Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Options
  • 18-08-2013 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi guys i was wondering if any one on this is repeating the leaving certificate for 2014.. i know we still havent got any offers but i know i wont get it in the college i want with the course i want..:(
    is anyone thinking of joining the institute? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alphagirl001

hello, yes I am thinking strongly about repeating in the institute this year. I didn't get very high points and I knew that it was expected, but I really want to get higher points and more opportunities for next year ( even though I HATE school).

What subjects are you thinking of doing? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hey! I am repeating but I wouldn't be able to afford the IOE.
    I have enrolled in a repeat programme not too far from me. :)
    Were ye far of the desired course?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

I'm going into sixth year in the institute this year so might see ye there.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zeldagamelover

yes i got really bad scores for medicine i got a low score of 430 for medicine. i knew i wasnt going to get in with the hpat but for my capabilities i had expected at least 500 with the amount i had studided .. i have been accepted into the dcu engineering but im not sure whether i should go for it.. :/ any advice?

hello, yes I am thinking strongly about repeating in the institute this year. I didn't get very high points and I knew that it was expected, but I really want to get higher points and more opportunities for next year ( even though I HATE school).

What subjects are you thinking of doing? :)

i think im only going to do physics bio and chem and the french irish english and maths
    you?
    i might see you there i will pm you if iam going :)

• Advertisement

If you have your heart set on medicine I'd say repeat its only a few months sure.. Might see you in the institute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

This is the worst day for someone who is repeating... Facebook status' galore:(

If you have your heart set on medicine I'd say repeat its only a few months sure.. Might see you in the institute :)

hopefully we will get in any idea about the interview process ?:)

oncex wrote: »

i completely agree.. :(

hopefully we will get in any idea about the interview process ?:)

Its not really an interview just a meeting with the career guidance teacher and she goes through your subjects and if your picking up new ones etc, very quick and easy nothing to worry about at all. Then you just have 3 hours of assemblies before school starts to make your time table and stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I feel that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

I was at the institute last year too! unfortunately, i'll be returning! 3rd time lucky! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I refuse to repeat......

I was at the institute last year too! unfortunately, i'll be returning! 3rd time lucky! :p

3rd time? Poor you.. what are you looking to do? Are you going back to the institute or just repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gitiana

This is probably a stupid question but, im thinking of repeating and theres no way i can afford grind schools. Does anyone know if you go to a regular secondary school, do you have to repeat the core subjects again? i.e irish, english, french..etc. i dont know if i could face the orals again..:(

Gitiana wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but, im thinking of repeating and theres no way i can afford grind schools. Does anyone know if you go to a regular secondary school, do you have to repeat the core subjects again? i.e irish, english, french..etc. i dont know if i could face the orals again..:(

As long as you have your requirements for the course you want to do in college you don't need to repeat your core subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Gitiana wrote: »

Depends on the school. Some don't allow for it but I'm repeating in mine anyway. Must set up a meeting with the Principal i suppose is that how its done? :confused:

Just repeat any 6 subjects if you passed/got what you need for the core, pick 6 you're good at.

Guys we're lucky with the English course this year. Its pretty much the same as last year

3rd time? Poor you.. what are you looking to do? Are you going back to the institute or just repeating?

Oh back to the Institute for sure, I thought it was brilliant. Just I clearly didn't work enough!:pac:
    And I'm aiming for Med, so close this year yet so far :p

Oh back to the Institute for sure, I thought it was brilliant. Just I clearly didn't work enough!:pac:
    And I'm aiming for Med, so close this year yet so far :p

unlucky so :( fair play to you for going back again though I couldn't that's for sure.. excited but awful nervous going up I don't know anybody :/ I'll be getting lost full time :p

unlucky so :( fair play to you for going back again though I couldn't that's for sure.. excited but awful nervous going up I don't know anybody :/ I'll be getting lost full time :p

Don't worry, that'll change within the first week or two! You get to know so many people! :)

• Advertisement

Don't worry, that'll change within the first week or two! You get to know so many people! :)

Week or two :O that's waaay too long to get settled in :L

Week or two :O that's waaay too long to get settled in :L

When's your interview? (Though, it's really not an interview at all):pac:

When's your interview? (Though, it's really not an interview at all):pac:

Had it last week.. bit of a joke tbh don't think I was in the place 15mins :p have a house as well so all sorted on that side thankfully :D

Had it last week.. bit of a joke tbh don't think I was in the place 15mins :p have a house as well so all sorted on that side thankfully :D

Really? where abouts? :D I'm by the aviva :pac:

Adelaide road so basically right beside the school.. happy out no travelling for me :D sharing with college students though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

As someone who just repeated there and got my offer today I'd be more than willing to give someone who would want a fairly sizable amount of revision books and that craic a lend. I will sadly need them back once you destroy it second time round for either my sister when she moves on to senior cycle or else to sell for beer money. :P
    The year flies through, I'd sincerely recommend assessing how serious the people in your repeat program are about getting what they want or if you'd benefit more from home study. I stopped going to mine halfway through.
    The stuff I have is: English HL Revisewise (Techniques, not specific), Irish OL Revisewise, Chemistry HL Revisewise, Biology HL Revisewise, Maths essentials unfolded HL (Great for formulae that will always be relevant), Biology essentials unfolded OL and HL, Chemistry essentials unfolded OL and HL and the Religion books. I'm not sure if the rents will let me give the lot away but if there's two or three anyone wants in particular I'm sure that'd be no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JackB93

Are all of ye repeating 6 subjects? I'm hoping to just do chemistry but I can't find anywhere that offers single subject repeats and it's not possible to do externally as far as I know. Anyone able to help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

JackB93 wrote: »
    Are all of ye repeating 6 subjects? I'm hoping to just do chemistry but I can't find anywhere that offers single subject repeats and it's not possible to do externally as far as I know. Anyone able to help me out?

I did it externally, as did 3 others where I was. Apparently you're not supposed to due to practicals but as a repeat since you've done them I'm pretty sure you're fine. Even if you hadn't chances are you'd be fine anyway. Maybe registering somewhere that doesn't offer chemistry is best, that'd reduce the chances of them sending somebody to check the chemistry mandatory experiments to pretty much zero I think. Also I believe a while back some places just offered the experiments in one blitz sort of course but it was pricy. Could be wrong.

Depends on the school. Some don't allow for it but I'm repeating in mine anyway. Must set up a meeting with the Principal i suppose is that how its done? :confused:

Just repeat any 6 subjects if you passed/got what you need for the core, pick 6 you're good at.

Guys we're lucky with the English course this year. Its pretty much the same as last year

yes you are right even maths hasnt changed much! thank god :) the rest of the subjects are the same.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JackB93

GrezzC wrote: »
    I did it externally, as did 3 others where I was. Apparently you're not supposed to due to practicals but as a repeat since you've done them I'm pretty sure you're fine. Even if you hadn't chances are you'd be fine anyway. Maybe registering somewhere that doesn't offer chemistry is best, that'd reduce the chances of them sending somebody to check the chemistry mandatory experiments to pretty much zero I think. Also I believe a while back some places just offered the experiments in one blitz sort of course but it was pricy. Could be wrong.

Ah. I'm a repeat alright but I haven't done chemistry before so haven't done the practicals. Wouldn't want to chance sitting the exam without them done to be honest, does anyone have any more info on places you can go to do just chemistry?

Advertisement