Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Shower - is this a good idea for a present?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Could really do with some advice from any mothers out there!!!

I've a baby shower to go to on Saturday for my sister in law, so I wanted to make it good, what do you guys think?

She's having a girl (just fyi!!)

One/Two nicely decorated boxes for 'Baby's first year' with pics of her scan and her and her other daughter on it.

Inside it/them I was going to put an array of baby girl clothes from 0-3 months to 1 year, an array of nappy sizes, bottles, baby formula (she's not planning on breast feeding afaik), cotton buds, blankies, little teddys, rattles, teething rings, baby's first year book.

Also one or two things for herself like pjs, books etc.

Would any mothers on here be happy to receive something like this?

Is there anything I'm leaving out?

Oh and where would be the best place to get these items (price wise etc.)

Thank you for all the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Could really do with some advice from any mothers out there!!!

I've a baby shower to go to on Saturday for my sister in law, so I wanted to make it good, what do you guys think?

She's having a girl (just fyi!!)

One/Two nicely decorated boxes for 'Baby's first year' with pics of her scan and her and her other daughter on it.

Inside it/them I was going to put an array of baby girl clothes from 0-3 months to 1 year, an array of nappy sizes, bottles, baby formula (she's not planning on breast feeding afaik), cotton buds, blankies, little teddys, rattles, teething rings, baby's first year book.

Also one or two things for herself like pjs, books etc.

Would any mothers on here be happy to receive something like this?

Is there anything I'm leaving out?

Oh and where would be the best place to get these items (price wise etc.)

Thank you for all the help

Do you know what stuff she already has? If she already has a daughter chances are you'll be doubling up. She almost certainly has bottles and baby toys. Also she might want to choose her own brand of formula, and possibly nappies.

That sounds like a massive expense for a single present- are you going in with all the people at the shower or is it just from you?

The box idea sounds lovely and thoughtful. A really good gift IMO is cloths/muslins- you can never have enough cloths. Also socks and sun/winter hats. Tbh the best gift you can give a new mother is time- bring a meal, hold the baby while she has a shower, do the dishes, take her older child out for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

I think its a bit much for a shower.

What I do is make up a nappy cake using you tube then put socks and soothers into it.

I make chicken curry lasagne and shepherds pies but them into tinfoil boxes so she can put them in freezer for when baby comes

Also I would bring the older child a small gift.

When the baby is born I go to my local hardware store and buy a rubber basket. I then go to Tesco dunnes boots sam mc cauley and local chemists as they all will have different things on offer.

In my basket I put
    2 by 300 cotton balls
    Vaseline
    Sudocream
    Bepanthen
    baby shampoo
    Bath form
    Check what brand the mam will be using
    Fairy non bio washing powder
    Baby wipes
    Nappy bags
    Baby Powder

This gift goes down a treat with the 40 or so couples I have given them if you have a few friends having babies at a time you can buy the stuff over a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Do you know what stuff she already has? If she already has a daughter chances are you'll be doubling up. She almost certainly has bottles and baby toys. Also she might want to choose her own brand of formula, and possibly nappies.

That sounds like a massive expense for a single present- are you going in with all the people at the shower or is it just from you?

The box idea sounds lovely and thoughtful. A really good gift IMO is cloths/muslins- you can never have enough cloths. Also socks and sun/winter hats. Tbh the best gift you can give a new mother is time- bring a meal, hold the baby while she has a shower, do the dishes, take her older child out for a few hours.

She has pretty much nothing apart from the basics of a pram, child seat etc as her other daughter is 9 on Monday and she didn't keep anything (born right at the boom of the Celtic Tiger - everything was disposible!)And now with her only working part time and a second child on the way, money is pretty tight, so she needs all the help she can get.

The present is from myself and her brother (my partner) and needless to say it's a minor expense compared to what he wanted to get her. Her mother has been getting ideas from her and feeding them back to me :P so I have a fair idea on what kind of brands she needs as regards nappies etc.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have a look at cloths/muslin and minding my new little niece will be a given once she's here with us - that's the part I can't wait for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A lot of the creams etc won't be used. I've just cleared out our baby drawer for a new arrival and chucked out a load of sudocream, infacol, wipes and assorted lotions and potions. We ended up using cloth nappies and wipes so a lot of the stuff people thought would be useful went to waste or was passed on. We got oodles of outfits/babygros that just weren't suitable. I've told people this time not to bother (nicely!) when they asked if we needed anything.

I'd appreciate a voucher (as generous as you want to be) for somewhere like Next/Mothercare/Mamas and Papas so I could buy clothes/toys for the baby I know we'd use. I'd also go down the meal route - nothing better than not having to worry about getting a nutritious dinner together. I'm not sold on babysitting offers, with a tiny baby you don't really want to leave them with anyone. A few small teddies/sophie the giraffe/teething rings in a really nice box is all I'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Way too much stuff there. Does she have a list? Those shower things often do. She might need a microwave steriliser.

A voucher for some nice boutique baby clothes shop would be nice.

Buying baby clothes is a bit hazardous. My collegue had an 11 pound baby last week, she is already too big for any of the clothes she was given as presents. They jsut live in babygros for the first while anyway. Don't get anything smaller than 3months.

Books are nice, some board books for the baby maybe?

Does she have the babies room decorated? Removable wall stickers are a very easy way of decorating a room for babies.

http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/insomnia-re-stik
    http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/cloud-re-stik

I wouldn't bother with the box of creams and powders either. Kids can react to loads of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The cost of what you've suggested is at least 100€ even if you shopped in Penneys. What you might be better off doing is buying her one big thing - like a steriliser, or a voucher for a steriliser, etc for Mothercare, etc, and then to put a small teddy or outfit (I loved the 3 set baby grows from next) with it.

Plus a toy for older child and night dress for the mama.

Actually nice dressing gown and slippers for hospital would be a good gift, and makes mammy happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The Braun ear thermometer is a great present that she will use for yrs. cost approx €60.

The hamper is a fab idea but as others said I would not go too over board. You can't buy everything.
    In hamper I would put bepanthen cream, water wipes , muslin clothes, bibs, nappies, a few packs of baby gro s and vests from dunnes or tesco, hats, elave or similar bsby wash and moistouriser (not johnsons imho) maybe a girlie DVD for older daughter and mom to watch, bottle wine, and a picture frame saying 'my family' or something like that.

She will get presents from others generally outfits so for me vests and baby gro in any size are a real winner

Also gro bags are a great present

But don't go too overboard you can fleas buy more later as she know better what she wants

You're great for being so thoughtful by the way :)

Believe me I would love to not be spending this much money and would much rather a simple gift now and spoil the baby when it's born (but partner wants to spoil the child now- second niece - first in nine years) and it's a surprise baby shower, so I can't even ask her what she wants which is the most frustrating part - I have to rely on hints from the mother in law!!

I'll try showing him all your feedback here - hopefully it will work and bring us back to planet earth!!

If your partner wants all this stuff, let him get it!

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    The Braun ear thermometer is a great present that she will use for yrs. cost approx €60.

The hamper is a fab idea but as others said I would not go too over board. You can't buy everything.
    In hamper I would put bepanthen cream, water wipes , muslin clothes, bibs, nappies, a few packs of baby gro s and vests from dunnes or tesco, hats, elave or similar bsby wash and moistouriser (not johnsons imho) maybe a girlie DVD for older daughter and mom to watch, bottle wine, and a picture frame saying 'my family' or something like that.

She will get presents from others generally outfits so for me vests and baby gro in any size are a real winner

Also gro bags are a great present

But don't go too overboard you can fleas buy more later as she know better what she wants

You're great for being so thoughtful by the way :)

Great ideas for the hamper - I especially like the girlie DVD - I know that's something she'd really appreciate!

Thank you for saying so! Though it'll be his money used for the present as he's being so bloody stubborn about it!!!

lazygal wrote: »
    If your partner wants all this stuff, let him get it!

Oh he will be paying for it all!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I like your idea...I would have loved a box like that! Though for the baby gros...for the amount you were going to get...divide in half and get some 0-3 month and some 3-6...no one gets 3-6 months its all early stuff!

its a really thoughtful thing to do for your sis in law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I got a load of creams and talcs etc and haven't use them (six months later!!). Boards books are great esp the touchy ones, grobags goo too - especially the car seat ones but check the season versus age.

Wipes always good as are nappies. Muslin squares and bibs with a tab back (not tie or Velcro) I found best.

Mmm just be mindful of the season versus the age - I got two snow suits for the summer season and this haven't been worn.

A gift for the 9 year old would be lovely.

Oh I would have loved a pretty notebook for the hospital - to keep times of feeds etc written down.

Also a jellycat comforter, my babba loves there one - I am buying a second of the same one next week for when the original one is in the wash.

Enjoy the shower 😄

I like your idea...I would have loved a box like that! Though for the baby gros...for the amount you were going to get...divide in half and get some 0-3 month and some 3-6...no one gets 3-6 months its all early stuff!

its a really thoughtful thing to do for your sis in law

Thanks :). Oh that's a good idea, thanks for letting me know I'll stock up on 3-6 months she'll be delighted :)

bp wrote: »
    I got a load of creams and talcs etc and haven't use them (six months later!!). Boards books are great esp the touchy ones, grobags goo too - especially the car seat ones but check the season versus age.

Wipes always good as are nappies. Muslin squares and bibs with a tab back (not tie or Velcro) I found best.

Mmm just be mindful of the season versus the age - I got two snow suits for the summer season and this haven't been worn.

A gift for the 9 year old would be lovely.

Oh I would have loved a pretty notebook for the hospital - to keep times of feeds etc written down.

Also a jellycat comforter, my babba loves there one - I am buying a second of the same one next week for when the original one is in the wash.

Enjoy the shower 😄

Definitely will be checking on seasonal stuff as she's due end of October/November so I'll be stocking up on warm winter woolies as oppose to little summer dresses.

Thanks for the tip about the bibs - where would I get these?

Yeah the older girl is 1D mad (Niall Horan in particular!!!) so I was going to get her a 1D pencil case set I saw and a 1D t-shirt (that she doesn't have already!!)

Aw I would never have thought of the notebook - she'd really love that. I'd say easons would have nice ones :).

What are jellycat comforters? (sorry out of the loop :P) and where would I get one?

Many thanks for all your lovely advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Mothercare defo do the tab bibs! Jellycat is a range of soft toys for newborn up and they are so soft! Arnotts defo have them and they have a store in dundrum! Website is fab!

She will love 1D stuff 😄 and yep Easons do lovely notebooks - I tried dropping hints at home when I was preggers but no joy!!!

bp wrote: »
    Mothercare defo do the tab bibs! Jellycat is a range of soft toys for newborn up and they are so soft! Arnotts defo have them and they have a store in dundrum! Website is fab!

She will love 1D stuff 😄 and yep Easons do lovely notebooks - I tried dropping hints at home when I was preggers but no joy!!!

Oh great, I'll have a look in there this evening :). Aw they sound lovely I may have a look at them, just as a little extra (my mum is making her lovely blankets out of special wool for when the baby comes) thanks for the tip :).

Awww that's a shame! - Maybe next time :P. I'll be sure to pick one up for her, it really is something nobody would think of!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

When did babyshower's become an Irish thing? :confused:

xzanti wrote: »

I don't know :-( i think they're slowly making their way over here though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I don't know :-( i think they're slowly making their way over here though....

Yep, had to go to one a few months ago, the other guests were commenting that they found it very difficult to find a baby shower card. Because nobody ever had baby showers here before! I don't get it, if you give a gift at the shower are you still expected to give one when the baby is born, and again if there's a christening??

I don't like the baby shower thing. I prefer to give a gift after the child has arrived for many reasons. I abhor gift lists and overplanned things like baby showers. Being honest I'd be looking for a reason to get out of going, unless it was a very close friend or sibling. People have gone stone mad with 'celebrations' the last few years, between weddings having day after events, first birthday parties and christenings being full on functions and now this baby shower thing. I could rant more but I think I'll stop.

Oh and anyone who's cheeky enough to organise or demand someone else host a baby shower which I attended wouldn't be getting another gift when she popped the sprog or for a christening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't like the baby shower thing. I prefer to give a gift after the child has arrived for many reasons. I abhor gift lists and overplanned things like baby showers. Being honest I'd be looking for a reason to get out of going, unless it was a very close friend or sibling. People have gone stone mad with 'celebrations' the last few years, between weddings having day after events, first birthday parties and christenings being full on functions and now this baby shower thing. I could rant more but I think I'll stop.

Oh and anyone who's cheeky enough to organise or demand someone else host a baby shower which I attended wouldn't be getting another gift when she popped the sprog or for a christening.

...I have some friends who have pretty much demanded two baby showers be organised for them, for different groups of friends/family.

...I have some friends who have pretty much demanded two baby showers be organised for them, for different groups of friends/family.

Cheeky wagons. That's up there with brides who insist on full on weekends away for hen 'parties' and couples who get married abroad and complain when people can't afford to go. Both of which I've had to deal with recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

xzanti wrote: »

I was completely blindsided by my suprise babyshower as I had never heard of anyone having one before, I thought it was just an American thing.
    OH got me out of the house by booking the cinema while my sister & his sister decorated my house & set up the food. The pics of me walking in the door are priceless.
    Was a great night in the end but I have to say I found it a bit embarassing getting more presents when the baby was born as everyone had been so generous at the shower!!

This girl would never ask for this, a friend of hers wants to host one as a surprise and as she's my sister in law to be so I have to go, I dont mind that much though because she's the type that would appreciate anything we get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

This girl would never ask for this, a friend of hers wants to host one as a surprise and as she's my sister in law to be so I have to go, I dont mind that much though because she's the type that would appreciate anything we get

I was thrown a surprise shower by my family and friends, would never have dreamed of asking for one but thoroughly enjoyed it. As a previous poster said I was overwhelmed by the generosity of people and a bit embarressed given more came when baba arrived!

Anyway! This is the best pressie I got....can only find it online but my friend said she picked it up for a fiver in smyths. I would be lost without it, if your sis in law is anyway into getting out and about it's brilliant!

http://tonykealys.com/prams-pushchairs/pushchair-accessories/diono-buggy-buddytm.html

Ps she is lucky to have you :)

I never really experienced one til I moved to NZ. The way that my friends do them here is not like the American way at all- it's more for the mother than the baby and its almost like people pledging their support for the family- it takes a villiage to raise a child and all that.

Usually there is some kind of collaborative gift like a knitted blanket made up of squares, or a mobile (my friends here tend to be crafty). Other gifts are usually limited to people passing on their own baby gear, and something small for the mother like a candle or a lip balm or something for the bath- no one spends much money. People also give cards with a poem or inspirational words for labour and birth. Sometmes the mother-to-be is given a pedicure and/or a massage. Everyone brings food to share for afternoon tea. There's usually some singing, and we do a thing where you wrap a piece of string around the wrist of each person present, then someone says a few words about how the string represents the umbilical chord, connecting the baby to the world and when we look at it we send our good thoughts and intentions for the baby and the birth, then you cut the string between each person and you're left with a little string bracelet that you keep on until the baby is born (ok, my friends are total hippies). People sit around, have tea and cake and share birth and baby stories. It's really lovely, but it really depends on everyone being like minded. We had a shower for my SIL back in Ireland with my MIL, SsIL, a few aunties and friends who didn't really know each other and there was no way that I could pull that kind of thing off- it would have been awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Debated whether to even reply because it seems like I am the only one who feels like this...but. here goes for a different opinion.

I really really don't like practical presents like nappies, sudocreams, bibs. I think presents should be luxuries not essentials you'd buy yourself. So here is what I would like: pretty dressing gown, memory box as mentioned, hand cream for mother to be, babysitting voucher, cute snowsuit, clothes for baby, baby handprint kit, portrait photography voucher.

Now a few people mentioned you don't need any clothes for babies, apart from babygros. Personally I dressed my babies in clothes every day not in babygros. Think it was part of my determination to get up and get ready for the day. I never stayed in my pjs and babies were dressed too. Just the way I did it.

A voucher for professional portrait photographer was the best gift we got. It can be expensive but so lovely to look back at those fantastic photos later. And not something we would have bought ourselves.

• Advertisement

Pugins wrote: »
    I really really don't like practical presents like nappies, sudocreams, bibs. I think presents should be luxuries not essentials you'd buy yourself.

I think it depends on the family's situation. If its going to be a struggle for them financially then practical presents would probably be best, if they're going to easily provide all of the basics themselves then luxuries are nicer.

I do think that its easy to spend a lot of money on stuff that they won't ever use, so in some ways a voucher is good. I just noticed lots of people mentioning sudocream, soothers or bibs- I never used any of these with my babies (only bibs after they started solids in which case the new baby size bibs are useless). Everyone is different obviously but it would be a shame to spend your time and effort on things that are only going to go to waste/get passed on. A voucher for a pregnancy massage is a lovely gift too.

Advertisement