Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: Round 11 - Belgian Grand Prix

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

recyclebin wrote: »
    Just sitting in the car park at spa. Not a great race to watch. Qualifying was more exciting. I was hoping for rain but it never came. I was sitting watching the race on the kemmel straight so got to see the effect of DRS first hand. I think it ruins the race as a spectacle. There was lots of overtaking right down through the field that you probably don't get to see on TV. The DRS makes it too easy to overtake and makes the racing very artificial.

I'd argue the opposite, DRS is a technology that exists, therefore not allowing it at all times is artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Had high hopes for a decent race, but it was fairly meh, there is always 2014.

Good that Alonso has a decent car under him again this year, a few races at sea for Ferrari, he needs a bucket of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

GarIT wrote: »
    I'd argue the opposite, DRS is a technology that exists, therefore not allowing it at all times is artificial.

Totally agree. The way the rules only allow the car behind use it makes it very artificial. The DRS concept itself works, the rules don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

What a moment and save from Alonso at the top of Eau Rouge yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

recyclebin wrote: »
    Totally agree. The way the rules only allow the car behind use it makes it very artificial. The DRS concept itself works, the rules don't.

Allowing it to be used by any car anywhere, completely negates the point of DRS though. I do see where you are coming from, in that restrictions on its use bring in an artificial nature to it, but without such restrictions, there's actually no point in having it.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Allowing it to be used by any car anywhere, completely negates the point of DRS though. I do see where you are coming from, in that restrictions on its use bring in an artificial nature to it, but without such restrictions, there's actually no point in having it.

It saves time though something like 2-3 seonds a lap vs not using it at all.

It saves time though something like 2-3 seonds a lap vs not using it at all.

There's two problems with that though:

It would be detrimental to safety to have drivers pushing the limits of when & where to use it, with downforce coming off the rear tires on bends & drivers pushing their luck to find that extra 1/10th, it'd be a disaster waiting to happen. Sure they allowed it like this in FP sessions last year, but FP isn't Quali or a race.

Its raison d'etre isn't to be a go faster technology, it's an overtaking aid. KERS is the go-faster button, DRS is sold as a way to stall the rear wing, which gives a gain of a few extra kmph to be able to pass a car. It's not meant to be used to be an overall go faster tech

There's two problems with that though:

It would be detrimental to safety to have drivers pushing the limits of when & where to use it, with downforce coming off the rear tires on bends & drivers pushing their luck to find that extra 1/10th, it'd be a disaster waiting to happen. Sure they allowed it like this in FP sessions last year, but FP isn't Quali or a race.

Its raison d'etre isn't to be a go faster technology, it's an overtaking aid. KERS is the go-faster button, DRS is sold as a way to stall the rear wing, which gives a gain of a few extra kmph to be able to pass a car. It's not meant to be used to be an overall go faster tech

The only think I can really agree with there is safety. In reality that probably would be a concern. But last year DRS was used in quali anywhere and there weren't any serious problems. But maybe it was an accident waiting to happen with Rosberg opening his DRS on the apex of the last corner to get pole in China.

I don't think the tech was designed for overtaking, they just used to to go faster in straight lines, which quickly turned into being used for overtaking.

Another thing that annoys me about F1 is KERS. Last year McLaren KERS provided 70hp for x amount of time while Red Bull KERS provided 40-45hp for much longer than McLarens lasted, however they were only allowed use it for a set time. You should be allowed use as much energy as you can store rather than a set amount.

The only think I can really agree with there is safety. In reality that probably would be a concern. But last year DRS was used in quali anywhere and there weren't any serious problems. But maybe it was an accident waiting to happen with Rosberg opening his DRS on the apex of the last corner to get pole in China.

I think I remember Brundle mentioning last year, that the drivers themselves were calling for DRS restrictions in Quali, safety being the concern. People were having to push & push to maintain position & it was getting out of hand.
    I don't think the tech was designed for overtaking, they just used to to go faster in straight lines, which quickly turned into being used for overtaking.

You're right actually, DRS is an evolution of the F-Duct system that McLaren came out with. I guess no matter what though, restrictions are there primarily for safety reasons. Plus again, if both cars are using it, the advantage is largely nullified so to be an effective overtaking aid, there really has to be restrictions.
    Another thing that annoys me about F1 is KERS. Last year McLaren KERS provided 70hp for x amount of time while Red Bull KERS provided 40-45hp for much longer than McLarens lasted, however they were only allowed use it for a set time. You should be allowed use as much energy as you can store rather than a set amount.

I didn't actually know that, interesting. I suppose maybe the reasoning behind it is to keep costs down for the smaller teams so they don't have to develop complicated storage systems, & everybody is in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It was cropped out of the broadcast, but here's greenpeace acting dickish again....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e3_1377556857

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

You got to hand it to them though, it was a very clever little design. Maybe they could work with Mclaren and find them a bit of pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

It was cropped out of the broadcast, but here's greenpeace acting dickish again....

They didn't intefere or disrupt the race, or indeed, risk the safety of the drivers and spectators with a stupid stunt.

They can do what they like after that, afaic.

I'm kinda surprised two unauthorized devices like that went unseen until they were deployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I'm kinda surprised two unauthorized devices like that went unseen until they were deployed.

Indeed - could well have been more destructive types of unauthorized devices. Clever all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

DRS was designed by the Overtaking Working Group purely to aid overtaking. That's why it's use is limited to 7 seconds per lap and certain parts of the circuit. It's not something the teams just came up with, it would have been against the "no moveable aerodynamic devices" rule.

It's there to negate the disadvantage to the following car created by the turbulent airflow from the car in front.

sbEdge wrote: »
    DRS was designed by the Overtaking Working Group purely to aid overtaking. That's why it's use is limited to 7 seconds per lap and certain parts of the circuit. It's not something the teams just came up with, it would have been against the "no moveable aerodynamic devices" rule.

It's there to negate the disadvantage to the following car created by the turbulent airflow from the car in front.

The same technology was used on early aeroplanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Did anyone else here Hamilton after the race taking to Vettle before the podium. He said he had left Alonso by at the hairpin to try get him with DRS down the next straight. Hamilton did miss the apex by quite a bit when alonso got passed, but still couldnt catch him down the straight even with DRS. Clever move i thought, although it did backfire as he just gave the place away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

hi folks ,
    if your quick theres 2 free tickets to see RUSH next tuesday at odeon coolock.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/free-tickets-movie-rush-3rd-sep-1641600

Directed by Academy-Award® winner Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind), written by fellow Academy-Award® nominee Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon), and starring Chris Hemsworth (The Avengers), Daniel Brühl (Inglourious Basterds), RUSH is the fast-paced, action-packed and exhilarating true story of two of the greatest rivals the sport has ever witnessed – James Hunt (Hemsworth) versus Niki Lauda (Brühl) and their illustrious Formula 1 racing teams, McLaren versus Ferrari.

just got two myself , cant wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It wasn't dickish at all. They were protesting against Shell, the main sponsors of the Belgian Grand Prix (and a company with some very dodgy practices), not against Formula One itself. Their protest was entirely valid and very well orchestrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Still working through the weekend's coverage for Speedhunters, but have a few shots from the GP I can share...

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-40.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-26.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-28.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-24.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-14.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-7.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-5.jpg

2013-Shell-Belgian-GP-Spa-F1-PMcG-Thursday-Friday-4.jpg

These are just from FP1 & FP2, should be more on Speedhunters later!

• Advertisement
Advertisement