Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT'S WRONG WITH LEGALIZING POLYGAMY OR INCESTUOUS MARIAGE .

Options
  • 15-08-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have submitted this thread in other forum but not gotten satisfactories responses from supporters of Gay Mariage who refuse the same status for other persons who have other behaviors.
    They did not support the parallels between legalizing Gay Mariage and polygamus mariage in the same logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Erinfan wrote: »
    They did not support the parallels between legalizing Gay Mariage and polygamus mariage in the same logic.
    they did, you just didn't like their answers

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Ha ha hahaha.

Oh wait, you're probably serious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'D RESPOND TO YOUR QUESTION, BUT MY EARS ARE RINGING FROM YOUR SHOUTING AND I CAN'T CONCENTRATE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I suppose realistically as long as its between consenting adults there is no problem really although having children in an incestuous relationship could be an issue of contention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Simples - it causes people to type in all uppercase caps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

...for other persons who have other behaviors.

Homosexuality is not a behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Go ahead and ride your sister then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Upper case title again OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Incestuous marriages?

Sure we have enough of that carry on over in Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The same thing that's wrong with legalizing gay marriage: some people don't like others doing things they don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Erinfan

pharmaton wrote: »
    they did, you just didn't like their answers

They argument is that it is not the same matter .

They took the example of legalizing alcoohol is not the licence for other drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

I assume the OP also opposed inter-racial marriage back in the day. Because allowing inter-racial marriage will surely lead to the recognition of beastiality, incestuous and polygamous marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sleepy wrote: »
    The same thing that's wrong with legalizing gay marriage: some people don't like others doing things they don't want to do.

Well, not exactly. The whole incestuous relationship thing has the down side of genetic issues with offspring. Don't get that with gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

They argument is that it is not the same matter .

They took the example of legalizing alcoohol is not the licence for other drugs.

I didn't sleep much because one of my neighbours decided to have a party til stupid am and I had to be up at 8 so my eyes are having difficulty reading what you've written. There are other threads here on the topic though some recently enough maybe you could have a look for them and chew on it for a while. (Might take a while to get through though it was fairly hefty)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The OP wants to marry his numerous female relatives I guess... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The Lanisters ......... King Joffrey

Close the thread now.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Keith300

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well, not exactly. The whole incestuous relationship thing has the down side of genetic issues with offspring. Don't get that with gay marriage.

It only causes health issues for the child if both parents have the faulty gene. By the same logic we should ban women in their 40's having children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Whilst I suspect the OP may be using this as a thinly-veiled attack against gay marriage, I actually think there is a case to be made here.

Marriage is by nature discriminatory and affords privileges to certain groups. Gay marriage won't change this bar widening the net a little. I actually don't have a problem with polygamous relationships and I can't see why cohabiting siblings in a non-sexual relationship shouldn't be entitled to the same rights as a married couple (of any gender combination).

What I'd prefer would be for the state to stop getting involved in people's personal relationships and actually properly tackle adoption, guardianship and next of kin laws instead of relying on marriage to tick every box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Misread the title somehow as "polygamy or polyamourous" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Keith300 wrote: »
    It only causes health issues for the child if both parents have the faulty gene. By the same logic we should ban women in their 40's having children.

Depends on the gay marriage, take male-male for instance...
    They would adopt or only one can be the donor of sperm for the child if that was the route taken.

Potentially incestuous couples could choose to have children in the same way if there was fear of implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Wouldn't be in favour of an incestuous marriage. That's a complete No No.

Polygamy is permitted in some religions like Mormon and Islam AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

The difference being that polygamy and incest are a lifestyle choice and things like race and sexuality are genetic and therefore should not be subject to opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What about gay incestuous polygamous marriages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

So is your sister any good in bed OP?? Is she as game as you seem to be? Would I have to pretend to be you if I were to get some freaky time with her?

If so you may need to teach me some of your freaky mannerisms and how to do your accent.

I am only doing this to save your soul!!

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The thing that annoys me is that polygamous marriage, and even incestuous marriage, is always tacked onto gay marriage. They're not related. It's not my argument to deflect back, even though it's always thrown out a by those against gay marriage as a reason to oppose it.

Let's just deal with gay marriage and take it on it's own, and then after we can discuss polygamous and incestuous marriage by their own merit and deem them appropriate or not on a case by case basis using logic.

Why muddy the discussion with all these unrelated issues? Gay marriage and polygamous marriage have nothing at all in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Polygamy marriage, like homosexual marriage, should be legal. I don't care what consenting adults do nor should I/other should prevent them from doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jester252 wrote: »
    Polygamy marriage, like homosexual marriage, should be legal. I don't care what consenting adults do nor should I/other should prevent them from doing it.

I'm of the mindset that I don't care what consenting adults do either, but would there be a limit on how many partners they could marry? Could they have 10 or 12 patterns, or more? I'd imagine it'd be a headache to regulate and keep track of, not to mention divorce would be an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

mirekb wrote: »
    The difference being that polygamy and incest are a lifestyle choice and things like race and sexuality are genetic and therefore should not be subject to opinion.

While I don't have any particular opinion here, your point is somewhat spurious.

Marriage is the lifestyle choice that is subject to contention in all three scenarios, the question is which groups should be allowed avail of it.

For example an incestuous couple may rightly make the point that their love for each other is just as valid as any gay couple and/ or they didn't choose who they fell in love with. In effect love isn't a lifestyle choice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement