Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points Checker - Compare, analyse and predict CAO points

Options
  • 13-08-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

As a leaving cert student I felt we needed something to help us look at trends of CAO points.

I just launched CAO Points Checker to do this. You can try it out here: caopointschecker.com

Here's an example graph:
    1M1ys1G.png

I hope ye find it useful and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Fanatec
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Thats brilliant, thanks!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Aiming for Computer Science, Fanatec? :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Great website! Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fanatec

Aiming for Computer Science, Fanatec? :p:D

All going well tomorrow:), omnibus Engineering in UCD and hopefully into electronic in year 2.

TBH it was a tough decision between CS and Eng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Great site ;)

Saves trawling through different years on the CAO website. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Great tool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Just compared my courses in CIT and UCC (BIS), amazed at the difference in points throughout the years, UCC has spiked so much

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Just compared my courses in CIT and UCC (BIS), amazed at the difference in points throughout the years, UCC has spiked so much

I just did the same, But for UCC and NUIG. Hope they don't go up hugely again this year :/
    Great site btw ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ryank9

any one give their guess on points to rise on international business and language courses in dit

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Ryank9 wrote: »
    any one give their guess on points to rise on international business and language courses in dit

I think it shouldn't change too much , maybe stay around the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    I just did the same, But for UCC and NUIG. Hope they don't go up hugely again this year :/
    Great site btw ^.^

Hope to see you in UCC! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

MH203 or Computer science + software enginering Maynooth was 400 last year. Have it as my number 1. Got 440 points and Higher C3 in maths. Should be ok unless there are drastic changes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just (mod)bumping this, as it may be useful over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

what is de predicted points for primary teaching 2013 ? 8 per cent drop in applicants ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TripShip

jgjm wrote: »
    what is de predicted points for primary teaching 2013 ? 8 per cent drop in applicants ?????

Jaysus, people still want to be teachers??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah. People do still want to be teachers, and they hopefully will want to be for the rest of time.

Let's pray for those who lost their lives on Monday the 19th of August, when they accepted the offer to become a teacher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I'd be more concerned for the kids the other guy would be in charge of.

As in the guy who can't spell? :D

Yep. I'd assume he'll be among many others who will be rather disappointed with their offers tomorrow...

• Advertisement

LOL, that's a bit harsh

jgjm wrote: »

By looking at some of the trends of primary teaching courses it looks likely they will go down again. In 2012 there was a 6% drop in first preference applicants which can be correlated to a 5 points decrease in both Mary I and St Pats. This along with the fact that some applicants may have had bonus points means that 5 point decrease is even more significant. So with a 8% decrease this year I can only imagine the points requirements will go down again!

Here is a graph showing primary teaching where a downward trend is beginning to form:

19gYfwz.png

Of course, every year is different and completely depends on the applicants applying for the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Great website!! Fanatec I got 500 points in my LC. I want to do Law in UCD, which was 495 last year and 485 the year before. Do you think I have enough points to get it this year??

Hey, dunno how you're populating your database, but you seem to be missing a few years. I tried adding DN201 and it only gave me this year's points and last year's. Meanwhile on CareersPortal, they have all the points from 1998 to 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

This doesn't seem to work at all for TSM in TCD, TR001, or any of the individual subject combinations. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

yoho139 wrote: »
    Hey, dunno how you're populating your database, but you seem to be missing a few years. I tried adding DN201 and it only gave me this year's points and last year's. Meanwhile on CareersPortal, they have all the points from 1998 to 2012.

Hi yoho139,

Yeah, you’re right. This is because the course codes for most UCD courses were changed in 2011. E.g. the course code for computer science was DN030 but now it is DN201. If we included all course codes all the way down to 2005 we would be including a lot of discontinued courses.

This is something we are working on at at the moment.

Good luck next year.

Pending wrote: »
    This doesn't seem to work at all for TSM in TCD, TR001, or any of the individual subject combinations. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Yeah, TR001 TSM is the only course we haven’t compiled data for yet. It is more difficult than normal courses as there are so much combinations.

Ah cool, glad to see you're working on it. Always a pain to work around those exceptions, though.

Have you considered implementing some way to share your graphs? I can see a good few reasons not to do that, of course...

What language is this in? I'm having trouble reading your source... My knowledge of HTML is severely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Fanatec wrote: »
    By looking at some of the trends of primary teaching courses it looks likely they will go down again. In 2012 there was a 6% drop in first preference applicants which can be correlated to a 5 points decrease in both Mary I and St Pats. This along with the fact that some applicants may have had bonus points means that 5 point decrease is even more significant. So with a 8% decrease this year I can only imagine the points requirements will go down again!

Here is a graph showing primary teaching where a downward trend is beginning to form:

19gYfwz.png

Of course, every year is different and completely depends on the applicants applying for the courses.

Teaching in CICE bucked the national trend and increased by 40 points last year . Really, really need it to come back down again .

• Advertisement

yoho139 wrote: »
    Ah cool, glad to see you're working on it. Always a pain to work around those exceptions, though.

Have you considered implementing some way to share your graphs? I can see a good few reasons not to do that, of course...

What language is this in? I'm having trouble reading your source... My knowledge of HTML is severely lacking.

Thanks.

Yeah, sharing the graphs is a feature we are planning on adding along with other updates over the next few weeks.

I just PMed you with some info about the app.

Advertisement