Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surgeons hands.

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

How come surgeons are so particular about washing their hands when they are covered by gloves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OCD I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not an issue unless latex them off, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

kneemos wrote: »
    How come surgeons are so particular about washing their hands when they are covered by gloves.

To wash off excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Because you can never be too careful? o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Just in case of further infection. If you're having a serious OP, it's obsoletely vital you decrease the chance of infection as much as possible for your patient.

Dunno bout you, but if my surgeon finished off a messy breakfast roll and only licked his fingers clean before he got to work I'd be a bit concerned.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Dunno bout you, but if my surgeon finished off a messy breakfast roll and only liked his fingers clean before he got to work I'd be a bit concerned.
    So would I, but it'd have nothing to do with hygiene!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

I'd be concerned if my surgeon didn't start his day with a messy breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Hospital staff washing their hands often? Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just in case of further infection. If you're having a serious OP, it's obsoletely vital you decrease the chance of infection as much as possible for your patient.

Dunno bout you, but if my surgeon finished off a messy breakfast roll and only liked his fingers clean before he got to work I'd be a bit concerned.

Wouldn't expect them to have red sauce dripping off his sleeves but they really go at the scrubbing thing with a vengence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Now that I think of it your dentist doesn't scrub up before each patient and he's got his hands in your mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

These are the sort of questions my little girl asks. My boy not so much anymore.
    I've checked, she is asleep so I don't think she posted this.
    But I'll write down the best answers so I'm armed when she does ask.

Who says there isnt a practical benefit to scouring the threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Now that I think of it your dentist doesn't scrub up before each patient and he's got his hands in your mouth.

My dentist when I was a kid never wore gloves. Was that the style at the time or just his personal preference do you think? The memory is an unsettling one.

They wear gloves, but the thing is, if germs get in your mouth that way your body is designed to kill him. Salvia in the mouth, mucus in the lungs, acid in the stomach.

If you went and had surgery on your heart you're opening up an avenue for potentially lethal bacteria which can then bypass the majority of the body's natural defence mechanisms, as this is a new, direct route for them. All that's left to defend the body is your immune system.. and team actimel. So really, you have to minimise the risk of serious infection as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

It's because gloves are not a foolproof barrier, there is the possibility of microscopic holes that pathogens could pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Dentists should wash their hands before putting on gloves, every health professional should. There is a small amount of research on poor hand hygiene associated with use of gloves, will try and post if I can find it.

Just in case your question was serious OP!

Some bedtime reading...

http://www.who.int/surgery/publications/BestPracticeProtocolsCPSafety07.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If someone came into your house and didn't wipe their shoes dirtying the place up I guess you won't be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Short sensible answer (why isn't there an emoticon for that)
    It's all to do with reducing the chance of cross contamination and reducing the germ load brought in to the operating theatre.
    Gloves can get nicked or punctured and need to be changed during operations.
    Surgeons hand could be deep in a wound so arms need scrubbing too.
    I think in some situations they may double glove.

Infection control is a big problem and I know a few people who have had serious infection complications after relatively minor surgical procedures.

endacl wrote: »
    So would I, but it'd have nothing to do with hygiene!

:eek:
    You're right, it would be pretty scab if he didn't give you a bite at least

wil wrote: »
    Short sensible answer (why isn't there an emoticon for that)
    There is:

:rolleyes: + :eek: x :o / ;) = 'Short sensible answer.

• Advertisement

You're right, it would be pretty scab if he didn't give you a bite at least
    After a breakfast roll, the last thing I'd want is the 'durty fecker' biting me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Wouldn't expect them to have red sauce dripping off his sleeves but they really go at the scrubbing thing with a vengence.

I did a thing once with one of the cleaning chemical crowd once. They put an infrared gel on your hands before a break for tea. Everyone headed off for tea, a smoke and a piss. When we came back, they showed us our hands under an black light. The amount of gel (representing germs) still on peoples hands was scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd be concerned if my surgeon didn't start his day with a messy breakfast roll.

I'd be concerned if I had a surgeon...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Worked in a hospital for over a year, you'd be surprised, or not, about the amount of malpractice that goes..

Doctors wearing gowns down into the canteen to pick up a coffee or go on lunch, blood ridden crocs being worn all over the shop... and in actual case, down from the theatre to the shop in the lobby, and elsewhere. Saw a doctor in full gown and gear jump in his car to get to a call in a nearby hospital... casual stuff really.

Worked in a hospital for over a year, you'd be surprised, or not, about the amount of malpractice that goes..

Doctors wearing gowns down into the canteen to pick up a coffee or go on lunch, blood ridden crocs being worn all over the shop... and in actual case, down from the theatre to the shop in the lobby, and elsewhere. Saw a doctor in full gown and gear jump in his car to get to a call in a nearby hospital... casual stuff really.
    Any job becomes routine and habit once you've been doing it long enough, I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

They wear gloves, but the thing is, if germs get in your mouth that way your body is designed to kill him. Salvia in the mouth, mucus in the lungs, acid in the stomach.

I don't like germs, or dentists either for that matter.......but its a bit much to kill him for fixing your teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Good question OP because latex gloves are so resilient the only thing that could damage them would be extremely sharp instruments, which are never found in a operating theater; let alone in the hands of a surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All I say is, thank you Semmelweis!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Could be something along the same lines of condoms?

remember kids only 99.9% effective.

so if the glove rips/slips or has tiny flaws then i think its better to be safe than sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ahjaysis

Medical workers are supposed to wash their hands before and after interaction with each patient. Prevents the spread of infection. And also destroys their poor skin.

Advertisement