Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and "th"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NTMK wrote: »
    mentioning the metric system aswell causes them an untold amount confusion.

There are just three countries left who are officially not metric - the Unites States of Ameraky, Liberia and Burma (Myanmar). Though metric is used in various US state agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I lived in London for three months in 2011. All I'm going to say is that my pronunciation of 'th' words, coupled with my accent worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Ask them to pronounce "aluminium", "Caribbean" and "route". Ask them to explain why they spell the likes of labour, harbour and parlour without the "u". Ask them why they will "write you" rather than "write to you". And their calendars, days and months are reversed. Casues no end of confusion when dealing with American companies.

That'll learn them.:pac:

Ask them to show you their fanny , just for de craic, or even for some crack, depending on the situation, hilarious high jinks will ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

mike65 wrote: »
    There are just three countries left who are officially not metric - the Unites States of Ameraky, Liberia and Burma (Myanmar). Though metric is used in various US state agencies.

When youre on a list that only includes Burma and Liberia you know you have to change something

and AFAIK arent those US state agencies required to use the metric system due to critical involvement with other countries i.e Fed. Aviation Authority, etc

my rule with americans (family and otherwise) is if they cant pronounce my first name ill be damned if im taking english lessons off them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Tell them to **** off. It's how you speak, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Don't forget what happens when you turn 50 in this country, the following changes take place overnight:

Butter --> Buher

Kettle --> Ki-hel

Basically anything with 'tt' in the middle of a word magically morphs into a 'h'.

Not ubiquitous I guess, but common enough in the geriatric world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm often not understood outside of Ireland when saying words that end with an '-ar' sound.

If I say 'bar', for example, I'm regularly met by blanks looks until I pronounce it as 'bor'. I would say that 'bor' is a more common pronunciation of the word, but for the life of me I can't understand where the '-or' sound comes from the '-ar'.

If they pull you up on things like not pronouncing a 'th' sound to their satisfaction, pull them up on their '-ars'.

(That last sentence looks a bit strange!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mutley18 wrote: »
    How hard is it to pronounce th words? You southerners need elocution lessons. :P

From a nordie?

"Thus, Thon, theeyse and thoys, thaats thu wuy thu "TH" gouus"

No tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

elefant wrote: »
    I'm often not understood outside of Ireland when saying words that end with an '-ar' sound.

If I say 'bar', for example, I'm regularly met by blanks looks until I pronounce it as 'bor'. I would say that 'bor' is a more common pronunciation of the word, but for the life of me I can't understand where the '-or' sound comes from the '-ar'.

If they pull you up on things like not pronouncing a 'th' sound to their satisfaction, pull them up on their '-ars'.

(That last sentence looks a bit strange!)

But I think that our "ars" sound like "ors". And vice versa.

We, by English standards, over pronounce the r. ( Hence the mocking of the Oirish). To my ears the upper class English accent under pronouces the "r", so saying

I am going to Ireland, sounds not too distinct from

I am going to Island. ( Think Prince Philipp).

Bambi wrote: »
    From a nordie?

"Thus, Thon, theeyse and thoys, thaats thu wuy thu "TH" gouus"

No tanks

But the north is the part of IReland where they do pronounce their "th". A donegal friend of mine would fight back when we mocked his colloquialisms by asking us to pronounce 33.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

But I think that our "ars" sound like "ors". And vice versa.

We, by English standards, over pronounce the r. ( Hence the mocking of the Oirish). To my ears the upper class English accent under pronouces the "r", so saying

I am going to Ireland, sounds not too distinct from

I am going to Island. ( Think Prince Philipp).

Maybe it's a West of Ireland thing specifically then, but when I say 'card', or 'car' or 'far' it sounds nothing like an 'or' sound- and why should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But the north is the part of IReland where they do pronounce their "th". A donegal friend of mine would fight back when we mocked his colloquialisms by asking us to pronounce 33.

Should of askin him to count to 33

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ders more ta Ireland, dan dis!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Timmyctc wrote: »
    [/B]

Cant stand that. And people who pronounce Tongue THongue. Feckin Galweigans are the worst for that craic. :p

Or really exaggerating the "th" in Thai and Thomas. Bugs the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ders more ta Ireland, dan dis!

Ded roigh!

elefant wrote: »
    Maybe it's a West of Ireland thing specifically then, but when I say 'card', or 'car' or 'far' it sounds nothing like an 'or' sound- and why should it?

The point is you wouldn't hear it yourself. I am not from the West of Ireland, and English people hear me differently than I hear myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

The rule I learned for the non-pronunciation of th was 'Thames, Thomas and thyme'. But when I follow that myself, people look askance at me.

The one that does my head in is 'troath' for throat.

Thighland - as in Thailand - I hate too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Not pronouncing one's ' ths' properly can cause confusion. A ' thin cat ' is a cat who is not fat, whereas a ' tin cat ' is a cat made of tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Just stop saying three. Go from two to four. Problem solved me auld china!

Or you could hold up three fingers and say 'this many'

........ oh wait

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A Neurotic wrote: »
    One I'll never understand is how inner Dublin people replace 't' with 'r'.

"Ger ourr of ih!"

???

Never heard that. If ahen, we forgeh dere dere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Ask them to pronounce "aluminium", "Caribbean" and "route". Ask them to explain why they spell the likes of labour, harbour and parlour without the "u". Ask them why they will "write you" rather than "write to you". And their calendars, days and months are reversed. Casues no end of confusion when dealing with American companies.

That'll learn them.:pac:

Their dates are logically perfect actually, particularly if you're dealing with filenames on computer. Prime example of this would be documents titled with date first, writing our way of doing it, ie 12-08 would mean that every date is grouped together, so you get 12 12ths together. Their way, 08-12, groups all the entries for a single month together. It's a much easier system for cataloging dates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

COYVB wrote: »
    Their dates are logically perfect actually, particularly if you're dealing with filenames on computer. Prime example of this would be documents titled with date first, writing our way of doing it, ie 12-08 would mean that every date is grouped together, so you get 12 12ths together. Their way, 08-12, groups all the entries for a single month together. It's a much easier system for cataloging dates

Except they write the dates 04-22-2012, so it will still end up arseways on the computer. If you want things to be in the right order, you would have to write 2012-04-22, which no-one naturally does.

Also, I've never heard any Irish person trying to make a th sound in a place where it doesn't belong, I find it hard to believe that this happens.

You should watch RTE news, a few of the reporters do it fairly regularly and eyewitnesses trying to speak properly sometimes give it a blast too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Also, I've never heard any Irish person trying to make a th sound in a place where it doesn't belong, I find it hard to believe that this happens.

Plenty of times I see words written with h where they shouldn't giving talk of threadmills in the athletics forum and people talking about being thought things at school.

Have definitely heard both of those spoken wrong as well as written wrong, and there must be more examples I can't think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

You should watch RTE news, a few of the reporters do it fairly regularly and eyewitnesses trying to speak properly sometimes give it a blast too.

Yep, have heard one particular eejit on the radio talking about thighland and some interesting pronunciations of the name Thompson. Sounded like someone with a lisp sucking on a gobstopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Except they write the dates 04-22-2012, so it will still end up arseways on the computer. If you want things to be in the right order, you would have to write 2012-04-22, which no-one naturally does.

If you're only handling a year's worth of stuff at a time, it works just fine though. For multiple years, yes it groups them per month, then per year, but it's still a lot better than our system even at that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I recently moved to New York and for the first time in my entire life I am not surrounded by Irish people. My workmates are all American and they correct me every time that I try and pronounce certain "th" words (three being the exact same as tree,thunder,third,thrift.....). I really only began to notice that I can't say th's. Is this the case with most Irish people or is it just a Dublin thing? It's beginning to annoy me and its funny that I really only noticed now with the fact that I live in a foreign country. It's as if the th sound doesn't exist in our pronouncation or even possibly in the same way that British people can't or don't pronounce the letter r

I would love to know if anyone else noticed this or if its just a minority of Irish people that can't find the th?

Kevin

Is this you? We've been taking the piss out of you for years on this - Thhhhhomas and Judittttt

Pronouncing the "h" where it's silent and abandoning it when it's to be used.

(Kevin is a former colleauge of mine who has recently moved to New York.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

All I know is, you Irish love watching your "fillums on de telly"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I am pie wrote: »
    Yep, have heard one particular eejit on the radio talking about thighland and some interesting pronunciations of the name Thompson. Sounded like someone with a lisp sucking on a gobstopper.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Kevin

Is this you? We've been taking the piss out of you for years on this - Thhhhhomas and Judittttt

Pronouncing the "h" where it's silent and abandoning it when it's to be used.

(Kevin is a former colleauge of mine who has recently moved to New York.)

What's wrong with pronouncing the "th" in Thailand and Thomas? Correct pronunciation surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It's not a regional dialect issue in my experience.

Many Irish people who think they are pronouncing 'thrift', 'thunder', 'threw' etc. correctly are doing so in a way that would still sound wrong to English speaking foreigners. They may not be pronouncing it with a hard -t but they're still not pronouncing it like other English speakers.

I do it wrong myself. It feels wrong to make those sounds, I just don't.

Advertisement