Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Does anyone know of any differences in history? I think the most challenging part is learning those sraith pictiur again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alphagirl001

I'm 99% sure I am repeating this year..just saddest thing for me is everyone I know close to me is one step ahead :(. I swore to myself I would never repeat..I did foundation level Irish and got an A2 ( 15 points) which realistically if I did ordinary irish I would still get that amount of points, so i don't think I will do Irish again this year..unless my course I want requires ordinary irish :/

Also, is it possible to take irish outside of school, like do the subject with a tutor, sit your exam and orals etc?

I'm 99% sure I am repeating this year..just saddest thing for me is everyone I know close to me is one step ahead :(. I swore to myself I would never repeat..I did foundation level Irish and got an A2 ( 15 points) which realistically if I did ordinary irish I would still get that amount of points, so i don't think I will do Irish again this year..unless my course I want requires ordinary irish :/

Also, is it possible to take irish outside of school, like do the subject with a tutor, sit your exam and orals etc?

Yep you can just apply as an external student. Just make sure you have enough points to do your course next year, If your just repeating one your best bet is to try and find a job for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

JackB93 wrote: »
    Ah. I'm a repeat alright but I haven't done chemistry before so haven't done the practicals. Wouldn't want to chance sitting the exam without them done to be honest, does anyone have any more info on places you can go to do just chemistry?

One lad in my year went to the institute for Chemistry but I'm not sure if they did the practicals. Guessing from his schedule (He'd leave in the middle of the day) he did it with the 6th years there. I'd suggest just ringing various schools and asking if it's possible. The institute do offer the experiments but I'm not sure if their revision course do aswell. Are you looking to just repeat chemistry by itself or to take the whole thing but study everything else at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

oncex wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any differences in history? I think the most challenging part is learning those sraith pictiur again!

The case studies are changing up, it's gonna be an Irish topic now. Think it's the Pursuit of Sovereignty section. That mean's you're gonna answer 2 100 mar International sections in the exam now rather than 1, and 1 Irish one.

P.S: I remember your thread the other week where we were both worried about our result. I somehow got a B3, must of had a lovely person marking it! Sorry to see you're repeating, but onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 cjh111

Missing out on your course by 5/10 points sucks balls , first off. So repeating in Rathmines looks like the job.Hopefully the course changes arn't too troublesome. Also , i hope they're not strict and overbearing about attendance , i'm probably going to want to do 80% of the work at home , on my own terms. Jumped up from 280 to 485 by doing that after my mocks this year.Just want to get on with it , sick of telling my mates i'm repeating and explaining my situation!

shootie wrote: »
    The case studies are changing up, it's gonna be an Irish topic now. Think it's the Pursuit of Sovereignty section. That mean's you're gonna answer 2 100 mar International sections in the exam now rather than 1, and 1 Irish one.

P.S: I remember your thread the other week where we were both worried about our result. I somehow got a B3, must of had a lovely person marking it! Sorry to see you're repeating, but onwards and upwards!

I did like that topic but it means ill have to learn to adjust my info into a short essay plus I will have to study a new topic possibly the American one. They don't teach it in my school either so I don't think it's worth doing it?. Got a b3 myself, gutted but can't wait to view my scripts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

good luck to those repeating this year in the long run its dam sure worth it what does 1 year compare to 30/40 years of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonG

i am repeating the leaving cert this year because i was not happy with my results and i didnt get offered my preferable choices on the CAO! I am just wondering is there anyone that can give me advice. I done Ordinary Level Irish and got a B2 in it but would it be too hard to change to Higher Level Irish or would it be very hard to pass it? I am planning on dropping maths (i got a B2 in Ordinary Level) and just doing six higher level subjects: English, Irish, Geography, Biology, French, Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zeldagamelover

JonG wrote: »
    i am repeating the leaving cert this year because i was not happy with my results and i didnt get offered my preferable choices on the CAO! I am just wondering is there anyone that can give me advice. I done Ordinary Level Irish and got a B2 in it but would it be too hard to change to Higher Level Irish or would it be very hard to pass it? I am planning on dropping maths (i got a B2 in Ordinary Level) and just doing six higher level subjects: English, Irish, Geography, Biology, French, Chemistry.

i would not recommend doing higher level Irish as its a lot of work especially if you are repeating.. stay in higher level maths. perhaps you could take an extra subject .. languages are really hard.. :) good luck! :) x

• Advertisement

I've an interview today to get into my repeat school..:/

I've an interview today to get into my repeat school..:/

so how did it go? im so worried i wont get accepted into the institute cus i havent applied yet .. im still on holidays.. :rolleyes:

It went well, the woman who did the interview with me was very nice. We went over my leaving cert results, and if I am taking honours level this year etc. Also discussed new subject that I will take up ( thinking R.E, personally don't want to but have no choice. Hate everything science, my brain just refuses to get over the D mark. And I am not good with business, accounting etc so it will do). I am pretty sure I am repeating, going to make a final decision tonight.

Also, there were plenty of people coming in for interviews aswell. The time is now to make an appointment for it, so whenever you are back from holidays, make it the first thing you do- just so places don't fill up. Even ring them on your holildays to make an appointment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

It went well, the woman who did the interview with me was very nice. We went over my leaving cert results, and if I am taking honours level this year etc. Also discussed new subject that I will take up ( thinking R.E, personally don't want to but have no choice. Hate everything science, my brain just refuses to get over the D mark. And I am not good with business, accounting etc so it will do). I am pretty sure I am repeating, going to make a final decision tonight.

Also, there were plenty of people coming in for interviews aswell. The time is now to make an appointment for it, so whenever you are back from holidays, make it the first thing you do- just so places don't fill up. Even ring them on your holildays to make an appointment :)

Where are you repeating may i ask? :)

im back home on sunday .. cant wait ! been here too long now.. lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonG

i would not recommend doing higher level Irish as its a lot of work especially if you are repeating.. stay in higher level maths. perhaps you could take an extra subject .. languages are really hard.. :) good luck! :) x
    thanks for your reply but, sorry I never done Honours Maths. thats why i am planning on just dropping it because I plan on doing 6 Higher Level Subjects! I would either move up to Higher Level Irish or just pick an extra subject. I dont know what subject i would pick to be honest smile.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

im repeating my leaving cert this year also, but im doing in it in another school

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

JonG wrote: »
    thanks for your reply but, sorry I never done Honours Maths. thats why i am planning on just dropping it because I plan on doing 6 Higher Level Subjects! I would either move up to Higher Level Irish or just pick an extra subject. I dont know what subject i would pick to be honest smile.png

If you're ready to work at Irish I'd say go ahead and move up to HL. I moved up to HL half way through 5th year (after having done OL for JC), and I found it grand once you stick at it. Honestly I didn't find it a subject that I had to spend so much time at, but maybe that's because I really liked the subject so I liked learning it. I got a B1 in it, which I'm delighted with, but I must say I am fairly gutted I missed out on the A! Focus mainly on the essays and oral work. Oral work is 40% and honestly it is easy to get 35% and above if you work at it throughout the year. If you do well in the oral, you'll do well overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Re-enrolled today.
    Oh the good times :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    Re-enrolled today.
    Oh the good times :pac:

In the institute ? I have my interview on Wednesday.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nah in my old school. :P
    Same as last year though, Saturday classes in LTC! :rolleyes:

nah in my old school. :P
    Same as last year though, Saturday classes in LTC! :rolleyes:

That's cool but what's ltc? Lol :p

That's cool but what's ltc? Lol :p

the Tutorial college in Limerick. Same as IoE :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I had an interview a few weeks ago before I knew I wasn't repeating and it's fine. They'll take you if you have the money.. I was out in 15 minutes, it's just to see your subjects and levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

My brother is enrolling to repeat because he didn't make his preferred choice and he wasn't that close either. He wants to move up to higher in 3 subjects, is that doable or is it too much pressure? He got a C1 in the subjects he wants to move up in.

the Tutorial college in Limerick. Same as IoE :P

Oh right haha that's cool :D

I had an interview a few weeks ago before I knew I wasn't repeating and it's fine. They'll take you if you have the money.. I was out in 15 minutes, it's just to see your subjects and levels.

Haha okay thanks ! :o

Laydee wrote: »
    My brother is enrolling to repeat because he didn't make his preferred choice and he wasn't that close either. He wants to move up to higher in 3 subjects, is that doable or is it too much pressure? He got a C1 in the subjects he wants to move up in.

Well depends on his subjects but if he is motivated anything is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Repeat here too.. don't plan on going back to school.. just getting grinds in half my subjects :/

• Advertisement

so who is gonna be in the institute? :D

Advertisement