Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slapping/Smacking Children:Regional variations in practice and acceptability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Exactly. I got the 'odd slap' from my parents, I can't say it was ever undeserved and it certainly didn't do me any harm

I'll be the judge of that, given time you could still 'go postal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

9959 wrote: »
    I'll be the judge of that, given time you could still 'go postal'.

SMACKING = NASCENT SERIAL KILLING

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Violence begets violence. If you shout at and slap a child you are only teaching them that the best way to deal with problems is to shout and hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Violence begets violence. If you shout at and slap a child you are only teaching them that the best way to deal with problems is to shout and hit.

Not really, I got slapped for minor offences like acting up in the shop as a kid or if I was being bold at home. It meant the next time I was acting up a threat of a slap would be a deterrent and make me stop.

The next time I wouldn't even bother because I knew I would get given out to, slapped and not get my way.

Obviously the above is over time. I'm not talking about getting beaten with a poker or anything, just a slap.

I see parents debating with 3 year olds and I feel sad for these people.

Would I ever hit another person - hells no. Slapping to discipline a kid I would see as sometimes necessary aspect of being a responsible parent.

A lot of my friends got a slap every now and then growing up. And not just from their own parent either.

I was sitting on the wall outside my house calling my younger neighbour name. I was about 10 but I was being a dick.

My neighbour was crying and a man passing told me to stop.

I told him to f""k off and he slapped my face. I was in tears and went in home parents asked me what was wrong and I said nothing because I would have gotten another slap for saying f""k off and grounded for my behaviour.

Did I tell grown ups I didn't know to f""k off after that? No way.

These are my own opinions, feel free to disagree. I won't slap you or anything just for disagreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't see the issue.

I was slapped as a child and through my early teens.

Didn't do me any harm and I mean that sincerely. In fact it taught me a few things !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

biko wrote: »
    Could you not simply have asked him to back up his statement instead?

How could he back up his statement? Statistics? Double blind studies? Anecdotal evidence? All I said was that if the poster thought about the cliche he posted he'd quickly realise that it's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

How could he back up his statement? Statistics? Double blind studies? Anecdotal evidence? All I said was that if the poster thought about the cliche he posted he'd quickly realize that it's nonsense.

Well for one i thought your original comment was nonsense, you branded slapping as a criminal offence, my parents slapped me as a kid, there parents slapped them, any related parents to me slapped there kids does that make them all criminals. I don't condone baiting a child but i believe slapping is a good method of discipline and just be cause you don't believe in it doesn't give you the right to insult how others bring up there kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

anncoates wrote: »
    Have two boys and they can be a real handful. Not really a 'smacker' but have given a smack on the arse or hand, before, albeit not much.

Don't really have to do it these days as they are at the age where deprivation of treats or confiscation of possessions is effective.

Thing about these debates is that no matter how aggrieved people get and no matter how much agenda-driven evidence is presented - and no matter how much passionate conflation with actual/extreme violence is implied - the simple fact remains that for every person here that claims that light physical chastisement has had an adverse effect or leads to violent outlook, there are just as many people for whom the exact opposite is the case.

On a side topic: the idea that modern kids are somehow more out of control/cheekier/wilful than previous generations is just a reverse-nostalgia confection.

I think that is well balanced and reasonable.

My interest was the regional aspect. I think that in some places it is seemingly more socially acceptable to give yer kids a right good whallop with no apparent concern for the force with which it is dealt or the place it is done: ie in public, and in cases, its just angry parents losing it. That to me is assault.

Humiliation seems to play a part of the punishment for the child and a public display of strict authoritarian parenthood (as a "proper" thing) on the part of the parent. And, public smacking seems to be pretty common in the north.

As I say, my 11 year old daughters reaction to seeing forceful smacking in public was the thing that made me think. But I'm again refocusing on the regional acceptability of public, often forceful slapping.

Dfmnoc wrote: »
    Well for one i thought your original comment was nonsense, you branded slapping as a criminal offence

Here's my original comment:
    Showing your naivety there. They were saying the same thing 3000 years ago.

It always amazes me how people came blithely trot out such rubbish without engaging the smallest part of their brain.

Where specifically in that comment did I brand slapping as a criminal offence? I merely responded to your statement that:
    Majority of kids are out of control these days.

That's simply not true and is a nonsensical cliche. Yes, kids might need a VERY rare slap across the back of the legs, but saying that the majority are out of control doesn't even come close to making sense.

Where specifically in that comment did I brand slapping as a criminal offence? I merely responded to your statement that:

Originally Posted by Mr Benevolent

I'm not trying to stir up a debate on child slapping as its totally, deplorable, unacceptable and I believe, a potential criminal act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dfmnoc wrote: »

Originally Posted by Kettleson

I'm not trying to stir up a debate on child slapping as its totally, deplorable, unacceptable and I believe, a potential criminal act.

I think you may be getting the names slightly confused there. That's not how you spell Mr. Benevolent.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I think you may be getting the names slightly confused there. That's not how you spell Mr. Benevolent.

My apology. He edited the original post had to get it off another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

And you have solid evidence to back this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Apologies if confusion caused. And indeed I would believe that some child physical punishment could justifiably be classified as a criminal assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Giving your child a small smack is not the end of the world and parents shouldn't be judged for doing it. However, it doesn't always work, epsiecally when the parents don't have a good disciplinary fountain to begin with and uses it every time to correct their child.
    Slapping in my opinion is for when nothing else works.

What, pray tell, is a "disciplinary fountain"?????

Think he/she means foundation lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Firstly, I am a father of 3 kids all under 10, im not a fan of smacking, but there are times when the naughty step, bold corner, removing items (xbox, Nintendo ds, etc) just doesnt cut it.
    there are a few very rare times that a smack for me is required. any one that has kids will probably agree with me on that. those who dont have kids just wont understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

It's a variation on the '**** storm'.

It involves pissing from a height on unruly children.

Its frowned upon now.

But what isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

cgh wrote: »
    Firstly, I am a father of 3 kids all under 10, im not a fan of smacking, but there are times when the naughty step, bold corner, removing items (xbox, Nintendo ds, etc) just doesnt cut it.
    there are a few very rare times that a smack for me is required. any one that has kids will probably agree with me on that. those who dont have kids just wont understand.

What would hitting yourself achieve ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

MaxWig wrote: »
    It's a variation on the '**** storm'.

It involves pissing from a height on unruly children.

Its frowned upon now

But what isn't?

I'd imagine from below too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

bumper234 wrote: »
    Think he/she means foundation lol

What's a foundation fountain???

9959 wrote: »
    What's a foundation fountain???

Hmmmm not sure if serious?

Maybe try disciplinary foundation? :rolleyes:

cgh wrote: »
    there are a few very rare times that a smack for me is required. any one that has kids will probably agree with me on that.

I personally would say I agree with you on the above, but not necessarily because I now have a child. I always thought that way, before I ever had children.

those who dont have kids just wont understand.

I think that's more to do with the person than it is to do with the fact whether they're a parent or not.

As someone else in the thread said - "Violence begets violence". No it doesn't, that again is dependent on the person. There are numerous other factors that will affect a child's development, including being shown understanding and tolerance from people who themselves are not parents, but won't let a child rip the piss either.

EDIT: One thing I HAVE noticed since becoming a parent is there's never any shortage of people to tell you "you're doing it wrong" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't have kids so I "don't understand" I'm sure. But smacking your kid is just lazy parenting.

Kids vary greatly, there are some very well behaved and some who I don't envy parents having to deal with.

Regardless, violence should never be the answer. What are you teaching your kids when you can just smack someone across the head when they do something bold? Fúcking ridiculous if you ask me.

Our parents never hit us but would be tough on us. Take away toys if we were bold, ground us from partys etc. It did the trick.

I don't have kids so I "don't understand" I'm sure. But smacking your kid is just lazy parenting.

Kids vary greatly, there are some very well behaved and some who I don't envy parents having to deal with.

Regardless, violence should never be the answer. What are you teaching your kids when you can just smack someone across the head when they do something bold? Fúcking ridiculous if you ask me.

Our parents never hit us but would be tough on us. Take away toys if we were bold, ground us from partys etc. It did the trick.

See there's the thing, most people when they think "violence", will think of a parent beating a child. Giving a child a smack isn't violence, not to my mind anyway, but to your mind it would be, having never experienced violence as I would understand it.

There's a difference between beating a child within an inch of their life, which is violence, and a clip round the ear to shock them into copping on, which is discipline.

One thing I HAVE noticed since becoming a parent is there's never any shortage of people to tell you "you're doing it wrong" :pac:

Everyone had their own opinion on parenting, and everyone is right/wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

See there's the thing, most people when they think "violence", will think of a parent beating a child. Giving a child a smack isn't violence, not to my mind anyway, but to your mind it would be, having never experienced violence as I would understand it.

There's a difference between beating a child within an inch of their life, which is violence, and a clip round the ear to shock them into copping on, which is discipline.

But it is violence :confused:

Violence is a sliding scale. Beating the living daylights out of a child is obviously hugely different to giving them one smack around the head. Doesn't make the latter right at all.

This is the definition of violence I googled:

"Behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

I would say if you're smacking a child to punish them you're intending to hurt them enough so that it sticks in their mind what they did is wrong.

I actually don't get shocked if I see it, and I know parents who do it and friends my age who would've experienced it and it didn't traumatize them for life. I think it would be the rare number of cases that it would affect someone psychologically to get the odd smack at the back of the head.

But even still, I can't see how people think this is an acceptable form of behaviour. :confused: You wouldn't go around smacking your work colleagues for messing up, or your mate who you found out cheated on his girlfriend, you don't go and slap him across the face. It's not an acceptable method of teaching a child IMO and it certainly isn't necessary given the amount of people (myself as an example) who were disciplined in other ways that worked.

But it is violence :confused:

Violence is a sliding scale. Beating the living daylights out of a child is obviously hugely different to giving them one smack around the head. Doesn't make the latter right at all.

This is the definition of violence I googled:

"Behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

That's the dictionary definition of violence though. If you also google the dictionary definition of a human being (I did -
    a member of any of the races of Homo sapiens; person; man, woman, or child), it doesn't tell you much either, because it lacks context.

There will be people that will say there's no difference between a smack and belting a child, they're both as bad as each other. People's individual definitions are based on their own perceptions, which is based on a number of factors, the biggest one being their experience, experience influenced by their own childhood.

I would say if you're smacking a child to punish them you're intending to hurt them enough so that it sticks in their mind what they did is wrong.

I've never smacked my child thinking "You'll remember this the next time you think about acting up". I know you referred to it as lazy parenting, but I can only speak for myself when I say that in MY opinion, the lazier parent will find it easier to let the child have their own way. As someone earlier mentioned- some 3 year old children don't do rational debate very well, so rather than spend half an hour debating why they are being unreasonable in expecting that they should be entitled to a chocolate bar, and how throwing a tantrum isn't going to be rewarded, it takes a smack to bring them back to reality so to speak.

I actually don't get shocked if I see it, and I know parents who do it and friends my age who would've experienced it and it didn't traumatize them for life. I think it would be the rare number of cases that it would affect someone psychologically to get the odd smack at the back of the head.

But even still, I can't see how people think this is an acceptable form of behaviour. :confused: You wouldn't go around smacking your work colleagues for messing up, or your mate who you found out cheated on his girlfriend, you don't go and slap him across the face. It's not an acceptable method of teaching a child IMO and it certainly isn't necessary given the amount of people (myself as an example) who were disciplined in other ways that worked.

No, obviously you're not going to go around smacking adults because adults can be reasoned with (well, to some extent at least :D), but you can walk away from an adult. You can't walk away from a child. I should point out that my child is eight now, and I haven't had to smack him in a number of years (can't remember the last time actually), but I don't have to, because he understands by now that when I say no, I'm immune to his manipulation. I don't have to smack him because he doesn't throw tantrums and knows how to behave himself. If he wants something, he earns it, he doesn't just get given it by virtue of his birthright.

Everyone is different obviously, each and every child is different, with personalities of their own, so one child may be more headstrong and stubborn than another generally more placid child. Both children require different methods of discipline because they're different people.

• Advertisement

That's the dictionary definition of violence though. If you also google the dictionary definition of a human being (I did -
    a member of any of the races of Homo sapiens; person; man, woman, or child), it doesn't tell you much either, because it lacks context.

That's the definition of violence. Take it or leave it. I know people have different definitions of things but I don't really get how hitting a child isn't seen as violence.
    There will be people that will say there's no difference between a smack and belting a child, they're both as bad as each other. People's individual definitions are based on their own perceptions, which is based on a number of factors, the biggest one being their experience, experience influenced by their own childhood.

Who?

There are sliding scales to a lot of crimes. Mass genocide by an individual is obviously a lot more extreme than one murder. A serial rapist would be quite different to a guy in a club who wouldn't say no and kept groping/trying to kiss a girl. Do you see what I mean?

I've never smacked my child thinking "You'll remember this the next time you think about acting up".

What were you aiming to achieve by smacking your child then? I thought the whole argument behind it was that it was more effective as a deterrent to children.
    I know you referred to it as lazy parenting, but I can only speak for myself when I say that in MY opinion, the lazier parent will find it easier to let the child have their own way.

Because those are the only two options? Hit your child vs don't do anything? Absolutely not.
    As someone earlier mentioned- some 3 year old children don't do rational debate very well, so rather than spend half an hour debating why they are being unreasonable in expecting that they should be entitled to a chocolate bar, and how throwing a tantrum isn't going to be rewarded, it takes a smack to bring them back to reality so to speak.

Wow, really??? :eek: You would smack your child over something as trivial as that?
    No, obviously you're not going to go around smacking adults because adults can be reasoned with (well, to some extent at least :D), but you can walk away from an adult. You can't walk away from a child. I should point out that my child is eight now, and I haven't had to smack him in a number of years (can't remember the last time actually), but I don't have to, because he understands by now that when I say no, I'm immune to his manipulation. I don't have to smack him because he doesn't throw tantrums and knows how to behave himself. If he wants something, he earns it, he doesn't just get given it by virtue of his birthright.

Everyone is different obviously, each and every child is different, with personalities of their own, so one child may be more headstrong and stubborn than another generally more placid child. Both children require different methods of discipline because they're different people.

Different methods absolutely. I don't think smacking is ever an appropriate method of discipline. There are tons of other options for you yet you choose the easy way out IMO. That is lazy parenting.

I know I'm going to get lambasted for it on here because I don't have children and "don't understand". I'm sure if/when I have kids I'll be on the end of my tether on many occasions that I would like to take that easy option as well but I'd like to think I'd restrain myself. It's a child, not a stray dog FFS.

Advertisement