Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young and Engaged?

Options
2»

Comments

I really, really thought about proposing to my ex, at 19. I had planned to get the ring in a couple of days, but realised it was an enormously stupid thing to do, for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I just found out that an old school friend of mine is engaged. Normally this would be fine.

However this friend in particular, is only twenty years old. I know engagements can go on for a few years but it just seems strange to me that someone so young would be getting ready to settle down.

Is it strange?

What's his name? Slight chance we might know the same person :P

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

As Bill Murray said "getting married at 22 is like going to a party and leaving at 21:30...."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

MonsterMob wrote: »
    As Bill Murray said "getting married at 22 is like going to a party and leaving at 21:30...."

"With the person that you want to go home with forever."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    I fail to see the problem you have OP. It's their life and I know he's your friend but he's made that promise to her, not you. I say let them off and be happy for them if it works out and be there for him if it doesn't. I really don't understand why you need to have an opinion on it at all. None of your business and if it's not affecting your life in any way, leave them be.

I fully intend on leaving them be, all I wanted was to see what other peoples thoughts on the matter was. I just wanted to know if people getting engaged very young was found odd by anyone else, it's not a matter that I'm going to take action on.

It's a discussion board and something that I wanted to discuss came up.
    Generally people don't need an opinion on most things but we still form those opinions.
    Ciano35 wrote: »
    What's his name? Slight chance we might know the same person :P

Nice try. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

What's the current percentage for marriages that end in divorce in Ireland?
    They could end when you get married at 20 or when you get married at 50 or they could last forever in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A friend of mine at the age of 21 proposed to his girlfriend in a hotel room when she was annoyed at him for something. He later admitted that it was the only thing he could do to get the ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

MadsL wrote: »
    My daughters school was founded in 1964.

It just inducted a third generation pupil!!
    So average age of the parent and grandparent was 18!

Not really.......if the grandmother was in school as an 16 year old in 1964 and gave birth as a 26 year old in 1974 then her daughter (The mother ) would be leaving school at 18 in 1992 and if she also had a baby at 27 in 2001 then that child would be entering school at 12 years of age in 2013. so an average age of 26.....

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I was engaged at 18, married at 20 and 7 years and 2 kids later I don't have any regrets, love every minute....a while to go yet though :p

I got a serious amount of negative responses at the time but I never listen to peoples advice, it's usually a load of bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

MonsterMob wrote: »

Haha, that is brilliant :pac:

Girl I had been seeing when I was 16 had a "married" status on her FB a few years ago and seemed to be still with the same guy she had got with about the age of 18 (I was Bebo friends with her at this stage, but it was four or five years later that FB kicked off, and having not talked in four years I am not really the type to go adding people from back in the day I vaguely know anymore). There were no wedding photos on the profile mind so it may have been a joke, but still, she does seem to have been with the same lad all those years. Being restricted to a relationship for the entirety of your teens and twenties would kill me, you are only young once and you don't get a second chance.

I knew another girl where it was more of a case of wanting to give her old man a smack in the head. She was from quite a well off background, not your scobie type whose biggest ambition is mickey money and a corpo house by 18, but a bit soft in the head all the same, this guy was her second engagement like. He was some odd looking rocker type lad who appeared to be about 22 odd when she was 15, he even half lived in the family home with her. Up the duff before 16 far as I recall. Pure waste of a life if you ask me, except in that case the old pair really should have known better. I have no idea where she is now but I could bet she never did marry Kurt Cobain or whoever he styled himself after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

itle be over bye the time there in ther elate 20s

Advertisement