Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest performer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's so odious and pretentious that he'd claim he was a martyr for the poor.

Let's judge him on what he has done, shall we? Saved millions of Africans, done so much in the fight against AIDS that if Freddie Mercury was just setting out in his career at the turn of the century there is a good chance he'd have a much longer career, and life, thanks to people like Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jesus

Mods please move to the atheist forum to make this more entertaining than in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

C'mon, it's GOTTA be Freddie. Now I don't have the hate that many do for Bono. I've seen U2 a couple of times and they put on a good show.

But seriously..............

C'mon, it's GOTTA be Freddie. Now I don't have the hate that many do for Bono. I've seen U2 a couple of times and they put on a good show.

But seriously..............

An amazing performer no doubt, but death does a lot to add to a legend. Similar with Cobain and Tupac. Axl Rose was a better performer than Mercury around that time, for what it's worth, but unlike Mercury, he's had the misfortune of fading into (semi) obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

An amazing performer no doubt, but death does a lot to add to a legend. Similar with Cobain and Tupac. Axl Rose was a better performer than Mercury around that time, for what it's worth, but unlike Mercury, he's had the misfortune of fading into (semi) obscurity.
    Nope. Yer just wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Let's judge him on what he has done, shall we? Saved millions of Africans, done so much in the fight against AIDS that if Freddie Mercury was just setting out in his career at the turn of the century there is a good chance he'd have a much longer career, and life, thanks to people like Bono.

Bono invented retro viral drugs?:confused:

He has done much to increase their availability, granted, but....what?!?

Bono invented retro viral drugs?:confused:

He has done much to increase their availability, granted, but....what?!?

There ya go, good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're all wrong. Of course.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Eduard Khil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm sure if Bono was gay and died of AIDS too everyone would be clamouring to put his name forward on this thread.

If Bono could:

1. Write meaningful lyrics as opposed to bunches of words that happen to rhyme

2. Have a bit of humility

3. Have a bit of presence all over the stage as opposed to standing in one spot, stomping a foot á la iPod commercial

4. Just for once, stop clapping them hands so no more kids in Africa keep dying and dying.,,

Then he'd be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saved millions of Africans

Name one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Big Tom by a country mile

kraggy wrote: »
    If Bono could:

1. Write meaningful lyrics as opposed to bunches of words that happen to rhyme

2. Have a bit of humility

3. Have a bit of presence all over the stage as opposed to standing in one spot, stomping a foot á la iPod commercial

4. Just for once, stop clapping them hands so no more kids in Africa keep dying and dying.,,

Then he'd be ok.

If Bono could sell more tickets than any frontman in the history of music. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Love Freddy myself but just speaking from my own age group Michael Jackson and Madonna at the peak of their powers in the late 80s and early 90s were just magical performers in their concerts. They drove crowds wild with their stage shows, honourable mentions go to Paul Mc Cartney, Mick Jagger, Prince and Pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Greatest performer of all time?

There can be only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'm sure if Bono was gay and died of AIDS too everyone would be clamouring to put his name forward on this thread.
    Bohemian rhapsody charted the year I was born so Queen music was fairly influential as I was growing up, I was ten when live aid aired and I made it my business to catch all of it, I remember Freddie when he was in his prime. Ironically I remember U2s performance at live aid too and that's right up there, probably Bono at his best but Freddie's death really affected me, it affected a lot of people and not just because of the nature of his death but because of how he lived right up until he died and how he practically composed his own requiem before he left.
    There are some other great performers out there and still going strong but few have had the opportunity to have such impact on so many. It was an era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

My Missus.....ahem.
    I agree

+ 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If Bono could sell more tickets than any frontman in the history of music. Oh wait...

And if by chance, we could all be literate adults and discuss the topic, we'd agree that the topic is about who the best frontman is instead of who sold more dates or records.

It's called "subjective discussion about individuals" versus bands, money and ego.

U2 is a company, group and collection of people. Not a single performer.

Even if he may think it's all about him, he's way down the list in terms of frontmen/performers.

(I admire their success as a group, but give me Feddie any day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Ian Curtis.

kraggy wrote: »
    And if by chance, we could all be literate adults and discuss the topic, we'd agree that the topic is about who the best frontman is instead of who sold more dates or records.

It's called "subjective discussion about individuals" versus bands, money and ego.

U2 is a company, group and collection of people. Not a single performer.

Even if he may think it's all about him, he's way down the list in terms of frontmen/performers.

(I admire their success as a group, but give me Feddie any day).

Go on then, i could do with a laugh. Name one band in which the frontman wasn't the main attraction (ticket seller).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Go on then, i could do with a laugh. Name one band in which the frontman wasn't the main attraction (ticket seller).

Guns n Roses (Slash)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Led Zeppelin,
    Pink (which ones Pink) Floyd
    Kraftwerk

Oh, you said one

You lot are all wrong.

Evil Knievel is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Van Halen.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Guns n Roses (Slash)

Errr, no. Back then Axl was the main man. Obviously, Slash is a much cooler dude than Axl so it appears that way now, but ummm no. You just have to look at Guns n Roses (minus all the original members except Axl) ticket sales Vs any Slash project to confirm that.

wil wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin,
    Pink (which ones Pink) Floyd
    Kraftwerk

Oh, you said one

Pink Floyd? No.

Led Zep, no way. Although that's your best pick, i give you that.

Kraftwerk, they had a frontman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

freddie mercury

osarusan wrote: »
    Van Halen.

Now yes, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Pink Floyd? No.

Led Zep, no way. Although that's your best pick, i give you that.

Kraftwerk, they had a frontman?
    I'm not sure what you are saying now.
    Floyd didnt really have a front man, or 3 different at various times but the band not the names sold.
    Zeppelin did more than Floyd, with Plant but Page and the band were as much of a draw.
    Kraftwerk had 4 back men

Add to that AC/DC Angus was probably the bigger pull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Michael Jackson without a shadow of a doubt. Everyone should watch the dangerous tour live in Bucharest!!!

Advertisement