Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Semi-Final - Dublin -v- Kerry

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Joekers

3dnnw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, but if it was any other team that did it they'd have the player banned

Yes, its all a big conspiracy by those folks up in the big smoke...

Conspiracy forum is over there ->>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Gryire wrote: »
    The Sunday game did not even mention the second yellow that J Cooper should have got. The eye gouging will not be aired by rte as it would mean a ban for a Dublin player.
    Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, but if it was any other team that did it they'd have the player banned

Yes Joe Brolly, Pat spillane & Colm o rourke are all secret Dublin supporters :P:P;) Come on the Boys in Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

realies wrote: »
    Yes Joe Brolly, Pat spillane & Colm o rourke are all secret Dublin supporters :P:P;) Come on the Boys in Blue.

The reaction to the eye gouging says a lot about Dublin and it's supporters. Gooch is not going to comment.

Gooch = Legend
    R O'Carroll = Not allowed to state what is on photo. See for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

It looks bad obviously but calling him a thug is extreme. I'm sure you'll call Paul Galvin the same?

Interestingly, a similar incident happened in the national league game between Donegal and Mayo which wasn't prosecuted due to lack of video evidence. I don't recall the s**tstorm over that however. (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ocarroll-in-clear-for-final-despite-picture-of-poke-241813.html?utm_source=androidapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=1)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Well said Stoner, there's been an underlying motive to discredit the Dublin achievement yesterday. The back handed compliment of the fitter team won etc. With the exception of the peerless Cooper Dublin possess and played football every bit as good as Kerry. A team that conceded 3-3 in the opening 20 mins and restricted a Kerry team playing at the top of their game to only a further 8 points in 50 odd mins didn't do it thru sheer fitness alone. There was one moment in the 1st half where they pushed Kerry out from our 21 to back over the 50 with unfaltering defensive discipline.

The 2 Kerry goals were a defensive shambles, O'Brien ball watchin as O'Donoghue ran inside him not withstanding the quality of Coopers pass to Walsh. 2nd goal 3 Dublin defenders got sucked into cover Cooper leading to a simple give and go by Walsh who ran 30 yards for the return unchallenged. The peno wss a peno no doubts, other than one further chance that O'Donoghue blazed over that was the extent of Dublin frailty.

I know Colm O'Rourke was rather effusive in his praise of Dublin...but his comment regarding Dublin being the Brazil of Gaelic Football was based on his judgement of their football skills and not their fitness.

Nobody is trying to discredit their win. Both teams played superb football at times and Dublin came out on top. Kerry are however over reliant on a number of ageing players that just cannot perform like they have in the past because the younger players in the squad just aren't good enough at the moment. To deny that as a factor in the outcome would be burying ones head in the sand, especially given Dublin ran away with it in the closing minutes when Kerry were knackered. There is no doubt Dublin are a better team and will be for the foreseeable future based on what we saw last Sunday. I think most Kerry fans travelled in hope more than expectation and accept that the best team undoubtedly won. Dublins bench was also far superior. Whether this Dublin team are the real deal and can go on to win several all Ireland's remains to be seen though. They've only won one in near 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

fta93 wrote: »
    It looks bad obviously but calling him a thug is extreme. I'm sure you'll call Paul Galvin the same?

Interestingly, a similar incident happened in the national league game between Donegal and Mayo which wasn't prosecuted due to lack of video evidence. I don't recall the s**tstorm over that however. (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ocarroll-in-clear-for-final-despite-picture-of-poke-241813.html?utm_source=androidapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=1)

Yes. Galvin is of similar ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

plenty of Jim Corr's on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gryire wrote: »
    The reaction to the eye gouging says a lot about Dublin and it's supporters. Gooch is not going to comment.

He must have been threatened by the jackeens to keep shtum or else :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gooch was my man of the match too, having watched the game live, on TV and the highlights
    he should have been better marked but brennan is not the worst defender out there and I'm glad we all got to see him play on Sunday. I really hope he stays playing I saw nothing to suggest he needs to retire, yes the 35 year olds could call it a day if they want but if he went now it would be too soon IMHO.

He is a true role model for kids in both how he plays and conducts himself on the pitch.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mickeyk wrote: »
    Nobody is trying to discredit their win. Both teams played superb football at times and Dublin came out on top. Kerry are however over reliant on a number of ageing players that just cannot perform like they have in the past because the younger players in the squad just aren't good enough at the moment. To deny that as a factor in the outcome would be burying ones head in the sand, especially given Dublin ran away with it in the closing minutes when Kerry were knackered. There is no doubt Dublin are a better team and will be for the foreseeable future based on what we saw last Sunday. I think most Kerry fans travelled in hope more than expectation and accept that the best team undoubtedly won. Dublins bench was also far superior. Whether this Dublin team are the real deal and can go on to win several all Ireland's remains to be seen though. They've only won one in near 20 years.

Well two, but I get your point. I don't think a team will dominate again like kerry have. I think those days are gone. Say what you like about McGuinness but he showed every decent county has a chance with the right formula, Mayo to a degree are following a new formula, Dublin had one in 2010 and 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Stoner wrote: »
    Well two, but I get your point. I don't think a team will dominate again like kerry have. I think those days are gone. Say what you like about McGuinness but he showed every decent county has a chance with the right formula, Mayo to a degree are following a new formula, Dublin had one in 2010 and 2011.
    Yep, incredibly difficult to win back to back all Ireland's now, or even make successive finals. Would be great to see more attacking football like we saw on sunday from now on but time will tell. Btw I don't think anybody has even mentioned cooper retiring, he is still one of the best in the business and I'd be amazed if he didn't stay on a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

mickeyk wrote: »
    Yep, incredibly difficult to win back to back all Ireland's now, or even make successive finals. Would be great to see more attacking football like we saw on sunday from now on but time will tell. Btw I don't think anybody has even mentioned cooper retiring, he is still one of the best in the business and I'd be amazed if he didn't stay on a few more years.

Gooch is the best player in the game, I've never before seen a guy so deadly in front of goal who can also pull the strings so delicately from centre-forward. It's a privilege to watch him play.

He could play for another 6-7 years if he chooses, his ability was never based on speed of foot, but speed of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Anyone hear Mickey Harte saying how Joe Brolly mentioned nothing about the cynical fouling in the game? I found that truly laughable. As much as I'm divided on Brolly whereby I agree with him at times but disagree with him at others, in fairness to him one of the first things he talked about after the game was the cynical fouling before he was told to shut up by the others.

There's making a point then there's flat-out lying. Really annoyed me hearing what Harte had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭robbiezero

andyman wrote: »
    Anyone hear Mickey Harte saying how Joe Brolly mentioned nothing about the cynical fouling in the game? I found that truly laughable. As much as I'm divided on Brolly whereby I agree with him at times but disagree with him at others, in fairness to him one of the first things he talked about after the game was the cynical fouling before he was told to shut up by the others.

There's making a point then there's flat-out lying. Really annoyed me hearing what Harte had said.

I don't know what the cynical fouling thing is about. I saw very little of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't know what the cynical fouling thing is about. I saw very little of it.

There was plenty of it, and tbh it is part of the game and if I was a manager and my team didn't do it I would be furious, its called common sense and that bit of ruthlessness that is needed to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

andyman wrote: »

I was lucky enough to be at the game and actually saw very little off the ball stuff. I thought it was a very sporting game played by two physically fit and skillful teams. I am absolutely gutted with result but would have no complaints with dublin. I thought both teams played the game as we all wish it to be played and with some beautiful scores. I though the Gooch was the player of the 1st half with Diarmuid Connolly having a brilliant 2nd half. Kerry could have won it and there would be no complaints but dublin kept coming at us with reinforcements. Dublin fans were pretty sound about the whole thing afterwards. No cockiness. Great respect by both sets of fans and managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Maybe it looked different on the TV, but I was certainly unaware of it being prevalent at the match.
    By cynical fouling I mean deliberately pulling down players outside of the scoring zone to prevent them starting a move or getting an overlap. I thought most of the tackle attempts were genuine in the game regardless if they were fouls or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The Gooch was highlight of this match i'm not sure how he wasn't given man of the match. I thought the first Dublin goal against the run of play was huge moment in the game without it i think Kerry would have won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The Gooch was highlight of this match i'm not sure how he wasn't given man of the match. I thought the first Dublin goal against the run of play was huge moment in the game without it i think Kerry would have won.

Agree re Gooch, personally think that 35 mins of football was one of the finest individual displays I have ever seen tbh, it just oozed class.

Dublins first goal was a huge moment alright and a sucker punch to Kerry but I dont know if it was against the run of play they had already missed one very good goal chance and another half chance, the game hadn't really any pattern at that stage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Think this game is gone from the rte player, is there anywhere I can watch this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

mystic86 wrote: »
    Think this game is gone from the rte player, is there anywhere I can watch this??

Should be on youtube in a few days I reckon

Brolly claimed kerry resorted to some cynical stuff in the second half, he said they disappointed him, he was shouted down by the other two and said he'd stop trying to talk about because he wasn't allowed bring it up, not that it ever stopped him before. It was only a small mention though.
    Funny enough from MH point of view the last five minutes of the minor game were interesting if anyone wanted to see some cynical stuff.

Advertisement