Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Shower - is this a good idea for a present?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I think it depends on the family's situation. If its going to be a struggle for them financially then practical presents would probably be best, if they're going to easily provide all of the basics themselves then luxuries are nicer.

With her partner only working at temporary positions and her working part time, money will really be tight, so I think the more practical the better.

I included a lovely cocoa butter and nice pjs for the hospital as well as a girly DVD for her and her other little one to watch - it's important that these two ladies weren't forgotten about either!!!

I actually found some great practical bargains too, whilst out shopping last night, just in case mammy's out there want to know!!

2x Pampers 45 packs for 15.00 (cheaper than than the jumbo 84 pack boxes and you get more :)) - Tesco

The cutest baby pink winter jacket I have ever seen for a baby - 12.00 - Penneys

6 x 260 (9 ounce) feeding bottles on sale in Mothercare for 17.30

Overall I'm quite happy with what I got (just have to buy that lovely thoughtful notebook one lady on here mentioned).

I'll post up a pic later on for all to see (if you're at all interested :P)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

be warey of clothes by 1st and 3rd were in 9-12 month clothes at 4 months.
    I like the hamper idea but would not put in nappy creams as we never used vaseline,found bephanten useless and I would stay clear of all johnsons products for a new baby.
    feeding spoons,baby potz,pjs and slippers for hospital all are all really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Moonbeam wrote: »
    be warey of clothes by 1st and 3rd were in 9-12 month clothes at 4 months.
    I like the hamper idea but would not put in nappy creams as we never used vaseline,found bephanten useless and I would stay clear of all johnsons products for a new baby.
    feeding spoons,baby potz,pjs and slippers for hospital all are all really useful.

I have included a variety of sizes so that she is not left short (and I surely will be spoiling the baby after it's born also!)

I steered clear of nappy creams etc, but included vaseline as she mentioned before that was the only thing she used on her first daughter.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The braun thermometer is ideal. We bought a couple of ordinary thermometers but simply couldnt get an accurate reading.

The other thing that I could suggest is a good infant first aid course for the parents - especially if they are first time parents if you have a bit of money to spend. Knowing how to react in urgent situations with a baby and toddler could make all the difference in the outcome of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

I would definitely recommend the thermometer idea, when my sister had her baby she was over run with clothes and blankets and baby powders etc, but still had to rush out and buy a thermometer a couple of days after she came home from hospital :)

Also, not to put the mockers on your sis-in-law, so to speak, but maybe throw in some neutral baby stuff just to be safe. A friend of mine had a baby shower for the baby girl they were expecting all along, only for a bouncing baby boy to come along in the end!! Everything she had from the baby shower was ultra pink and girly, so everyone ended up buying more boy stuff when he was born anyway :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement