Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Semi-Final - Dublin -v- Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Great win by Dublin, its getting even sweeter reading the anti Dub vibe from certain posters in here. There were incidents from both teams out there and to say it was a penalty is a tad harsh!!! You cannot lead with the forearm while dropping the head in a charging motion, it's not rugby!!!!!

It's still Mayo's to lose, by far the best team in it this year. Mayo by 5 points. Dublin massive underdogs

Ah yeah,you cute Dublin lads must be trying a bit of reverse psychology coming out with statements like that,we shan't fall for that one!Dublin are favourites for the All Ireland but we're quite hopeful we can make it a good contest.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

nm wrote: »

Ha ..spotted myself and my gang in a state of flux ... zoomed to scoreboard 2-2 0-3 no fackin wonder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Found myself too though it took a bit longer than I thought it would have. I'd love to see the picture at the 69th minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It think we may have one of the games of the year on Sunday. Kerry have the forwards and midfield to cause damage and Dublin have pace,power and free scoring ability that will difficult to stop. I think it will be repeat of 2011 AI final (another one point win for Dublin)

Dublin 2-13 Kerry 1-15

As i expected it turned out to be one of the games of year, wasn't right about the scoreline or margin of defeat but for a long time it looked like a point win was on the cards. I think those that wrote Kerry off before the game were surprised how much they put it up to Dublin but it remains to be seen if thats a good thing or bad for the Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

The GAA encourage the rough stuff but will never admit it & I think it was Eamon Dunphy who said

Soccer- A thugs game played by gentleman
    Rugby - A gentleman's game played by thugs
    Gealic Football - A thugs game played by thugs.

I tend to agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

lensman wrote: »
    The GAA encourage the rough stuff but will never admit it & I think it was Eamon Dunphy who said

Soccer- A thugs game played by gentleman
    Rugby - A gentleman's game played by thugs
    Gealic Football - A thugs game played by thugs.

I tend to agree with him

Yawn!.

Don't feed the troll people.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Okay, here is a neutral view point:

that was definate eyegouging on Colm Cooper by Rory O’Carroll, to say otherwise is denying the obvious and you really need to go to specsavers if you think it was not! There is clear video and photographic evidence. You do not have to be seriously injured either when eyegouged. O'Carroll will receive a one match ban on review. If he does not, he should or the G.A.A. are a joke! That sh#te rugby play has no place on a G.A.A. pitch!

Dublin should have had a at least one man, if not two, sent off for the last 10 minutes of the match for 1.) the delibrate trip by the number 4 Johnny Cooper on Colm Cooper. It would have been his second yellow card offence, so it then warranted a red 2). that was a deliberate kick back by McMahon on Colm Cooper. So it should have been a straight red! Clear video evidence. The fact he looks back gives it away. On review he should receive a ban too! That soccer sh#te has no place either on a G.A.A. pitch.

If you do not see these incidents for what they truly are and just fob them off as they are, you clearly cannot see the wood from the trees!

Galvin and Donaghy are not up to the Kerry standard. Donaghy hardly touched the ball. Galvin looks like a lost sheep on a fashion runway trying to seek attention!

Colm Cooper was 'Man of The Match'. He was hands down the best footballer on the pitch!

Dublin deserved to win. They saw out the last two minutes plus two minutes injury time. Kerry stopped playing from the 68 minute onwards! They sat back and let Dublin attack. They expected McManamon take his point, but instead it went into the net. He should have been blocked down by one or two of the three Kerry defenders that were directly in front of him. 2-1 to no score in those last four minutes is how Dublin won the game.

So well done to the Dubs! They were better team on the day, but not 7 points better. Maybe 2 or 3 at most. The final scoreline flattered them. They are very pourous at the back, but will give Mayo a good game. Mayo are capable of putting up a big score too against Dublin and could punish the Dubs early, but will Mayo finally have it mentally on the big day in the All-Ireland Final? Will nerves get to them again and they will be back to the wayward shooting from distance and having wide after wide? We saw glimpses of it against an aging Tyrone team. Mayo do not score goals or at least very many on All-Ireland Final day. We will soon see!

I think Dublin will win it. They rarely give up in matches and will stay going until the bitter end to try and win.

Also, there is now sod all proper tackling or fair shouldering allowed in Hurling or Gaelic football! Players are afraid to in case they get booked early on in a game and then sent off. Why games are score for score. They look good and people say the are the best games ever, but really the defending by both teams was poor. Same in the Hurling. Dublin v Cork was a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

EIRE1922 wrote: »

that was definate eyegouging on Colm Cooper by Rory O’Carroll, to say otherwise is denying the obvious and you really need to go to specsavers if you think it was not! There is clear video and photographic evidence

Is there video evidence? Hadn't heard about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Me neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Me neither.

Go on the Dubs!

Go on the Dubs!

Well go on then, produce this video evidence that you mention. Every media pundit on RTE, Today FM and Newstalk that I listened to today (including Eoin Liston) all said that they have only seen one single photograph of the so called incident. They (and none of them were Dubs btw) all said that one photograph is not enough to go on to make a judgement about it. Liston went so far as to say that it was a non event and, that no one in the Kerry camp is going to be making a complaint about it.

When you have produced this video evidence that none of them seem to have access to, I'm sure I'll be able to take my blue tinted goggles off long enough to watch it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The amount of crying by anti Dubs is reaching hilarious levels now.

Makes it so much sweeter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

that was definate eyegouging on Colm Cooper by Rory O’Carroll, to say otherwise is denying the obvious and you really need to go to specsavers if you think it was not! T

like this photographic evidence that the bowsie galvin was trying to strangulate young mccarthy? Look at his hands! on his throat. on HIS THROAT. Look at McCarthys face, you can see the very life being throttled from him! Lord protect us, whats the game coming to etc etc

james-mccarhty-and-paul-galvin-397x500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

If I was McCarthy, Id be pressing charges. That's attempted murder.

Thank God the Galvinator wasn't wearing his skinny jeans, or McCarthy would be laying dead in a ditch on Jones Road right now. Not a word of a lie !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Ya 36 sam maguires and all we do is throw the ball..

I swear i do believe the fitter, stronger and most aggressive team won but at times it was like a rugby match...

The best football team won again yesterday.
    I agree just Cooper deserved a yellow for the trip but he didn't deserve the first yellow IMHO . C O'Sullivan was pulled down twice on goal yesterday with no card given.
    It was a clean enough game there was off the ball stuff from both teams, but only Dublin were really punished for it until the end when the game was over and the ref was trying to get the stats up.
    Mccarthy and Galvin were bouncing off each other, Galvin hopped on the ground twice and Mccarthy got a yellow. Mcmahon and Cooper were booked in at the start of the second half for being involved in 50/50 spats. Declan O Sullivan dived for two frees

Continuously kerry forwards stood over cluxton on kickouts acting the maggot, he got zero protection from it from the ref, this made the Dublin defenders try to keep them away from him all something the ref should have addressed as it caused unnecessary friction between the players

It was a great game of football, but far too many cards for Dublin compared to kerry considering how clean the game was.
    Kerry over carried for points while Dublin got penalised for picking the ball off the ground, overcarrying and pulling the ball out of a players hands, all things that Kerry did with out action from the ref. We also lost a clear sideline ball overruled by the ref.

I'm not having a pop at kerry here, just the ref and pointing out where he made discussions against Dublin.

Dublin missed three clear cut chances for goals in the first half resulting in 7 points from a potential 9. The fantastic display from kerry in the first half had them just two points clear.

Gooch was massively curtailed from the start of the second half, nothing to do with his age or fitness he wax just destroying Brennan in the first half.
    I'm don't want to listen to another two years of gripping from some supporters about the ref, he was more on Kerrys side IMHO, Once again Dublin finished stronger, Kerry didn't plan for it or have the footballers on the bench to cope with it.
    I can't understand why some, not the majority, but some Kerry supporters continually have to hang on to Dublin being fitter or stronger to digest a loss. They just played better and finished with their best team Dublin have been fielding there best team at the end of games for four years now.

With respect to Dublin being bigger or stronger the program from the match yesterday had the heights and weights of both squads, and Dublin are over all shorter and lighter than Kerry.

Great game, too great teams, no need for too many kerry retirements, but some guys need to learn how to take a beating IMHO.

Sorry for annoying some of the regular kerry posters, I just get sick of the same old rubbish about fit vs skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Watched to game on the RTE player earlier on.Excellent game overall.

Incredible start by Kerry.Was in awe of Juventus on saturday with their passing that led to world class goals against Lazio but Cooper was more than a match for Pirlo and Pogba thats for sure.The first goal is for me the goal of the season just ahead of Michael Meehans one against cork.

The older players had an outstanding 20 minutes with all the scores resulting from good link up play between marc,tomas,declan o sullivan and cooper.

The trouble for Kerry was that things went downhill after gooch got his point from near the hill on his left foot around the 22nd minute.they only got one point over the next 15 mintues or so with gooch missing 2 great chances to put them further ahead.They needed to be 5/6 points up and were capable of doing so but that 15 minute period when scores dried up was crucial.

They tired as the game went on but with so many players nearly at the mid 30 mark agewise it was inevitable.Some wonderous football in the first 20 minutes though definitely.the only spell like that was in the 55-60 minute mark when they got 2-3 points but they were running on empty.The influence of the older players waned and gooch was nowhere near as effective in the second half as he was the first.

Another problem for them was that every time they got a goal dublin responded with a score.Dublin played well the entire game inspite of kerrys start and connolly and brogan stepped up to the mark big time.Dublin have learned the hard way from the extreme hype days of the 00s to keep themselves in line.

Fitness played a big part but Dublin just have better footballers than kerry at the moment.The younger players kerry have (bar o donoghue) are nowhere near the vintage crop of the 00s yet.Dublin bossed midfield and the error for the second goal was not the kind of thing darragh o se et al would do too often.

The longer the game went on Dublin exposed kerry down the wings with connolly/rock on the right hand side and brogan on the left able to take on the defense getting scores near the end.Stretching the kerry defense may well have been what won it for dublin along with the subs.

Its a big chance that has slipped from kerrys grasp.They could have taken mayo on the big day.A win yesterday could have ignited the next decade for the younger crew.As well as they played yesterday they made the semi final largely due to a fairly favourable draw.Other than cork they hadnt met a team in the top 10 unlike the rest of the teams left.

Quetions will arise of the o'se's,galvin and galvin etc but they have given so much their may be little left in the tank. When they leave kerry have an unenviable task replacing them. Shades of 1987-88 about it.

Fitzmaurice is a good manager though and will more than likely go back to schools and underage so kerry will recover soon from the recent setbacks.with dublin and tyrone likely to be the forces in the years ahead winning all irelands i going to be tough.

Dublin could get caught in the final.They're unlikely to dominate midfield and mayo should have the 70 minute energy that kerry didnt.Unlikely that they will get 3 goals like kerry did however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Well said Stoner, there's been an underlying motive to discredit the Dublin achievement yesterday. The back handed compliment of the fitter team won etc. With the exception of the peerless Cooper Dublin possess and played football every bit as good as Kerry. A team that conceded 3-3 in the opening 20 mins and restricted a Kerry team playing at the top of their game to only a further 8 points in 50 odd mins didn't do it thru sheer fitness alone. There was one moment in the 1st half where they pushed Kerry out from our 21 to back over the 50 with unfaltering defensive discipline.

The 2 Kerry goals were a defensive shambles, O'Brien ball watchin as O'Donoghue ran inside him not withstanding the quality of Coopers pass to Walsh. 2nd goal 3 Dublin defenders got sucked into cover Cooper leading to a simple give and go by Walsh who ran 30 yards for the return unchallenged. The peno wss a peno no doubts, other than one further chance that O'Donoghue blazed over that was the extent of Dublin frailty.

I know Colm O'Rourke was rather effusive in his praise of Dublin...but his comment regarding Dublin being the Brazil of Gaelic Football was based on his judgement of their football skills and not their fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    With respect to Dublin being bigger or stronger the program from the match yesterday had the heights and weights of both squads, and Dublin are over all shorter and lighter than Kerry.

Great game, too great teams, no need for too many kerry retirements, but some guys need to learn how to take a beating IMHO.

Sorry for annoying some of the regular kerry posters, I just get sick of the same old rubbish about fit vs skill.

I haven't read through the comments regarding fitness V skill (so sorry if i take you up wrong Stoner) but saying the fitter team won is just stating the blindingly obvious. Its where the greatest disparity existed between the teams. That doesn't mean Kerry have finer footballers. At least not for me it doesn't.

Faster, quicker, more agile, more endurance, whatever way you want to measure it Dublin are better. Thats not detracting from the win. Thats the game. Jack McCaffreys pace is an enviable ability that can't be coached and he's not alone in the Dublin team. Its not a back handed compliment to say his fitness is a problem for the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Best team in all respects won, I think most people accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Well said Stoner, there's been an underlying motive to discredit the Dublin achievement yesterday. The back handed compliment of the fitter team won etc. .
    Yeah, Sour grapes comes to mind, I even saw one prominent TV 'celebrity professor, financial economist' type who hails from Kerry post an old pic on twitter of some dub taxi driver giving the finger to another driver in O'Connell street, nothing to do with the match but shows how sick some are because the dubs won, the bomber was interviewed on radio last night & gave a very sporting & accurate account of the game, pity others are unable & unwilling to take a leaf from his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Missed The Sunday Game, what did they say about the eye gouging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

The Sunday game did not even mention the second yellow that J Cooper should have got. The eye gouging will not be aired by rte as it would mean a ban for a Dublin player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Still haven't seeing the match yet myself, But by all reading accounts it was great classic football game between two giants of our game, Yet you still have some people here who just can't take it that Kerry lost to a better all round team on the day,Get over yourselves and accept your defeat graciously otherwise you're coming across very childish and bitter,
    Good luck to the Dubs in final, unfortunately won't be here for that one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Gryire wrote: »
    The eye gouging will not be aired by rte as it would mean a ban for a Dublin player.
    Yeah, but if it was any other team that did it they'd have the player banned

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, but if it was any other team that did it they'd have the player banned

From anywhere I have read or listened to there is no video evidence. The player can't be banned based on a picture, though it looks bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

that was definate eyegouging on Colm Cooper by Rory O’Carroll, to say otherwise is denying the obvious and you really need to go to specsavers if you think it was not! There is clear video and photographic evidence. You do not have to be seriously injured either when eyegouged. O'Carroll will receive a one match ban on review. If he does not, he should or the G.A.A. are a joke! That sh#te rugby play has no place on a G.A.A. pitch!

Dublin should have had a at least one man, if not two, sent off for the last 10 minutes of the match for 1.) the delibrate trip by the number 4 Johnny Cooper on Colm Cooper. It would have been his second yellow card offence, so it then warranted a red 2). that was a deliberate kick back by McMahon on Colm Cooper. So it should have been a straight red! Clear video evidence. The fact he looks back gives it away. On review he should receive a ban too! That soccer sh#te has no place either on a G.A.A. pitch.

If you do not see these incidents for what they truly are and just fob them off as they are, you clearly cannot see the wood from the trees!

Galvin and Donaghy are not up to the Kerry standard. Donaghy hardly touched the ball. Galvin looks like a lost sheep on a fashion runway trying to seek attention!

Colm Cooper was 'Man of The Match'. He was hands down the best footballer on the pitch!

I agree! Colm cooper deserved to be man of the match!

Colm Cooper shouldn't have had to put up with it though. There were a lot of incidents where players should have got a yellow or be sent off. I was sure be a draw until nearer the last few minutes! Was outstanding to go up from 2 points to 7 points up in a matter of minutes. Brogan set it in motion lifted teams spirits and determination Kevin followed on as did the rest of the team.

Mayo still have a chance though I wouldn't rule them out! Though would say on fitness levels Dublin were the better team. Kerry started of very well at the start it was keeping up the pace was a struggle for them. Have to say was an exciting match and one of the best performances and match in a long time. That's what I call a game a football...

I can't believe the CCTV won't intervene on the Colm cooper incidents the abuse he got was uncalled for no need for it. The eye poke which there is a picture evidence of in yesterdays independent paper. then lifting him off the ground. If that was any other player on another team did that they be sent off!

Rightly so cluxton to get a yellow he had his neck around a kerry player.

Kerry learn a few lessons after this but Dublin are too strong for them.

Advertisement