder if the two groups are already on the phone about it!

Dont see why they cant split the sponsorship like in the [INSERT SPONSOR NAME HERE] Rugby Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Lets say there's no one to replace Rabo until say November. What happens then? Play as normal or we wait?

Play as normal, surely! IIRC the old Celtic league didn't have a title sponsor for the first 3 years or so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's gas. Defo doesn't help with the 'image' of the league.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Lets say there's no one to replace Rabo until say November. What happens then? Play as normal or we wait?

Play as normal, it's only a sponsorship at the end of the day

It would be called the Pro12. Like the Top14 and the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It will be called the John Hayes Ligind League.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Unless they switch it back to Celtic League, considering that is the name of the company etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dont see why they cant split the sponsorship like in the [INSERT SPONSOR NAME HERE] Rugby Championship?

I don't think that would work as effectively here - the Rugby Championship/S15 have much more separated media markets.
    Unless they switch it back to Celtic League, considering that is the name of the company etc.

Would be stupid, and I don't think they will. Whatever about changing sponsor, constantly changing the name of the league would look terrible. I think they settled on Pro12 precisely so the name wouldn't change with sponsors.

The Celtic League plus some Italians has a nice ring to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hope they don't, aside from the Italian element, I like the sound of Pro12. Like the Top14, it's snappy and to the point.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think that would work as effectively here - the Rugby Championship/S15 have much more separated media markets.

Media markets are one thing, but from a sponsors point of view, most companies would set their Marketing Budgets on a country by country basis. Hence, I'd imagine it would be much easier to find 3/4 local sponsors than 1 cross-border one.

This is something that's potentially limiting the sponsorship value of the league - in the case of RaboDirect for example, the exposure to the UK/Italy was essentially worthless to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They've a year to find a new sponsor. With the Sky deal due to come into effect at the same time that the new sponsor takes over I'd imagine it would be a far more attractive option than it was 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

If this anti-alcohal sponsorship thing goes through thats likey to take out most of the drink companys. Bank of Ireland ? :P They already sponsor three teams in the league and there just isn't enough BoI logos on that new Leinster jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

molloyjh wrote: »
    They've a year to find a new sponsor. With the Sky deal due to come into effect at the same time that the new sponsor takes over I'd imagine it would be a far more attractive option than it was 2 years ago.

How does that SKy deal work again? They'll be showing a certain amount of games alongside terrestrial broadcasters is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

DGRulz wrote: »
    If this anti-alcohal sponsorship thing goes through thats likey to take out most of the drink companys. Bank of Ireland ? :P They already sponsor three teams in the league and there just isn't enough BoI logos on that new Leinster jersey.

Not necessarily. Any ban on alcohol advertising wouldn't affect Scotland, Wales, Italy or Ulster!. Any sponsorship would still be seen here on TV through pitch side advertising at away matches and through Sky and BBCs coverage.
    Whether the league would want to go that route is another question though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How does that SKy deal work again? They'll be showing a certain amount of games alongside terrestrial broadcasters is it?

Basically one match a week, with play offs and final I think it was.

AFAIK they have 30 games including the play offs, so 27 regular season games. They can only show one of each fixture, so if they show Munster V Leinster in Limerick the can't show the return game in Dublin. The terrestrials get to show the rest then after Sky pick.

The terrestrials get to show the rest then after Sky pick.

No Terrestrials have currently extended their deals though have they not? So currently at the moment SKY is the only TV provider on the table for the 2014 season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No Terrestrials have currently extended their deals though have they not? So currently at the moment SKY is the only TV provider on the table for the 2014 season

Well, Sky don't have a deal which means exclusivity. But more so, a Priority selection.

Just checked out the press release and this is the last line Celtic Rugby are still in negotiations with other broadcasters and will be announcing further agreements in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

This is only relevant to next season though right ? Sponsorship and TV rights are unchanged this season from last with RTE and TG4 splitting the Irish games ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bad news of course, but its a pity when a league becomes known by its sponsors, Ive always been concious of using Pro12 rather than 'the Rabo'

However I dont think itll be too difficult getting a big sponsor. I read the other day that Investec bank are planning to come into Ireland and undercut the zombie banks variable rates, so theyll be looking for a big vehicle, and as they are already big in UK rugby sponsorship they should be one of the ones tapped up

Otherwise maybe NAMA would like to invest.......

Advertisement