Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith Healers in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Knasher wrote: »
    I have my doubts about people who offer it for free. I'd imagine almost all their customers approach them with a bit of scepticism, often with a condition that medicine didn't deal with too successfully, and on the recommendation of a friend who says they do wonders. The free treatment is just to get people in the door. If you leave feeling exactly the same, then you don't feel ripped off and the practitioners relationship with the person who referred you isn't going to be damaged. If you leave and feel better, then you are a walking advertisement, and you will probably be willing to start paying for further visits if you need them. And if you have an intermittent chronic condition, like a friend of mine, then they have you on the hook for the rest of your life.

It's a lot like a company giving out free samples in a supermarket. They aren't doing it just to be nice, they are hoping that once they start charging, you will be willing to pay for a product you've already tried and hopefully liked.

To clarify, I meant those who offer their help for free - 100% of the time and always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

To clarify, I meant those who offer their help for free - 100% of the time and always.

Also, the altruism may be genuine, but there is the danger that the person will start to believe that the healer is healing them, and not seek actual proper medical treatment that may actually cure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

blacklilly wrote: »
    When I was 15 I had a skin disorder and none of the drugs/sterioids prescribed to me by any doctor worked. My juinor cert was coming up and I literally could not open my hands because of this skin disorder (therefore I couldn't write).
    Sounds like stress to me. Modern medicine has a problem dealing with that kind of stress because it often can't deal with the source of the stress it can just put bandaids on it in the form of antibiotics or antidepressants. I think "alternative" medicines, can give the stressed person the personal care they require to feel better. Human contact and being cared for by someone can have a huge effect on health and I think it's the close contact with another person that has the health benefits. In the same way a monkey can become depressed and ill by being shunned by the troop but in good health if he's being groomed by his troop, I think some humans need that "grooming" procedure to help them feel better.
    daheff wrote: »
    So in we went into his gaff. He took one look at me, asked me to put out one of my arms with the palm of hand facing down. Pushed down lightly on the arm a bit. did something else, then asked me to put same arm out, but palm facing up. Then he did his pushing down on the arm again, but this time all the way until my arm reached my side.
    You see these guys at shows like the "ideal homes". They have loads of these tricks for selling those mood rings and magnetic bracelets. It's all a build up to selling you some sort of magnetic trinket that will cure you.
    I believe there is some evidence that faith (i.e. believing in something, some god or even believing that you will/must do something (e.g. stay alive to see your daughter walk down the aisle)) can influence the wellbeing of a sick person. I have no idea where the evidence for this is but have seen it reported in the press.
    Meditation works. But it's a form of controlling your bodies processes. Prayer works for those that believe it because it keeps them claim. It doesn't affect the world outside your head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I have heard of loads of people who have a charm for various ailments. I'm not sure if they fall into same bracket as faith healers but have loads of stories from various sources about how person x charm for sprains, spots etc worked.

I even had a family member who had a "charm" for stopping bleeding. Nose bleeds mostly but also bleeding in livestock.

The sprains one i have heard quite a few who had to be carried in with sprained ankles but who were able to walk out themselves.

I'm not a believer in these things btw but its interesting to hear some of the stories nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Has anyone ever had experience of one? Are they all con men/women or is there strong evidence that they can cure ailments?

Brother Love is my favourite.

He can solve and cure anyones problems

"I love youuuuuuu"

Advertisement