Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPV Vaccine. Girls only?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MadsL wrote: »
    What? WHAT?

Gay men aren't worth bothering with? Bisexual men not worth bothering with?

And anyone can go to a Gay men's health centre - they don't test that you know all the words to YMCA and I will survive before you can get a Hep A&B vaccine y'know.

Agreed, quite a baffling comment really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm a bit confused by the high level of Atari Jaguar votes in this poll. Large numbers of "I don't give a shit" voters???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I'm a bit confused by the high level of Atari Jaguar votes in this poll. Large numbers of "I don't give a shit" voters???

Mention that some strains of HPV cause genital warts, and that like herpes they can crop up again and again.

Mention that some strains of HPV cause genital warts, and that like herpes they can crop up again and again.

You just did.

You just did.

Indeed, I'm very helpful.

You're welcome. :P

• Advertisement

Some very direct language about it on the HSE website.
    Why is the vaccine given to girls only?
    The HPV vaccine is being given to girls to protect them from cervical cancer which does not affect males.

Can the vaccine be given to boys?
    HPV vaccines have also been shown to be effective in preventing infection in men. Some countries, e.g. Australia and USA, already recommend routine vaccination for boys. This is not recommended in Ireland at present.

The question loudly begged is why?

Genital warts are the most commonly transmitted STI in the UK, and I presume Ireland. Here is a simple way to protect boys from infection. Yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Genital warts are the most commonly transmitted STI in the UK, and I presume Ireland. Here is a simple way to protect boys from infection. Yet...

It all boils down to costs... :rolleyes:
    But, I would like to see a breakdown of cost between the vaccine, and preventable cases of cancer or genital warts or whatever that the health service are paying for treatment for....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where did genital warts come from

Cost mainly.

Perhaps a view that homosexual sex is 'wrong'? Protect girls and then you won't have female to male transmission.

Ireland usually lags behind other countries and forward thinking would hardly be a strong point of the HSE.

Yes, it should be offered to both males and females, at a subsidised rate if necessary to ensure all are vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Gatling wrote: »

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/humanpapillomavirus.htm
    The most visible forms of the virus produce warts (papilloma's) on the hands, arms, legs, and other areas of the skin. Most HPV's of this type are very common, harmless, non cancerous, and easily treatable. Genital warts are known technically as condylomata acuminatum and are generally associated with two HPV types, numbers 6 and 11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

My understanding is that HPV is most commonly passed via sexual intercourse.

Now while there may be more cases overall (debatable) of illnesses that affect women than men as a result of HPV, I would have thought that targeting men rather than women would more sense if intercourse is the primary means of transmission - after all, whether hetro or homosexual you need a penis for intercourse (I suspect strap-on isn't a danger).

So while I'd agree that only one gender has been selected of vaccination for budgetary reasons, I'd question why girls were selected as that gender, as it seems not to make logical sense.

Unless there was some lobbying in the background, which I wouldn't be overly surprised at.

They come from some strains of HPV, not all strains cause cancer.

Response from James Reilly to a parliamentary question.
    International studies and scientific assessments suggest that the best way to prevent most disease due to HPV is to vaccinate as many girls and women as possible. Routine vaccination is not recommended for boys. According to research carried out by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the burden of disease associated with HPV 16/18 in males is small, as it is related to some anogenital and head and neck cancers and the efficacy of vaccines for the prevention of these relatively rare cancers is not yet known. Following an evaluation of the HPV vaccine in the Irish context, the National Immunisation Advisory Committee recommended that all girls of 12 years of age should be offered HPV vaccination.

This despite the fact that the vaccine IS licenced for boys in the UK.

What's the big deal

2 countries out of how many do it so we should ,

Try proper sex education first

What's the big deal

Abstinence is it?

What's the big deal

Condoms only provide limited protection, and HPV is not detected in STI screening.

You have 2 choices: vaccination or abstinence. What would you prefer?

Abstinence is it?

Expensive vaccines and knee jerk reaction's isn't the way

There isn't an alternative.

A big "Fuck You" to gay men is the way?

So while I'd agree that only one gender has been selected of vaccination for budgetary reasons, I'd question why girls were selected as that gender, as it seems not to make logical sense.

Other than oral sex. But yes, if intercourse is the primary means of transmission, then it would make more sense for males to be immunised.

• Advertisement

A big "Fuck You" to gay men is the way?

What are you spouting on about, what's gay men got to do with a virus that's predominantly a female infection in which some limited numbers can be pass on to boys/men in certain circumstances

What are you spouting on about what's gay men got to do with a virus that's predominant a female infection in which some limited numbers can be pass on to boys/men I'm certain instances

If the disease is eradicated in males, its main method of spreading is stopped. Eradicating it in females doesn't have the same effect.

I'd be concerned about your idea of "limited numbers" also. More than half the reported cases in Ireland are male.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19809385

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    A vaccine to prevent human papillomavirus (HPV) 6, HPV 11, HPV 16, or HPV 18 and associated diseases is licensed for females, and it may be licensed for men in the future. There are limited data on HPV 6/11, 16, and/or 18 seroprevalence in men.
    METHODS:
    A total of 490 men aged 18 to 40 years were enrolled in a study of HPV in men in Tucson, AZ, and Tampa, FL. Enrolled men completed a self-administered questionnaire, and HPV serology was performed using HPV 6/11, 16, and 18 VLP assays.
    RESULTS:
    Overall, seroprevalence to HPV 16 was 12.1%, HPV 6/11 was 9.7%, and to HPV 18 was 5.4%. Seroprevalence to HPV 6/11, 16, and/or 18 was 21% and was highest among 35 to 40 year olds (48%); prevalence in this age group was significantly higher compared to the 18 to 24 year olds (adjusted odds ratio (aOR) 6.8, 95% confidence interval (CI) 3.7, 12.8). Independent predictors of seropositivity to HPV 6/11, 16, and/or 18 were older age, greater number of female sex partners in the past 3 months, and current smoking.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    HPV vaccine-type seroprevalence was highest in 35 to 40 year old men. These data on the epidemiology of HPV seroprevalence in men are useful for discussions regarding recommendations for HPV vaccine if licensed for use in men.

What are you spouting on about, what's gay men got to do with a virus that's predominantly a female infection in which some limited numbers can be pass on to boys/men in certain circumstances

Because the stated aim is eradication of cervical cancer. The goal of this programme is to immunise women against HPV 16 and 18 - this leaves an STI in circulation in a male population that can cause throat cancer.

This is like finding a vaccine for HIV and only giving it to women. Then claiming eradication because no women have been infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That leaves the virus in open, untreated circulation in the gay population. It's best to vaccinate both boys and girls against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Response from James Reilly to a parliamentary question.

I find it strange that he would comment that there is no evidence that the vaccine protects against the various throat/head cancers that men can get. It doesn't prevent any cancers, it prevents viral infection, which can lead to cancers. Either he doesn't understand the basics of vaccination or he's using dishonest language to avoid a difficult answer.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Zillah wrote: »
    I find it strange that he would comment that there is no evidence that the vaccine protects against the various throat/head cancers that men can get. It doesn't prevent any cancers, it prevents viral infection, which can lead to cancers. Either he doesn't understand the basics of vaccination or he's using dishonest language to avoid a difficult answer.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

He has used the same stock answer twice.

Cut and paste from a HSE memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Anybody who what it should get it.

Advertisement