Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH PDF

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just for taught, What is it you want to achieve in making a complain? Surly your over the age too enlist so what do you want to achieve, I hope you do not make false complains on why you where discharge tainting a current serving soldier's career. As in my opinion it was not a political discharge.
    Isn't a 'political discharge' what happens when a politician opens their gob?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

endacl wrote: »
    Isn't a 'political discharge' what happens when a politician opens their gob?!?

Sorry i mean discharged over his political view's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Sorry i mean discharged over his political view's.

That is not one of the grounds for discharge within the DF, there is a finite list of about 24 grounds to discharge someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lillywhite2012

i am over the age to enlist but i was done and i know it

That is not one of the grounds for discharge within the DF, there is a finite list of about 24 grounds to discharge someone

Thats is what i am try to tell the OP. The OP reckons he was discharged over his political view's and wants to make a complaint

• Advertisement

read my origanal first posting please

i am over the age to enlist but i was done and i know it

But why wait 14 years to open your mouth? By now you must be at least 32 (if you were 18 at the time, I dont know how old you were)

But why wait 14 years to open your mouth? By now you must be at least 32 (if you were 18 at the time, I dont know how old you were)

The Blue's are in Government now lol, Better hurry up before the sinners are back.

I did not wait 14 years I made complaints under the foi act a number of years back. and its a thing that has bothered me giving i have had family whom served since and even before the foundation of the state and i always felt shafted U called my bluff and i responded to ur pm but u never answered mine I dont believe u were in that platoon

You are right I was not in that platoon.

I am not questioning your honesty, just curious as to why you now want to bring it to light, I am not sure what it would achieve?

Don't feel bound to answer that as your motives are your own :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

and i never knew their was a defence forces ombudsman and i will be updating u after i finish with them

You must not have been paying attention during basic training so. It's one of the first lectures you attend.

Their was no ombudsman back then I never knew one existed but i imagine it was brought in after a guy produced a thesis for his college
    course on bullying within the df and i can tell u that report made front page news

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

You need to click this link:

http://www.odf.ie/

Thats the website for the defence forces ombudsman

call their number once you've familiarised yourself with their website and role.

01 6633222

Its the best way for you to take this anywhere. posting up here will not really help as we cannot really comment on something that we weren't privvy to and in fairness, although you feel hard done by, there are always two sides to every story so you need to find out the defence forces take on your discharge.

All the best, I hope you get some form of closure on this issue.

Thanks lad I was looking at their webpage and It seems I cannot complain cos it was before 2005,But I will highlight whenever i can cos i know I was done and i know from talking to old sweats that the army at that time that the army hated fine gael and i can look anyone in the face and say the reason i was done was my political beliefs

Thanks lad I was looking at their webpage and It seems I cannot complain cos it was before 2005,But I will highlight whenever i can cos i know I was done and i know from talking to old sweats that the army at that time that the army hated fine gael and i can look anyone in the face and say the reason i was done was my political beliefs

Ok. What did it say for reason of discharge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

In all my years in the Army I never heard as much as a whisper about politics, let alone asked for my political views.
    Soldiers despise politicians,all of them, regardless of Party or be they be Independent, and I suspect, the feeling is (or was) mutual.

During my 28 yrs service we had many Governments, and many Min of Def...all of them gob****es, of every Party , that didn't know their arse from their elbow, a Tank from an APC, a Mortar from a .5 HMG, nor did any one of them gaie a rat's ass about the soldiers welfare, pay, food, (we were fed horsemeat before it became fashionable) equipment, or living conditions, but then again, maybe they were only reflecting the feelings of the general population, which, in my experience, was fairly similar.
    The best Minister was Paddy Donegan (FG) and the worst was from the PDs. Now there was a particular fool amongst fools, who demanded that no soldier should be visible in Athlone as he passed through the Town from his home in the wild west to Dail Eireann. Maybe this is why they built the bypass in case his eyes be offended by the uniform?
    Another bugbear of his lordship was that the Military Police signs on our MP Vehicles should be in Irish; because during the Papal visit to Knock he got 'upset' (allegedly) to see these signs in the language of the auld enemy, enough to issue an Edict from on high.. to change the offending signs, fortwith.
    Paddy Donegan was a bit different. Paddy understood the soldier, and was man enough to take note of the ****-end of the stick the soldier was getting from successive Governments & we got some new equipt during his term. Not great stuff, but it was a start. Mind you, some of the 'stuff' was a disaster, ie, the Sanglas motorcycles, the infamous 'banana' combat boots and (the one size fits all) Hungarian steel helmets (flowerpots) but our Def Budget increased after that, but not by a whole lot.

Anyway, getting back to the OP. I don't believe for a second that somebody got hounded out of the Army in that fashion, for that reason. People were Not Finally Approved (NFA) for a myriad of reasons...we had one chap who couldn't hold the right step for ten paces, but could hold the wrong one all day. (NFA) Another guy (ex-FCA) thought he knew more than the Instructor . He didn't, and was also NFA.

Are u saying to me that during the 60s 70s and 80s that Dr fitzgerald and Alan dukes were not saying that this country did not need an army. Whilst Charlie Haughey was not saying that every country needed an Army TRUE OR FALSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

If you are asking me what politicians said or thought back then, well, I've no recollection of them saying anything of the sort.
    Charley was too busy pandering to the 'other army' and feathering his own nest while at the same time boasting about being "an officer in the Defence Forces." (The little crook was in the FCA at some stage so he would be an expert at all things military)
    It might suit some folks to attempt to ''lable" the Army as favouring one political party over another but there's no truth or evidence to support that theory.

yeah ur right their lad No evidence THE ARMY WERE ALWAYS GOOD AT THAT , and as for Charlie, Sure it was not long ago that all these lads who could reach deep into their pockets were saying He had done great things for the country and if U know something u should keep ur mouth shut about it, Well look whats happened since and when a young lad speaks his mind and could see the country was ****ed he was done , AND he never claimed to be military It was his father who was an army officer who died young and Charlie thus availed of a charitable education in the brothers and like all the other liberal fianna fail crowd abused it to leave this country ****ed

You appear to bear quite a few grudges which unfortunately has left you rather bitter.

To be honest, you spent a few weeks in the DF 14 years ago and have made some spurious claims against what you think perceive to be a conspiracy against you.

While someone may have casually asked you about your political beliefs I am pretty sure it was contextually relevant at the time. I can categorically tell you that you were not discharged as a result of this belief!

My best advice to you is to just put your experience behind you and move on.

• Advertisement

i know theirs people out their whom know what Im saying is true And its very hard to move on when its ur childhood ambition to join the army and its wiped away for nothing and i will prove it Ul hear about this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I knew guys who were discharged for selling drugs, forging LA.30 entries, stealing/selling kit and repeated absense.

On the other hand i know a guy who pointed a loaded weapon at his C.O. and nothing was done about it, while another chap was an active in his local FG Cumann without any censure.

The only discharge i ve ever heard about due to political beliefs was an RDF corporal from Kilkenny a couple of years ago who was a strong SF head.

Honestly i think you need to let this go because it looks to me like its consuming you and that aint a good thing.

Advertisement