Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 46a

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

lxflyer wrote: »
    Completely different routes and garages.

63 is Donnybrook 1 and 75 is Donnybrook 2.
    ive found 75 tickets on the 63 issused on the same day and since were there two garages in donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A 63 driver may have taken a 75 bus in error at Dun Laoghaire.

But as I said above, the two routes are operated by completely different pools of drivers from Donnybrook 1 and Donnybrook 2 depots, and on completely separate driver/bus boards.

Karsini wrote: »
    Is the 46A shared between Donnybrook and Phibsboro? I thought I saw some Phibsboro VTs on the 46A at times.

The 46a and 47 operate from Donnybrook 2.

There may be "Euro" duties from other depots that may also support it from time to time as part of their rosters.

A 63 driver may have taken a 75 bus in error at Dun Laoghaire.

But as I said above, the two routes are operated by completely different pools of drivers from Donnybrook 1 and Donnybrook 2 depots, and on completely separate driver/bus boards.
    yea i get what you mean maybe there was a shortage of drivers or buses or as you said above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Are the 05 VTs de-restricted from the 46A? VT13 used to be the only one that could display the 145 and nothing else, now you can see a few.

With the amount of GTs on the 46A recently and 07 VTs on the 145, are the 05s to finally move off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

In addition to the list of routes above, there are other routes which have euro duties built into their schedule. Routes like the 37, 38, 39, 41, 43 have parts of their timetable operated by Harristown. Some of the 25s and 66s have peak time departures run by Broadstone.

The 33X is operated by three depots - Summerhill, Broadstone and Harristown.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

KD345 wrote: »
    In addition to the list of routes above, there are other routes which have euro duties built into their schedule. Routes like the 37, 38, 39, 41, 43 have parts of their timetable operated by Harristown. Some of the 25s and 66s have peak time departures run by Broadstone.

Please explain the term `euro duties`.

Euro duties = additional duties that operate in the morning and evening peaks - a 12 hour spreadover duty (i.e. duty lasts 12 hours but has a long break in the middle).

They can operate a mix of routes as part of the duty, and can supplement routes operated from other depots.

i thought broadstone was only BE

There are two Dublin Bus depots at Phibsboro - Phibsboro 1 and Phibsboro 2. The latter is based in Broadstone.

• Advertisement

There are two Dublin Bus depots at Phibsboro - Phibsboro 1 and Phibsboro 2. The latter is based in Broadstone.

My Father worked in Phibsboro as a driver. He started on the Number 10, then went to the 22`s and then the 34`s. There was only one Phibsboro back in his day and the routes mentioned above are no more.

What garage did KD 345 work out of?

S Barrett wrote: »
    My Father worked in Phibsboro as a driver. He started on the Number 10, then went to the 22`s and then the 34`s. There was only one Phibsboro back in his day and the routes mentioned above are no more.

The second Phibsboro depot opened in 1999 with the large expansion of the fleet.

I thought that was the reason they opened Harristown. Is Harristown the biggest garage at the moment?

S Barrett wrote: »
    I thought that was the reason they opened Harristown. Is Harristown the biggest garage at the moment?

How many questions do you have?? ;-)

I need a rest - every answer seems to lead to another question!!!

They were both needed.

Donnybrook is the largest depot.

How many questions do you have?? ;-)

I need a rest - every answer seems to lead to another question!!!

They were both needed.

Donnybrook is the largest depot.

I will stop now, for a while. Thank you for your prompt answers.

Would donnybrook be the flagship garage

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Would donnybrook be the flagship garage

I suspect the answer to that would depend on who you asked!

To me it will always be the flagship garage, not sure the company has favourites though.

The company does seem to have favoured routes however.

For a long time from the 60s to the 80s, route 19/19A were the "special baby" of the company:

* first trial of new blue & cream livery, 1961

* first route to get new modern doored buses (Atlanteans) in 1966

* first route to have an allover advertising bus (Spike) mid 70s

* the trial route for AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) computer monitoring providing real-time display (to the controllers - not the public) of bus locations along the route, 1975, featured on BBC "Tomorrow's World" as a world-leading modern bus control system (1975)

Then sometime in the 1990s, the 19s lost their favoured status, and the 46A became the new golden child :)

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Conway635 wrote: »

* the trial route for AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) computer monitoring providing real-time display (to the controllers - not the public) of bus locations along the route, 1975, featured on BBC "Tomorrow's World" as a world-leading modern bus control system (1975)

C635

For anybody who is interested in that era and the ability of CIE to innovate and do stuff for itself,it is worth noting that one of the last (If not THE last) parts of the original AVM (Automatic Vehicle Monitoring) system's constituent parts sits un-noticed on a lamp standard soon to be removed altogether.

The Street Lighting along the Cookstown Lane from the Belgard Inn up to Fettercairn is being replaced and new standards are now in place....yet there,sitting on the last pole before the Belgard Road junction (Inbound) is an SBD reciever.

SBD (Selective Bus Detection) was one of the spin-off elements of the AVM system and was designed to adjuct the Traffic Signal Phasing to favour Buses running late OR to delay Buses running ahead of time.

Dublin Fire Brigade and CIE equipped some of their fleets with the transponder units which communicated with the Lamp Standard mounted reciever...sadly after the initial and (AFAIK) successful trials,the AVM system was retired in favour of a digital upgrade,which was then itself delayed due to recession/lack of funding.....ah the passage of time and the learning of lessons ....:D

This long surviving evidence may well be already gone,as the pole concerned is not redundant so get there quick !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Conway635 wrote: »
    Then sometime in the 1990s, the 19s lost their favoured status, and the 46A became the new golden child :)

C635

Would it have been around the time Cityswift came in? The 39s were the first to get that weren't they?

I always still treated the 19A as one of the big routes, in the way I don't see the 9 as now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

stehyl15 wrote: »
    The 33 is the longest route in dublin no questions needed to be asked

It falls short of the 65 to Ballyknockan by about 3km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The 26 would have a lower usage off-peak, but acts as a sweeper service along the Lucan QBC in the peak periods.

Dublin Bus themselves disagree with your assertion that Route 26 fulfils a role as a 'sweeper'. It's currently a waste of resources. Seeing a tri-axle VT sometimes operating the route carrying fresh air is just ridiculous.

See page 7 of this Dublin Bus draft submission to the NTA as part of a public service contract application:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/March_2013_Dublin_Bus__REDACTED.pdf

I'm not sure where there is a contradiction to what I said. The document sees the buses as continuing to operate on the N4.

The 26 is inter-worked with the 66 group and hence you will see larger buses at certain times.

The "sweeper" role is effectively what the 26 has always played, and that's what it was designed for in Network Direct.

If DB decide that it's no longer necessary subsequent to that then so be it. But that was the rationale for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Route 26 should be done away with ASAP, I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 or 4 people on board that bus. Even people living in Palmerstown prefer to get the 25a and 25b as they take a faster route into town and are more frequent. The 25, 66 and 67 groups could all do with a few more buses instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Dublin Bus themselves disagree with your assertion that Route 26 fulfils a role as a 'sweeper'. It's currently a waste of resources. Seeing a tri-axle VT sometimes operating the route carrying fresh air is just ridiculous.

See page 7 of this Dublin Bus draft submission to the NTA as part of a public service contract application:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/March_2013_Dublin_Bus__REDACTED.pdf

You shouldn't VT buses are not supposed to operate on the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

cdebru wrote: »

Well, I do. Almost every day.

It's down to the rosters - the 26 is fully integrated with the 66/66a/66b/66x. Buses operate across all five routes throughout the day - hence it's quite possible that a VT could do a trip on the 26 at some stage.

cdebru wrote: »

You do see them, especially in the morning. Like back in the day when VT21 would run a 92 and then the 1640 51B from Aston Quay. A VT around Bawnogue was a sight to behold :)

If a VT sneaks out onto the 66 at night, it will be on the 26 at some stage. I've been on more than one. The 5pm 66B is usually a VT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Well, I do. Almost every day.
    It's down to the rosters - the 26 is fully integrated with the 66/66a/66b/66x. Buses operate across all five routes throughout the day - hence it's quite possible that a VT could do a trip on the 26 at some stage.
    dfx- wrote: »
    You do see them, especially in the morning. Like back in the day when VT21 would run a 92 and then the 1640 51B from Aston Quay. A VT around Bawnogue was a sight to behold :)

If a VT sneaks out onto the 66 at night, it will be on the 26 at some stage. I've been on more than one. The 5pm 66B is usually a VT.

The VT can't safely make the turn on kennelsfort road so they are not allowed operate on the 26. That is why VTs are rarely on the 66 route they are only put on if that board has no 26 journeys on it.
    The only way it could end up on a 26 is if the driver is unaware of this which is unlikely given they have no new staff in nearly 6 years and the controller misses it.

I wouldn't say it has never hsppened, I certainly have never seen one but anything is possible. It is not true that they are on it almost everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

AlekSmart wrote: »
    For anybody who is interested in that era and the ability of CIE to innovate and do stuff for itself,it is worth noting that one of the last (If not THE last) parts of the original AVM (Automatic Vehicle Monitoring) system's constituent parts sits un-noticed on a lamp standard soon to be removed altogether.

The Street Lighting along the Cookstown Lane from the Belgard Inn up to Fettercairn is being replaced and new standards are now in place....yet there,sitting on the last pole before the Belgard Road junction (Inbound) is an SBD reciever.

SBD (Selective Bus Detection) was one of the spin-off elements of the AVM system and was designed to adjuct the Traffic Signal Phasing to favour Buses running late OR to delay Buses running ahead of time.

Dublin Fire Brigade and CIE equipped some of their fleets with the transponder units which communicated with the Lamp Standard mounted reciever...sadly after the initial and (AFAIK) successful trials,the AVM system was retired in favour of a digital upgrade,which was then itself delayed due to recession/lack of funding.....ah the passage of time and the learning of lessons ....:D

This long surviving evidence may well be already gone,as the pole concerned is not redundant so get there quick !!!!

Any photos or articles on its operation?

Sounds fascinating.

Advertisement