Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Farms

Options
  • 18-08-2013 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Does anyone else think that it is a disgrace that the two wind-farm companies expect people to welcome the construction of massive windmills that will entirely change the scenery of the midlands? All for the benefit of exporting power to Britain, who themselves have banned windmills due to the fact they are eyesores.

If I was the two companies involved I'd cut my losses and apologize to the people for coming up with such a crazy scheme in the first place. Everyone without a vested interest is completely against the scheme. People may own there land but they don't own the skyline.

With the level of opposition they will never be granted planning permission anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I like the look of those turbines and I know a few farmers who would benefit a lot so I hope they get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I personally think they look great. plus you're creating an industry, jobs, and much needed, renewable energy.

I wonder how many of the people against wind farm development have properly researched and educated themselves about the pros and cons of wind farm development?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

That's two in favour and one against. In a democracy I think that means we can look forward to cheaper renewable low emission energy. As my son would say "tough titties"

huey1975 wrote: »
    That's two in favour and one against. In a democracy I think that means we can look forward to cheaper renewable low emission energy. As my son would say "tough titties"

It might be fairer to at least add a poll!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Awakening2014

Do you not think they spoil the view? They're taller than the Eiffel tower. Planning permission would be impossible to obtain for any buildings that size in the county. Most houses and villages have lots of signs up against them. They have nothing to offer the local community. Why can't they be built in Britain? This won't be the first time that the people of Ireland will be inconvenienced by Britain's resource requirements.

• Advertisement

The Westmeath skyline?

infacteh your location is leixlip so your opinion does'nt matter. What is your interest in the subject?

As fossil fuels get harder & more expensive to extract, there are basically two choices;

Use less or find alternatives.

And using less will degrade the quality of life (and the economy), so wind turbines it is.

In the not too distant future the choice will be Frac' or freeze, but we're not there yet!

infacteh wrote: »
    The Westmeath skyline?

Skyline Def:

the boundary line between earth and sky; the apparent horizon: A sail appeared against the skyline.

Yes the Westmeath skyline.

The law is quite clear-cut if enough people object, and their concern is warranted then they can't be built.

It has nothing to do with a majority vote. Are we going to have a mini windfarm referendum in Westmeath :D

Even if this was possible the windfarms would be shot down.

Oh by the way this power is for Britain. They energy requirements don't concern me.

My local environment concerns me.

infacteh your location is leixlip so your opinion does'nt matter. What is your interest in the subject?

I work in Westmeath, and I'm originally from there. Not being smart, but Westmeath is quite flat, and would not be considered one of the more scenic parts of the country.

Is your issue that the plan is to export the energy to the UK?

Would you be more accepting of the plan if the generated electricity was for the domestic market?

• Advertisement

infacteh wrote: »
    I work in Westmeath, and I'm originally from there. Not being smart, but Westmeath is quite flat, and would not be considered one of the more scenic parts of the country.

Is your issue that the plan is to export the energy to the UK?

Would you be more accepting of the plan if the generated electricity was for the domestic market?

The aesthetics of a particular area are quite subjective. I myself think that there is some nice unspoiled scenery in Westmeath, around Ballymore Killare and the Hill of Uisneach. Lough Owel, Lough Derravaragh, Belvedeare, the Shannon in Athlone.

The fact is that these windfarms are foreign objects that are around ten times higher than the surrounding country side and are to be built everywhere.

If you were to get someone from China and drive them through Westmeath and ask them to describe the scenery they might mention different things, for example the green fields rivers lakes.

If you asked the question after these were built, the first thing they would mention would be the windfarms.

You should never underestimate how much rural people love their surroundings.

Any farmer that is not getting money would be against the scheme, lets say if they were built on public lands.

Why would anyone who is not selling out welcome the construction of these alien constructions.

I would not welcome the wind-farms regardless of where the energy was for.
    However the fact that they are for Britain makes things worse.

Not because I harbor some republican grudge, but because the banned the construction of wind-farms in Britain because they were regarded as destroying the countryside. The fact that they think its ok to build them on my doorstep bugs me. It is almost imperialistic.

While I know where you're coming from, everybody needs services, but nobody wants them beside them. For example, we all like to have our rubbish bins collected, but nobody wants a dump in their area!

Energy and food security are going to be huge issues in years to come. I think Ireland, if it does things correctly (and it normally doesn't) can set the groundwork now to future proof ourselves for our future generations. While the circumstances around the proposed windfarms in westmeath may be far from ideal, to be against windpower solely because it's an eyesore is a typical insular irish trait which has this country the way it is.

Something like 80% of our electricity comes from imported fossil fuels. With windpower in general, Ireland has an opportunity to be almost self sufficient in our energy needs, but the prevailing attitude in this country seems to be against them, because they're an eyesore!

Can you suggest a clean, renewable alternative to windpower? And I mean in general, not just in your neighbourhood.

There are plenty of lovely areas in Westmeath. I would never advocate building them in Fore, for example, but there are plenty of places too which are not the Ring of Kerry either!

Have you seen any windfarms in person? There's a small one in North Tipp, and I think it looks great.

If the wind-farms were for Ireland, and the last option available to fulfill our energy needs then I would consider them. I still think they should be built offshore and that the ones planned are two big.

What gives two companies the right to transform a landscape that has been there for thousands of years, in order to profit from Britain's renewable energy requirements?

The arguments you have made are irrelevant because they are not being to be built to fulfill requirements in this community.

If you can explain why they can not be built in Britain I might entertain your argument.

Anyway I have no doubt that they won't be built. I am 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They can't be built in England for a reason that escapes me. And I remember reading somewhere that Ireland agreed to them being built here for England as part of a big bag of cash the British sent our way back when everything went to crap 5/6 years ago.

Personally, I don't mind them. I'd prefer if they were smaller, and the energy generated be kept here and maybe sold onto England. At least then, if we run low on power here, we could redirect the output to our own national grid.

There are pockets of these things scattered throughout the country. Might be a small idea for some of these landowners to brush up on their wind power knowledge, and then let people tour around their land and explain what the turbines do/how they work/etc. Personally, if I drive near these things I'll often stop and take a look.

They can't be built in England for a reason that escapes me. And I remember reading somewhere that Ireland agreed to them being built here for England as part of a big bag of cash the British sent our way back when everything went to crap 5/6 years ago.

Personally, I don't mind them. I'd prefer if they were smaller, and the energy generated be kept here and maybe sold onto England. At least then, if we run low on power here, we could redirect the output to our own national grid.

There are pockets of these things scattered throughout the country. Might be a small idea for some of these landowners to brush up on their wind power knowledge, and then let people tour around their land and explain what the turbines do/how they work/etc. Personally, if I drive near these things I'll often stop and take a look.

Selling their country's soul to England for the queen's pound.

Can't say I'm surprised. Following the path followed by thousands of Irishmen. Enda Kenny is merely the international financiers country manager. There even looking for people to retire later. Clearly not progress.

Anyway they can't be built with so much opposition. If they do then democracy has failed. Or has that happened already?

They are being built a few miles from me on a bog. The bog was closed as part of the EU regulations, and then planning permission was granted for the wind farm

That's a joke, close a bog supplying local energy needs to build a windfarm to supply power to Britain.

It amazes me what people think they can get away with. I don't think there have ever been signs erected protesting about anything before in the county.

There s not a hope of them being built. Shame on any farmer who inflicts this on the community. I thought they were supposed to love their land. Do they not see themselves as custodians for the next generation.

Whatever assurances, contacts, agreements, guarantees these companies have to get these built, it won't happen. We the people will not allow it.

I've never witnessed such widespread anger over such a project .

The companies should make a clever business decision and opt out. England has done enough harm around here already. You may say it's in the past, they should be paying for our fuel for what they did to our own flesh and blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Does anyone else think that it is a disgrace that the two wind-farm companies expect people to welcome the construction of massive windmills that will entirely change the scenery of the midlands? All for the benefit of exporting power to Britain, who themselves have banned windmills due to the fact they are eyesores.

If I was the two companies involved I'd cut my losses and apologize to the people for coming up with such a crazy scheme in the first place. Everyone without a vested interest is completely against the scheme. People may own there land but they don't own the skyline.

With the level of opposition they will never be granted planning permission anyway.

I wouldn't pray for them not to get planning, there is alot of them in the west cork area in scenic areas. The locals will have to stand their ground and fight to stop them if necessary. I was unaware they were baned in the UK. We get the sh.t end of the stick as usual.

Froststop wrote: »
    I wouldn't pray for them not to get planning, there is alot of them in the west cork area in scenic areas. The locals will have to stand their ground and fight to stop them if necessary. I was unaware they were baned in the UK. We get the sh.t end of the stick as usual.

I d join a subversive group even to stop them. Or strap gelignite to them. No way are these going up. I see these as a direct attack on our sovereignty.

Mainstream beware don't waste your money you've lost enough already. You ll notice why you should nt build them. Things are going to get difficult. In strange ways you don t even understand.

I d join a subversive group even to stop them. Or strap gelignite to them. No way are these going up. I see these as a direct attack on our sovereignty.

I wouldn't be getting too up in arms about it. One thing about them is they are not permanent, bar the concrete foundation. I doubt they do much permanent damage to an area.

It seems to be they typical Irish protest at the moment, 'down with this sort of thing'!

And you'd risk long term imprisonment, locked away from all your family and friends, rather than have the inconvenience of having to look at some windmills?

• Advertisement

There s not a hope of them being built.

I think you need to catch up here. They are already being built

I think you need to catch up here. They are already being built

Without planning permission? Where? How come it's not in the paper. "typical Irish protest" bit of a generalisation.

You'd have to catch me first ;)

Are the guards getting beer from mainstream as well as shell?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If you drive through France you'll see plenty of giant wind turbines standing around, I think they look good.

I'm sure the OP would prefer them to the Nuclear stations you also see about the place in France.

Without planning permission? Where? How come it's not in the paper. "typical Irish protest" bit of a generalisation.

You'd have to catch me first ;)

Are the guards getting beer from mainstream as well as shell?

Ya can find this yourself using Google
    Midland Tribune Article
    Planning permission

Your full of talk to be honest, and if I may say so, a bit of a keyboard warrior. You have a thread blasting the building of these things (and in some ways I agree) but your knowledge of what's happening/planned/completed is very bad

This thread is just you ranting, and is becoming pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

That's a joke, close a bog supplying local energy needs to build a windfarm to supply power to Britain.

An acre per turbine, including access road etc. That is bugger-all footprint compared to large-scale peat extraction. And the real advantage is that that is all that will ever be needed during the life of the turbine, and when it's dismantled the bog will still be there around the site. Unlike with turbary power generation.

Like it or not, windfarms are coming - may not be Greenwire or the other crowd, and it may not be next year, but it's going to happen, and the midlands and offshore banks are prime sites.

The notion that it's wrong because we are exporting power is daft - the more of anything renewable we can export the better for all of us, as long as it's not our kids. Ensuring that we get the best deal with the minimum impact is the real issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I read a report in a Roscommon paper where a family living close to a turbine had to move to Leitrim due to the effect it was having on their family's health

GP advised them to move

wind turbines might look 'nice' from far off, but if built close to your home or school, what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I read a report in a Roscommon paper where a family living close to a turbine had to move to Leitrim due to the effect it was having on their family's health

GP advised them to move

wind turbines might look 'nice' from far off, but if built close to your home or school, what then?
    Trust me when I say, when they are deciding on the turbine placement how it affects houses near them is a serious consideration, if there is any shadow flicker or noise pollution they usually take steps to sort it or buy you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

It's hard to see these wind farms going ahead given the amount of local opposition.

They have been discussed on two other threads on here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056863858&page=111
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056940749&page=14

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

If you drive through France you'll see plenty of giant wind turbines standing around, I think they look good.

Given the size of France I was surprised at how few wind turbines there are and at how small the ones I have seen are compared to the 185m turbines proposed for the Irish midlands. The French anti-wind group Vent de Colère, or "Wind of Anger" has battled against the development of the sector for years and last year contested France's onshore wind tariffs effectively bringing the wind energy industry to a halt for the moment.

http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/french-wind-power-spun-into-knots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

:confused:Strange that in my area I've heard very little opposition to these farms. Maybe one reason is because we've moved on from the anti Brit ranting which seems to be the main focus of some of those opposed to them.

Advertisement