Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPV Vaccine. Girls only?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

In a recent interview Michael Douglas has just linked his throat cancer with oral sex.

HPV can cause cancer. The Centre for Disease Control estimates that about 12,000 HPV-associated cancers occur each year in men; oropharyngeal cancers are the most common.

Why is the Irish state only vaccinating girls?

Boys should also receive the HPV vaccine 29 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    89% 26 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Because...oh look, a penny....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Because men don't have a vagina.

If the girls dont get the human papilloma virus then they can't pass it on.

And Michael Douglas is not a doctor and I doubt he carried out a study.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Why would people ask Michael Douglas about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

MadsL wrote: »
    In a recent interview Michael Douglas has just linked his throat cancer with oral sex.

HPV can cause cancer. The Centre for Disease Control estimates that about 12,000 HPV-associated cancers occur each year in men; oropharyngeal cancers are the most common.

Because they don't want to spend the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness, this would equate to less than 200 cases in Ireland, if you did a direct per-capita comparison.

How many more cases are there of HPV-associated cancers in women per year? I'd wager you're talking factors of tens.

That said, it makes more sense to vaccinate everyone against stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If the girls dont get the human papilloma virus then they can't pass it on.

Is a vagina necessary for throat cancer??

What if a man has oral sex with a woman who hasn't been vaccinated?
    And Michael Douglas is not a doctor and I doubt he carried out a study.

High-profile example; he merely said that his cancer may have been caused by HPV. Jesus, read the article will ya?

Why would people ask Michael Douglas about this?

No-one.

He's an example not the expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He was/is a smoker also linked to throat cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness, this would equate to less than 200 cases in Ireland, if you did a direct per-capita comparison.

How many more cases are there of HPV-associated cancers in women per year? I'd wager you're talking factors of tens.

I would have thought so too but I had a look at some stats from the US here. It's reasonable to assume that the percentages would be similar.

While there is a bigger benefit in vaccinating women (10,300 cases of cervical cancer attributable to HPV between 2004 and 2008), there still does seem to be a big, though lower, benefit to vaccinating men (8,400 cases of cancer of the oropharynx attributable to HPV between 2004 and 2008).

So yes, the number would be smaller but not that much smaller.

Edit:

it does seem that women have a greater overall risk if you include all types of HPV related cancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kevo wrote: »
    I would have thought so too but I had a look at some stats from the US here. It's reasonable to assume that the percentages would be similar.

While there is a bigger benefit in vaccinating women (10,300 cases of cervical cancer attributable to HPV between 2004 and 2008), there still does seem to be a big, though lower, benefit to vaccinating men (8,400 cases of cancer of the oropharynx attributable to HPV between 2004 and 2008).

So yes, the number would be smaller but not that much smaller.

Jesus, stunned it's only twice as high (and no even actually twice as high)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Jesus, stunned it's only twice as high (and no even actually twice as high)!

Yeah, same here. Wasn't expecting to find that.

Michael Douglas did not say he developed throat cancer because of oral sex, according to his publicist.

The Hollywood actor was quoted as telling the Guardian that the strain of cancer he was diagnosed with had been caused by the sexually transmitted HPV (human papillomavirus).

But a statement from the 68-year-old’s publicist sought to clarify his remarks and said Douglas was not talking about his own cancer.

A statement from Allen Burry, obtained by the BBC said: “No. He [Douglas] did not say oral sex was the cause of his cancer."

though he also allegedly says eating pssuy cures it :)

Gatling wrote: »
    He was/is a smoker also linked to throat cancer

In fairness he is Micheal Douglas, so whilst he may have smoked 10-20 cigs a day, his actual exposure to women may have been much higher :D

Also a rather discriminatory comment. Men also give BJs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

[URL="[url]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/76197_633709993316682_282411567_n.jpg[/url]"]Pic[/URL]
    One strain implicated in this study (HPV-16) also is believed to contribute to 60% of oral cancers, 60% of cervical cancers, and 80% of anal cancers.
    More Info: http://bbc.in/1b9q3wP

my 5 year old was having his vaccinations in school recently, and I was told, when the time comes for HPV vaccine (11-12) then the boys may be getting it then too, but for now, it's only the girls.

Countries vaccinating boys: UK and Austria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I asked the nurses about this when they were giving the vaccine to the girls in our school. They agreed with me that it should be both, but that it was a money thing.

If it's hetero sex spreading it in the main, you'd think they'd want to knock it on the head for both halves of the team.

Mylina wrote: »
    [URL="[url]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/76197_633709993316682_282411567_n.jpg[/url]"]Pic[/URL]

More Info: http://bbc.in/1b9q3wP

my 5 year old was having his vaccinations in school recently, and I was told, when the time comes for HPV vaccine (11-12) then the boys may be getting it then too, but for now, it's only the girls.

Wouldn't parents insist?

spurious wrote: »
    I asked the nurses about this when they were giving the vaccine to the girls in our school. They agreed with me that it should be both, but that it was a money thing.

If it's hetero sex spreading it in the main, you'd think they'd want to knock it on the head for both halves of the team.

Where does that come from ???

If it can be spread through oral sex, then everyone has a tongue.

Wouldn't parents insist?

I will pay for it, if I have to when the time comes... I *think* it's between 600-1000 euro to have it atm...

Edit: 3 vaccines, over 6 months, at 200 euro each....
    http://www.womenshealthclinic.ie/cervical-cancer-vaccination.html?gclid=CNX084qC-7gCFexF2wod2X0Asg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

And this was roundly dismissed by experts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where does that come from ???

If it can be spread through oral sex, then everyone has a tongue.

Sorry, I meant more people tend to have hetero encounters than gay ones. Where they put it is another story.

Sorry, I meant more people tend to have hetero encounters than gay ones. Where they put it is another story.

LOL
    :)

And this was roundly dismissed by experts.

Sorry, HPV does NOT cause throat cancer??? :confused:

Source?

Mylina wrote: »
    I will pay for it, if I have to when the time comes... I *think* it's between 600-1000 euro to have it atm...

Edit: 3 vaccines, over 6 months, at 200 euro each....
    http://www.womenshealthclinic.ie/cervical-cancer-vaccination.html?gclid=CNX084qC-7gCFexF2wod2X0Asg

Yes, it was a tough one to wait a year when my daughter was looking likely NOT to get it. We were not looking forward to the €1000 bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Because its costs like €400 per person to vaccinate. If vaccinate girls that covers a majority of people they could possible catch it except for gay guys who could still get it. But then most gay guys gets free hep a&b vaccinates but that isn't given to the general public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It should be given to both boys and girls.

Another issue I have is that doctors only recommend it for people who have not been sexually active. Because HPV is so common there are estimates that at least 6 out of every 10 sexually active people have had at least one form of HPV in their lifetime, most never know or develop symptoms. So, you may already have been exposed to at least 1 strain, but I still think it would be worthwhile having the vaccination. Condoms only provide limited protection too, because there is still skin on skin contact.

I know another poster has given stats linking HPV to other cancers, but I do remember reading a report that suggested it may also be linked to penile and prostate cancers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Both genders should be vaccinated. It's been shown that certain HPV infections do increase the risk of throat cancer.
    Where they put it is another story.

:D

hfallada wrote: »
    Because its costs like €400 per person to vaccinate. If vaccinate girls that covers a majority of people they could possible catch it except for gay guys who could still get it. But then most gay guys gets free hep a&b vaccinates but that isn't given to the general public

What? WHAT?

Gay men aren't worth bothering with? Bisexual men not worth bothering with?

And anyone can go to a Gay men's health centre - they don't test that you know all the words to YMCA and I will survive before you can get a Hep A&B vaccine y'know.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »

The cost of the vaccine is a drop in the bucket compared to cancer treatment, and the cost of a life.....

Advertisement