Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT'S WRONG WITH LEGALIZING POLYGAMY OR INCESTUOUS MARIAGE .

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

I never see anyone make an argument in favour of polygamy, incest etc. except as a counter point to gay marriage. It's fallacious.

Incest is attraction, nobody is only attracted to their relations, they can be attracted to others. Polygamy is a form of marriage, there aren't people out there who could only be attracted to multiple wives. LGB is a sexual orientation, the majority are only attracted to one sex.

Each of these things should be debated on their own merits and not a thinly veiled attack on gay marriage and its supporters.

It's inherently flawed to say, we can't give women the vote because if we do, they will demand better wages than men. Everyone agrees the first statement is right and it would be wrong to deny women the vote despite the potential and never realised negative consequences. Appeal to potential negative consquence isn't an effective argument.

It's the same as I posted first, if I argued back in the day that we can't allow inter-racial marriage because it will result in incestuous and polyamorous marriage. How many people are going to now oppose inter-racial marriage due to the fear of incestuous and polygamous relationships gaining recognition?

If somebody wants to argue in favor of incest and polygamy, do so but it's fallacious to thnk that everyone who supports gay marriage must now support every other change. It's been decades of campaigning and combatting negative stereotype to get to this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Keith300

1ZRed wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is that polygamous marriage, and even incestuous marriage, is always tacked onto gay marriage. They're not related. It's not my argument to deflect back, even though it's always thrown out a by those against gay marriage as a reason to oppose it.

Let's just deal with gay marriage and take it on it's own, and then after we can discuss polygamous and incestuous marriage by their own merit and deem them appropriate or not on a case by case basis using logic.

Why muddy the discussion with all these unrelated issues? Gay marriage and polygamous marriage have nothing at all in common.

They have one thing in common, both are subject of prejudice.

People should be allowed marry whoever they want so long as both are consenting adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

1ZRed wrote: »
    I'm of the mindset that I don't care what consenting adults do either, but would there be a limit on how many partners they could marry? Could they have 10 or 12 patterns, or more? I'd imagine it'd be a headache to regulate and keep track of, not to mention divorce would be an absolute nightmare.

That one hell of a jump to make but if you can find 10 or more people who love you and each other your one lucky guy.

But regulation wise that something that they would have to deal with if it ever gets to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

If polygamy was legalised, I could make a fortune as an Irish visa factory. €500 for a marriage and do the paperwork to get them a residency card in Ireland, and cheerio.

And with gay marriage legalised, I would double my market!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Just because you didn't get the answers you were looking for elsewhere on boards does not mean you can then try another forum for support.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement