Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people who go volunteering abroad doing so for selfish reasons?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a bit of a rant but I have to get it of my chest. I have just met the most self absorbed selfish girl I have ever met in my life! I was travelling abroad last month in Africa and for one week I worked in an aids clinic. There where 7 other volunteers there in total and 2 of them were Irish. One of the Irish girls (they came over separately) was civil enough on occasion but sometimes was often cold and sometimes rude and abrasive.

This girl wouldn't make any effort to comfort the kids with HIV or hold their hand or even play with them. I have since found out that she has deleted all other members of the volunteer group on facebook after we all went out of our way to lend her money and help her aclimatise. She has even ranted on facebook about how much she helped the kids and how this will help her career as a teacher!

This girl shouldn't have been volunteering it goes without saying. She wanted something that looked good on a CV and that was it. Anyway apologies rant over!!

Do most people volunteer abroad for selfish reasons?

Title changed to "Are people who go volunteering abroad doing so for selfish reasons"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Me.

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That c*nt in the mirror. I always have to do what he wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

smash wrote: »
    That c*nt in the mirror. I always have to do what he wants!

He's in your mirror too? Oh I hate that guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sierra, smash and Teddy I think the person in the mirror might be the same guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sierra, smash and Teddy I think the person in the mirror might be the same guy!

Probably. Seen him one night Ridin me Missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

TeddyTedson

Probably. Seen him one night Ridin me Missus.

Sorry about that Dodderangler she wore that outfit I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I know this is a bit of a rant but I have to get it of my chest. I have just met the most self absorbed selfish girl I have ever met in my life! I-

God, it's all "me, me, me" from you, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I know this is a bit of a rant but I have to get it of my chest. I have just met the most self absorbed selfish girl I have ever met in my life! I was travelling abroad last month in Africa and for one week I worked in an aids clinic.

Self absorbed ?

Edit: So it wasnt only me that noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

'She has since deleted us from facebook'

Horrifying stuff.

• Advertisement

God, it's all "me, me, me" from you, isn't it?

Well no It's clearly "I, I ,I" as you highlighted!

longshanks wrote: »
    'She has since deleted us from facebook'

Horrifying stuff.

It's more the fact that she thought of pretending to help aids victims as a way to progress her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I can be quite selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Mick. He's very, very self-absorbed. Unbelievable really. I met him once, yeah. What's that? Ah sure, ye'll have to take my word for it.

It's more the fact that she thought of pretending to help aids victims as a way to progress her career.

Aids shmaids, people always put that volunteering crap on their c.v.

You'll probably do it too, won't you?

She was just upfront about it.

Aids shmaids, people always put that volunteering crap on their c.v.

You'll probably do it too, won't you?

She refused to hug or play with any of the kids or even to hold their hand. It's a horrible way to progress your CV. I'm actually going to complain about her to the charity involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I was thinking this!

I admire her honesty :)

I was thinking this!

I admire her honesty :)

Sorry La la where am I missing something. Is it not wrong to volunteer with kids with HIV and then refuse any physical contact with them or even to play with them?

Eddy it's too easy to wind you up, have a coke and a smile and chill the fuck out.

Sorry La la where am I missing something. Is it not wrong to volunteer with kids with HIV and then refuse any physical contact with them or even to play with them?

You post this in AH and expect real honest answers!

In all seriousness she did her volunteering to "further" her career in her eyes, she didn't go for the same reasons you did!

She's self absorbed and selfish, there's nothing you can do about that now! You don't have to deal with her again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd call her useless as opposed to self-absorbed. Sounds like she chickened out at the last minute when the reality kicked in.

You post this in AH and expect real honest answers!

In all seriousness she did her volunteering to "further" her career in her eyes, she didn't go for the same reasons you did!

She's self absorbed and selfish, there's nothing you can do about that now! You don't have to deal with her again!

I do expect real answers but I thought most people where horrified by that? The other volunteers are in shock by it and so am I. Now judging from the posts it seems like she's not an a-typical Irish!

It's not the furthering her career that annoys me. Its the blatant hatred and phobia of people with aids that annoys me! If it was teaching then I can understand that but why traumatise kids for your career?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I do expect real answers but I thought most people where horrified by that? The other volunteers are in shock by it and so am I. Now judging from the posts it seems like she's not an a-typical Irish!

It's not the furthering her career that annoys me. Its the blatant hatred and phobia of people with aids that annoys me! If it was teaching then I can understand that but why traumatise kids for your career?

Hatred? You really think she hated them?

Hatred? You really think she hated them?

Yes I do. Every kid who went looking for a hug off her was pushed away or dissmissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My dad died a number of years ago. A few friends came to the funeral, one of my friends had been engaged to a friend of my brother previously, they had split up a few years at this stage and both had new partners but this was the first time they were going to be face to face since the breakup.

The morning of the funeral, while we were all in bits, while I was trying to be strong for my younger siblings and looking after my daughter who was devestated, I got a call from my friend basically asking me to talk her through what kind of clothes she should wear and what makeup she should go with so as to look amazing for her ex but so not amazing she didn't look like she had tried too hard.

I couldn't believe it. She spent the entire day making nasty comments about the ex and his new partner and never once asked how I was doing.

When I had a miscarriage a few years later and was very low emotionally she decided that was the perfect time to send me a photo of her holding her newborn nephew. I ended our friendship shortly after. To this day she still can't understand why I'm no longer interested in being friendly with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Has the name of this thread been changed or am I going insane?

Has the name of this thread been changed or am I going insane?

Thank feck it wasn't only me who noticed this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

She was probably naive when she volunteered. We weren't there, so it impossible for us to have the same emotional response.

Maybe she thinks you're all do-gooders. People are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some do but at least the volunteering is being done, no natter what the motive, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Title changed to "Are people who go volunteering abroad doing so for selfish reasons"?

Advertisement