Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Farms

Options

Comments

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    :confused:Strange that in my area I've heard very opposition to these farms. Maybe one reason is because we've moved on with the anti Brit ranting which seems to be the main focus of some of those opposed to them.
    Hopefully, it's a realization that if we want to continue with our expensive (energy wise) lifestyles, then it is going to cost us!
    Fossil fuels are being depleted at an ever increasing rate and in some cases are reaching their maximum extraction rate, after which the only way is down (in the case of some fuels very rapidly)
    The energy has to come from somewhere, either renewables or we revert to a lower energy lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I d join a subversive group even to stop them. Or strap gelignite to them. No way are these going up. I see these as a direct attack on our sovereignty.

Mainstream beware don't waste your money you've lost enough already. You ll notice why you should nt build them. Things are going to get difficult. In strange ways you don t even understand.

If you didn't come across as a total moron, you might have an argument against windfarms. But your pathetic rantings do nothing for your cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

:confused:Strange that in my area I've heard very little opposition to these farms. Maybe one reason is because we've moved on from the anti Brit ranting which seems to be the main focus of some of those opposed to them.

so we're facilitating energy generation for the UK with very little benefit to our own economy, with huge tax breaks in the UK for these energy companies

while ruining our own countryside, dividing communities and causing environmental problems for houses and families up and down the country

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so we're facilitating energy generation for the UK with very little benefit to our own economy, with huge tax breaks in the UK for these energy companies

while ruining our own countryside, dividing communities and causing environmental problems for houses and families up and down the country
    If any government ministers have any sense, then there will be a decent tax take from this scheme.

If any government ministers have any sense, then there will be a decent tax take from this scheme.

Ray Burke?
    he was a good 'un.
    oil exploration, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

There's a great idea!
    If we had that from wind farms and the oil we'd be laughing like the Norwegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

On Monday the 12th of August Scottish Conservative Euro MP Struan Stevenson addressed a protest rally against wind turbines in Athlone organised by Marian Harkin, Independent MEP for Ireland’s North West constituency.

Speaking after the event, Struan Stevenson, a well-known and outspoken critic of the Scottish Government’s wind energy policy and author of a recent book ‘SO MUCH WIND – The Green Energy Myth’, said:

“This rally proved an enormous success and I was happy to share my views about Scotland’s disastrous wind energy policy with the people of the Irish Midlands, where one of the world’s largest wind factory developments is being proposed. This project, called Greenwire, will see over 1,100 onshore and 1,300 offshore installations of the biggest turbines on the planet tower from 157 to 184 metres high over at least 50 separate industrial wind parks and offshore arrays, to supply Britain with electricity. The project will not even be connected to the Irish electricity grid, but will involve thousands of kilometres of underground cabling dug along the sides of Irish roads and two giant undersea cables, to link it to the UK national grid in North and West Wales."

There is more...

http://www.struanstevenson.com/media/news-release/scottish_mep_brings_anti-windfarm_message_to_hundreds_at_rally_in_ireland/

To address those last comments, Ruining our countryside: yes, of course there are areas where these turbines would not be acceptable. But believe me, not all of Westmeath are areas of outstanding beauty.
    Dividing communities: The only people doing this are the anti brigade. As I've already stated, not much opposition around these parts that I've heard.
    As for environmental issues, from what I gather there have been only a very small number of issues where windfarms already exist.
    And speaking of ruining our countryside, who is going to remove the ugly "No windfarm" signs that have appeared in some of the towns/villages around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The project will not even be connected to the Irish electricity grid

That's mad stuff, Ted, mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

First of all wind farms are most certainly not banned in the UK. In fact a simple google search will show that they have huge numbers of turbines being built in the UK as we speak. The OP is spouting nonsense in this regard.

Also I personally find them to be somewhat visually appealing in the environment in moderation. They look far better than 90% of country houses and roads in my opinion. I have lived in the Mullingar countryside all my life, and I don't oppose progression.

• Advertisement

To address those last comments, Ruining our countryside: yes, of course there are areas where these turbines would not be acceptable. But believe me, not all of Westmeath are areas of outstanding beauty.
    Dividing communities: The only people doing this are the anti brigade. As I've already stated, not much opposition around these parts that I've heard.
    As for environmental issues, from what I gather there have been only a very small number of issues where windfarms already exist.
    And speaking of ruining our countryside, who is going to remove the ugly "No windfarm" signs that have appeared in some of the towns/villages around here?

you need to read more into problems with windfarms.
    where have these huge wind turbines been built before on land? nowhere!

the companies are dividing communities with their tactics to get landowners on board with confidentiality clauses

you must have missed the march in Mullingar a few weeks back, and the protests outside the Dail too

you must have missed the march in Mullingar a few weeks back, and the protests outside the Dail too

If you promised to hand a million quid to everyone in the country, somebody would march on the Dail to protest. They always do.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    First of all wind farms are most certainly not banned in the UK. In fact a simple google search will show that they have huge numbers of turbines being built in the UK as we speak. The OP is spouting nonsense in this regard.

No they are not banned in the UK but they cause such public outcry that getting planning for a windfarm on the scale of what is being proposed for the Irish midlands would be nigh on impossible.

Here's how the UK Independent newspaper reported the news:

UK to outflank objectors with wind farms in Ireland

Faced with fervent and growing opposition to onshore wind farms in the UK, Tory MPs are backing a plan to site those facilities in Ireland – and then export the renewable energy generated back to Britain using cables running under the Irish Sea, to Wales.
    More importantly, such a development could take the pressure off the need for many more wind farms in the British countryside and save David Cameron from the wrath of his backbenchers who are in revolt at the Government's current plans. The scheme, called Greenwire, is the brainchild of an American company called Element Power.
    It says the Irish have a less reactionary attitude to onshore wind turbine developments than the British and points out that it would provide significant economic developments to the republic, while solving the UK Government's political conundrum. "From the Tory side, this is something that addresses their concerns about further onshore wind farm development, while at the same time bringing them closer to green growth," said Mike O'Neill, the president of Element Power. "And in Ireland people appear to be less concerned about the construction of wind farms and place greater emphasis on the economic growth they can bring.
    But what is yet untested is the reaction of the Irish people to the plan. Wind may be an unlimited resource but the countryside is not and some experts predict resentment of what could be perceived as a fresh British land-grab.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/uk-to-outflank-objectors-with-wind-farms-in-ireland-8202948.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kjkkments

I think they look great better than a big lump of a peat powered station anyway .Some people will resist change/progress no matter now good a case is made for it.

kjkkments wrote: »
    I think they look great better than a big lump of a peat powered station anyway .Some people will resist change/progress no matter now good a case is made for it.

There doesn't seem to be a good case for the midlands windfarms; go ahead and make a convincing case if you can.

There doesn't seem to be a good case for the midlands windfarms; go ahead and make a convincing case if you can.

I dont really have to if the business case works for the investors then thats it. My point is that I think they look good they create clean renewable energy and do very little harm. I was also saying that with any new tech you will always get begrudgers who will resist progress regardless of the potential benefits. You get the same type of intransigence with all sorts of things eg hunting, orange marches motorway construction its just some peoples way I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Awakening2014

It's not a democracy they will not be built. Fuzzy clam you don't have a clue. I don't think Britain will be needing our power anyway. Just cause they messed up our economy and ancestors does not mean they messed up our soul. I'm afraid the days of rule are coming to an end. By the way Fuzzy Clam what is your vested interest. No one cares about windfarms unless they have a soul and hate them or are getting money from them. I will not stand for them in our county.

FULL STOP
    It will be another red line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Awakening2014

If you want to cross me that's your prerogative. Live by the sword be prepared to die by it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

huey1975 wrote: »
    That's two in favour and one against. In a democracy I think that means we can look forward to cheaper renewable low emission energy. As my son would say "tough titties"

They are definitely not cheaper, they are being heavily subsidised by our electricity bills. In order to operate they require large amounts of reliable energy produced by fossil fuels as an input. Then they produce highly irregular electricity which is very expensive to work smoothly into the grid.

The practical benefits (turning off other forms of energy) are nil. They are there to make politicans look good.

one nuclear plant in the UK would produce the same amount of electricity, for Britain

• Advertisement

No one cares about windfarms unless they have a soul and hate them or are getting money from them.

Some of us have heard of Climate Change, and would like to see a switch from fossil fuels to nuclear and renewables.

I saw an item on SKY news at the weekend about solar panels going up in fields in the UK - guess what? Locals are against it! No Solar Farms! Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's not a democracy they will not be built. Fuzzy clam you don't have a clue. I don't think Britain will be needing our power anyway. Just cause they messed up our economy and ancestors does not mean they messed up our soul. I'm afraid the days of rule are coming to an end. By the way Fuzzy Clam what is your vested interest. No one cares about windfarms unless they have a soul and hate them or are getting money from them. I will not stand for them in our county.

FULL STOP
    It will be another red line

WTF are you on about?
    You must be a troll. Has to be. No other way to explain it

kjkkments wrote: »
    I dont really have to if the business case works for the investors then thats it.

I disagree; making money should not be the only consideration. Why should the people of the midlands have to live in a giant wind farm so that investors in wind energy companies make a profit? The business case worked for Anglo-Irish Bank and look where that got us all.

And guess who some of the investors in the midlands windfarms are?

The first chairman of Mainstream Renewable Power was Fintan Drury; before joining Mainstream he was a member of the board of Anglo-Irish Bank. According to Mainstream's website Fintan Drury remains a shareholder. Through his friendship with Fintan Drury, Sean Fitzpatrick of Anglo-Irish Bank became an investor in Mainstream; he made a €1,000,000 investment into Mainstream Renewable Power in July 2008.

Do people really think that it's a good thing to cover 5 counties with giant wind turbines just to fill the coffers of greedy businessmen?

Do people really think that it's a good thing to cover 5 counties with giant wind turbines just to fill the coffers of greedy businessmen?

I think generating electricity comes into the story, too.

I think generating electricity comes into the story, too.

for britain

and a profit for the UK companies involved

for britain

Climate change does not stop at the Border - it's a global problem. More renewable energy is good.

Trade and profit are also good.

I disagree; making money should not be the only consideration. Why should the people of the midlands have to live in a giant wind farm so that investors in wind energy companies make a profit? The business case worked for Anglo-Irish Bank and look where that got us all.

And guess who some of the investors in the midlands windfarms are?

The first chairman of Mainstream Renewable Power was Fintan Drury; before joining Mainstream he was a member of the board of Anglo-Irish Bank. According to Mainstream's website Fintan Drury remains a shareholder. Through his friendship with Fintan Drury, Sean Fitzpatrick of Anglo-Irish Bank became an investor in Mainstream; he made a €1,000,000 investment into Mainstream Renewable Power in July 2008.

I cant cee the relevance of AIB to this discussion. My point was in response to a previous point where I was asked to justify the wind farms in the midlands. My point was that I dont have to justify them that is the remit of the investors in the project. My relevant point was that I dont think they look bad or damage an area . If they generate power, revenue and do no harm why all the agro a big dirty slurry pit or pig farm would far more harm and I dont hear any complaints about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

infacteh wrote: »
    I personally think they look great. plus you're creating an industry, jobs, and much needed, renewable energy.

I wonder how many of the people against wind farm development have properly researched and educated themselves about the pros and cons of wind farm development?
    I have and there better off offshore. Also once constructed there is very little jobs. They get a bit if wd40 once a year and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some of us have heard of Climate Change, and would like to see a switch from fossil fuels to nuclear and renewables.

I saw an item on SKY news at the weekend about solar panels going up in fields in the UK - guess what? Locals are against it! No Solar Farms! Boo!
    Ironically its an Irish company doing it.

• Advertisement

you must have missed the march in Mullingar a few weeks back,

This is the first I have heard about it. Many turn up?

Advertisement