Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism on television

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Why is only women have problems with their "digestive transit"? Has there ever been an ad in which a man played constipated? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,024 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There was a male fun run up here last weekend and you would think the ad would be aimed towards men right.

Nope it was aimed at woman saying get ye man out of the house, thought it was a bit sexist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

That fecking "Donal" ad - with the wife yelling at him and he being really gormless and buffoonish. Have to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Why is only women have problems with their "digestive transit"? Has there ever been an ad in which a man played constipated? :-)

Haha that one always bugs me. The Octiva (yogurt) ad too. I wouldn't mind but my tummy is all bloated today! :(

Ok I now I am going to sound like an old prude now but they mentioned this briefly on fm104 this morning.

Sharon Osbourne (again) on the Xfactor (sorry) over the weekend. She spent a considerable amount of time ogling Dermots midsection and commenting on his tight trousers.

She also made comments to a 16 year old (who looks about 12) asking to repeat his age as his accent made it sound like he was saying "sexteen". Now I didn't see/notice that part but it was mentioned this morning.

But its not the first time comments made about Dermots bulge etc. Now I personally don't really care and I don't think he does either but could you imagine if Simon Cowel or Gary Barlow were to make comments about a young girls tight pants referring to her crotch area!!

Now sure if that counts as sexism or not but sure its another post on here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Sharon has always been like that its infuriating.

She got a fair amount of criticism in the US when she praised a woman who cut off her husbands penis on US Loose Women style show The Talk. Only one panelist was critical of the woman in question. When that one panelist said how they wouldn't laugh if it was a woman's breast that had been cut off Sharon said that was "different".

She was essentially advocating and approving of violence against men.

Quick knee in the balls in the latest episode of How I Met Your Mother for saying someone was fat. Seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Quick knee in the balls in the latest episode of How I Met Your Mother for saying someone was fat. Seems fair.
    ? Would it be considered fair/acceptable if somebody physical assaulted a woman e.g. knee to the crotch, for saying something insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

iptba wrote: »
    ? Would it be considered fair/acceptable if somebody physical assaulted a woman e.g. knee to the crotch, for saying something insulting?

I'd say that may have been a sarcastic "seems fair".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

py2006 wrote: »
    Haha that one always bugs me. The Octiva (yogurt) ad too. I wouldn't mind but my tummy is all bloated today! :(

Eating those yoghurts won't work for your either.

Apologies if it's been mentioned but has anyone seen the ad for those chocolates where two men are in a skin bar ogling strippers and using euphemisms about womens' genitalia?? Me neither...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Sexisism is part of life. Anyone offended by it should head to the nearest hardware store, buy some wood and nails then build a bridge and get over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

naasrd wrote: »
    Sexisism is part of life. Anyone offended by it should head to the nearest hardware store, buy some wood and nails then build a bridge and get over it.

Mod note - naasrd if you have nothing to add to this thread then please don't post. Please read the forum charter before posting in TGC again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055651086

• Registered Users Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well now, apparently men likes to hit the oul women once their bloody football team doesn't win a game or two.
    Good to know....good to know.:rolleyes:

Panthro wrote: »
    Well now, apparently men likes to hit the oul women once their bloody football team doesn't win a game or two.

Oh dear lord

Oh dear lord

:confused:

:confused:

I'm dear lording at the video! :p

I'm dear lording at the video! :p

ahhh!! That's ok then!:D

ahhh!! That's ok then!:D

Could you imagine an ad that suggested Domestic Violence against men when coronation street ends. 'Men watch Corrie Too' being the slogan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Various TV series and films I have watch over the years:

Woman says or does something a man doesn't like and he hits her, he rightly gets charged with assault.

Man says or does something a woman doesn't like, she hits him and nothing happens or everyone feels he "deserved it".

The difference in of portrayal make violence towards women compared to female violence towards men has always struck me as ridiculous. Have you ever noticed how in romcoms there's usually always a nasty little **** trying to mess things up. If it's male he usually gets a punch/slap from the male/female lead but if it's female the worst she'll get is a slap from the female lead or some shameful showing up.

This clip from Cheers perfectly sums it up. It starts at 0:51 but why would you cut a Sam/Diane fight short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Is it so hard for these people to put "against women" after "domestic violence" in these ad campaigns? This idea that domestic violence only affects women is constantly being perpetuated.

Other than that, as long as the data supports it, I don't see much wrong with that ad in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

They claim to debunk it here:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/superbowl.asp

Anyone who's interested can read it:

http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/65383/2/cdworldcup.pdf

Interestingly though they claim it's +38% when England lose, but according to their paper it's 26% when they win.
    So probably **** all to do with football, more likely alcohol anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Just skimming through that study, it seems to be fairly limited in that in hasn't gone further than crunching the numbers and finding a correlation between world cup games and domestic violence, & has left pretty much open the question of causation.
    This study is limited in size, however due to the global explosion of televised soccer,it potentially has significant implications. Clearly it is important to ascertain whether this finding is replicated across the UK or other countries.

Similarly further research is required to distinguish the situational factors associated with this finding, an approach unavailable to this study due to the limitations of the data. Specifically it would be useful to understand: where and when the violence occurred, the precipitating factors prior to it occurring; the level of violence; consumption of drugs or alcohol; and a comparison between the expected and final result.

Advertisement