Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife recommendation & where to buy.

Options
  • 16-08-2013 7:41pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had a lot of knives over the years but looking for some opinions.

I sold a lot of my collection in the last year or so. I kept the best for myself, and only realised i did not keep a decent skinning knife. Now i have one or two that'll do the trick, but frankly they are not ideal, and even if they were at the price of them i'm not going to use them.

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent knife, rubber gripped, fixed or folding, in the 35 - 55 Euro mark, and more importantly where can they be gotten. I've tried a few dealers over the last few weeks while looking at guns. The selections went from piss poor to good (but dear). At the moment i'm leaning towards a lovely Buck (very similar to one i used to own) at €130. It's a bit more than i'd like to pay but i much prefer it to it's cheaper cousin at €55 (purely aesthetics).

So lets have it. If you can provide brand, model, price and a definite location as to where they are available. Not Opinels. Already have one, but looking for something else.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Cass wrote: »

I sold a lot of my collection in the last year or so. I kept the best for myself, and only realised i did not keep a decent skinning knife. Now i have one or two that'll do the trick, but frankly they are not ideal, and even if they were at the price of them i'm not going to use them.

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent knife, rubber gripped, fixed or folding, in the 35 - 55 Euro mark, and more importantly where can they be gotten. I've tried a few dealers over the last few weeks while looking at guns. The selections went from piss poor to good (but dear). At the moment i'm leaning towards a lovely Buck (very similar to one i used to own) at €130. It's a bit more than i'd like to pay but i much prefer it to it's cheaper cousin at €55 (purely aesthetics).

So lets have it. If you can provide brand, model, price and a definite location as to where they are available. Not Opinels. Already have one, but looking for something else.

Thanks.

What about this little beauty
    Buck 428x Selector
    I just realised now that the skinning blade is detachable:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Looks like a fine knife.

The "removed" blade. Has it n upturned tip for skinning? Also are these no longer in production. Done a quick search and they appear to have been a limited run. 1990 to 1991.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Looks like a fine knife.

The "removed" blade. Has it n upturned tip for skinning? Also are these no longer in production. Done a quick search and they appear to have been a limited run. 1990 to 1991.

Yes it has, I bought it in Beirut in the Finnish PX in 1994,rarely used it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Thanks.

Not sure if they are sold in Ireland, but bought one of these 10 years ago for £20 definitely the best value in a knife.

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/gb/infer.asp?ac=112&trabajo=listar&pa=cuchillos-nieto&sg=cuchillos-nieto

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Have a look at www.basspro.com good section of stuff!

The only thing is u have to pay 45% of the items value then shipping then Customs Tax!Just have a look and see if you can order somewhere else otherwise the product might be 50usd but end up costing 90 or 100 euro! Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

http://www.agrussell.com/

huge selection of knives, and they give a comprehensive steel guide so you know exactly what you are buying,

don't cut yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

I know not what ur looking for but worth considering is a John Russell green river skinning knife , I've bought one and I can only describe it as out standing , they can still be got in the states and ere in oz,

I've been butchering for over 15 years in our family butcher and alway heard about these knives that there was nothing to touch them , and finally got one ere in oz .

If ya interested I can post up few links to where they can be ordered from .

There are difference models I just wanted something that looked old and original , but can be got in different grips , wood or plastic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cass,
    I have a few field knives, none of them expensive and then I have my professional kicthen knives (again not overly expensive €80-100 for some) but with all of the deer I have done to date, bar the first 2-3, I have found my self going to a small narrow 3inch blade knife known to chefs as an 'office knife' for all my skinning.
    It fits perfect in the hand, the blade is short enough to be covered by the first finger when working at stubborn spots. Once I split the hide on the legs I peel as much as possible from the carcass without the aid of a knife.
    These knives are similar in shape to caping knives. They can start anywhere from €5 and go up to over €100, but you'll pick up a good one for €15-20 depending on handle and design.
    By the way right size for cutting out the spincter muscle of any Sika I've grallocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

TriggerPL wrote: »
    I know not what ur looking for but worth considering is a John Russell green river skinning knife , I've bought one and I can only describe it as out standing , they can still be got in the states and ere in oz,

I've been butchering for over 15 years in our family butcher and alway heard about these knives that there was nothing to touch them , and finally got one ere in oz .

If ya interested I can post up few links to where they can be ordered from .

There are difference models I just wanted something that looked old and original , but can be got in different grips , wood or plastic .

I bought somthing similar to that about 20 years ago trough a friend of mine, a butcher. I never used it myself and gave it to a friend as at time he was more into stalking than me. He swore by it. Think blade was made from carbon steel which held nice edge. It was bought from a supplier to the butcher trade here in ireland, so if your interested thats where i,d start.

http://www.nisbets.ie/2/Kitchen-Chefs-Knives/c01c02.r10.1

This is a link to Nisbetts in Cork, it will show you a good selection from the practical to the fancy. I would recommend two brands Dick and Sabatier, both easy to maintain. Stay away from Global, steal is way too hard and ergonomics are sh1t.
    Don't dismiss the Vetranox cheep but a work horse.

• Advertisement

PL05 wrote: »
    I bought somthing similar to that about 20 years ago trough a friend of mine, a butcher. I never used it myself and gave it to a friend as at time he was more into stalking than me. He swore by it. Think blade was made from carbon steel which held nice edge. It was bought from a supplier to the butcher trade here in ireland, so if your interested thats where i,d start.

There were stopped being imported into Ireland buy company's because the regulations change and Health board didn like the way the handled got all stained when blood got on them !

And yes they have a carbon blade that if not maintained goes all difference colours of blue that personally I think just adds to the look .

But no deneying the edge ! Originally designed for skinning bear and buffalo I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

TriggerPL wrote: »
    There were stopped being imported into Ireland buy company's because the regulations change and Health board didn like the way the handled got all stained when blood got on them !

And yes they have a carbon blade that if not maintained goes all difference colours of blue that personally I think just adds to the look .

But no deneying the edge ! Originally designed for skinning bear and buffalo I think !

I know what you mean about steel, there is a bit of maintenance on it, but i think that particular type of steel tends to keep edge better, do you think?.

PL05 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about steel, there is a bit of maintenance on it, but i think that particular type of steel tends to keep edge better, do you think?.

Most definitely lad and it the sort of knife u just love to maintain and keep right !

A labour of love so to speak

The old carbon steel knives were the best, easy to maintain edge wise, some of the best knives I had were 'hand me downs' and seconds picked up around the place. The old Sabatier with thier grey blueish blades could be honed razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Hi Cass I have been using the black knife for two years now. it's a cheap Draper Expert PK4 the Brown handle one I bought from Boards.ie only used a couple of times markings say a Kongsberg Norway. what do you think they are cheap enough for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Maybe consider one of these? Good quality at a reasonable price but with a much better sheath than the original. Or buy from Heinnies with the original sheath for less than €30

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?170442-mora-companions-with-new-sheaths

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Or if you're willing to go a little bit more these get very good reviews. Seriously tempted myself..

http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/tyokalut/puukot/sissipuukko-m07/?nosto=nosto-category-en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Buy any knife you want once its a Martinni. http://www.marttiini.fi/en_GB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Firstly thanks to all for the replies. Some excellent suggestions, and a few great knives and sites.

However the problem was solved for me. My B-day is next week so the parents decided to give me my gift early to stop me buying a knife. They got me the Gerber Myth Deer field kit. Larger gut hooked knife with rubber grips, and a smaller fillet knife for fine cutting. All in a hard sheath with built in sharpener.

opplanet-gerber-myth-field-dress-kit-31-001159.jpg

I've always liked Gerber especially, their older stuff, and this one got good to great reviews so happy enough with it. Plus i'm not going to refuse a free knife.

Roll on next Sunday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 redonly

I also have a Gerber Myth Field dress knife kit excellent knives handy blade sharpner on the holder bought it at Centralsports in Co. Clare

• Advertisement
Advertisement